So i got this 5150 combo in February and i've liked it a lot, but I'm sometimes annoyed by the fizz it has and i just can't seem to dial in the tone in my head, especially not for leads or cleans, which I'm starting to use in my music a lot. Also, the thing is a beast to carry around, so should i maybe sell it and get the Krank Rev Jr. Pro, i know i have to try it out, but it isn't out yet and the nearest krank dealer is 2 hours away. But heres what im thinking...

The Krank is a lot easier to carry around, i already have a 2x12 Genz Benz cab that is also quite easily transported. This will make things easier when I'm going to a buddies house to jam.

I really like the Krank tone, I've heard a few clips and it just sounds awesome, huge bottom end but still tight and it's just kind of unique from other high gain amps which is something I'm looking for. Also I'm really starting to want a better clean channel which I've heard the Krank's is quite nice. I guess the style i play is death metal, deathcore, black metal, melodic metal and progressive rolled into one, i need a good clean tone, a good heavy rythym tone, and nice smooth lead tone, like necrophagist.

The Krank will be plenty loud, right now I'm only recording.

I might even gain some money, I figure i can sell the 5150 combo for about 550-600, i got it for 500. It's in perfect condition and has fresh JJ's in the power amp and fresh Mesa's in the pre. The Rev Jr. Pro head is $600, but my friends uncle manages 5 guitar centers so he can get me a discount.

So UG, is this a good idea?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Go try it, se if you like the tone. Dont listen to people that say Krank sucks, and what not. Its always up to you. I think you should, because I returned my 6505 combo after a week I hated it so much. The head is killer though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
why dont you mod your 5150 instead.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
modding is an option, but you have to be real sure you want to keep the amp. Bias pot mod is pretty easy to do yourself, but having it sent out to be modded can cost quite a bit. Unfortunately, mods don't increase the resale value either unless you can find an informed buyer.

If you like the Krank tone, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. The new Pro series is supposed to have a few bonuses over the older Jr too from what I've been told, in addition to the foot switchable cleans. Haven't played either to make a real comparison though.

that said, tubes, speaker swap, and bias mod can really help the 6505 a lot.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I have a krank rev jr and I use an Ibanez RG 770 with dimarzios. I don't think its possible to get a necrophagist tone out of it (bear in mind my amp is stock, stock tubes and no additional pedals). I have got a killer death/metalcore tone out of it and almost have As I Lay Dying's tone nailed.

I have the standard version but I've heard that the pro series is quite a bit better. Go try it out and make sure you use the sweep control as it really is the key to dialling the amps best tones in.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I've been dying to get hands on a 5150 combo, are they that fizzy sounding? I play LoG, Devildriver, Metallica, Megadeth, Hatesphere type music, would it be okay for that? Plus, where do you live if you are selling yours, lol. Right at the moment I am selling my Randall in the hopes of getting a 5150 combo but they are sometimes hard to come by or they are going for like 750$ or 800$, remember that I am on the east coast of Canada.

Also, I have always heard good things about the Krank so it might be worthwhile.
well i've looked up mods, but they will still cost more than the Krank and i will eventually have to get rid of the 5150 in a year or so, because that beast is not coming to college with me.

but if anyone could suggest some great mods for around $400 or $500 USD then i will definitely look into it.

It isn't super fizzy, theres just a little fizz on top of the sound i can't stand, and the leads and clean tone aren't too wonderful but the rythym tone just crushes.

I think i just have a different tone in mind.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
I had a similiar conclusion this weekend. I have been demo'ing an engl for a while now and and its been a while since i have played anything else except for my rig of coarse. Well they finally sold the Engl i was messing with, but just got in a 5150 II so i was like alright one of my old favorites and plugged in and instantly heard the fizz. I never really noticed it before because the 5150 was at the top of the list of tones i loved and i always over looked its flaws. But after demo'ing engls and after playing on my own rig for so long, the 5150's flaws become really apparent. Still a great amp but its not something im Gas'ing over anymore because i've gotten to hear better tones with less flaws...

Still have to test out Krank, havent gotten my hands on one yet... But soon i will find one...
Its the speakers, the sheffield speakers Peavey put in em are absolute s**t. Put some celestion vintage 30's in it and it'll sound loads better
well I have thought it over and mods are out of the question, i need to sell the 5150 to get the krank. So I'll be a very little amount of money or maybe even gain money if i can sell the 5150 for a good price. Plus, i will be selling the 5150 in a year or two for college and mods don't really help resale value, so theres no real sense in it, i just want a different tone.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by jscustomguitars
Its the speakers, the sheffield speakers Peavey put in em are absolute s**t. Put some celestion vintage 30's in it and it'll sound loads better

i play it through my G-Flex Cab, it made it sound better, but theres still some flaws.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Definately try out a Krank before you buy. I love my Rev. Jr., but the tone isn't for everyone.
Yeah, definitly go try the Krank out. IMO if you think the 5150 is fizzy you'll think you just opened a bottle of coke when you play through the Krank! F-I-Z-Z !
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
So i got this 5150 combo in February and i've liked it a lot, but I'm sometimes annoyed by the fizz it has and i just can't seem to dial in the tone in my head, especially not for leads or cleans, which I'm starting to use in my music a lot. Also, the thing is a beast to carry around, so should i maybe sell it and get the Krank Rev Jr. Pro, i know i have to try it out, but it isn't out yet and the nearest krank dealer is 2 hours away. But heres what im thinking...

The Krank is a lot easier to carry around, i already have a 2x12 Genz Benz cab that is also quite easily transported. This will make things easier when I'm going to a buddies house to jam.

I really like the Krank tone, I've heard a few clips and it just sounds awesome, huge bottom end but still tight and it's just kind of unique from other high gain amps which is something I'm looking for. Also I'm really starting to want a better clean channel which I've heard the Krank's is quite nice. I guess the style i play is death metal, deathcore, black metal, melodic metal and progressive rolled into one, i need a good clean tone, a good heavy rythym tone, and nice smooth lead tone, like necrophagist.

The Krank will be plenty loud, right now I'm only recording.

I might even gain some money, I figure i can sell the 5150 combo for about 550-600, i got it for 500. It's in perfect condition and has fresh JJ's in the power amp and fresh Mesa's in the pre. The Rev Jr. Pro head is $600, but my friends uncle manages 5 guitar centers so he can get me a discount.

So UG, is this a good idea?

Its a good idea to sell it to me for $600, I'll even pay the shipping if you send it as a gift.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
If you aren't happy with your tone, sell it. No point in keeping something you aren't satisfied with.

On the other hand, what do you have your EQ and gains set to? Can you post your settings? I find that if I put the highs and mids at anything above 5 I get the fizz you are talking about
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
alright usually i have these settings:

Bass: 7-8
Treble: 5-6
Mids: 4.5

and I'm always changing the resonance and presence, i can never find a good spot

if the Krank is for me i will be putting up the amp on ebay so ill let everyone know

Can anyone speak for the lead tones on the Rev Jr.?
Are they really very fizzy too? The clips i heard sounded pretty good.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball