Poll: is it ok to have a stand on stage when performing?
Poll Options
View poll results: is it ok to have a stand on stage when performing?
Yes
11 11%
Never, you should know your music
42 43%
For certain things you may need it
44 45%
Voters: 97.
i figured this should go here since it has to do with my band, and performing with my band. Well my band knows a few songs by memory but im not very good at memorizing guitar and vocals for hours of music. so if we are playing at a party do you guys think it would be wrong to have a music stand up there for a few songs that i didnt memorize? or should i just take the extra time and memorize all that music? which i can do but i think we could get more material learned if we didnt have to focus on memorizing.

so what do you guys think?

EDIT:

they will be covers... since i write most of the songs, i have them memorized. and i was talking about covers going on for hours on end. that would be alot of memorizing
Last edited by BluMetalPlayer at Jul 16, 2008,
if they're covers then i don't see why not. it won't look cool
but it won't be such a bad thing
if they're you're own bands songs you should probably have them memorized
i've never had that problem
i remember things i played once like 2-3 years ago
I want Super Saiyan abilities
If you have the time to memorize do that, if there is NO other circumstances it is allowed.

As a muscian you should know your craft well enough to not be stuck behind a stand.

But thats just imo.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Try and eliminate the distinction you're drawing between learning and memorising. In order to have a song ready to play on stage, you really should know the piece backwards, forwards, and sideways. You need to be in a situation where, if you **** up, you know exactly where you are in the song and can adjust on the fly.

What's going to happen if you lose your place on the page? You're in trouble. Plus, it's going to stop you making eye contact with the audience.

Imagine if actors wandered around the stage with their eyes glued to a copy of the script. Not nearly as interesting.

Having said that, in some situations I reckon it's OK to have a tab with you on stage - if you're playing a load of covers, for hours at a stretch, having the chords for the songs isn't going to be a problem. And, of course, jazz and classical musicians often rely entirely on having the music in front of them. But if you're performing originals, and you don't know how to play them...that doesn't say much about the effort you're putting in, or how much you care.
I never use a stand on stage. It's just an obstacle to put on a good show.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
o my gawd u would look like such a noob with a music stand on stage

seriously dont do it

but if u do put it on youtube
If you need it, do it. Better to play the song well with a stand in front of you than to go up without a stand and screw it up.

Ideally, you will know your parts well enough to not need it.

As a singer/guitarist, I know it can be hard to memorize lyrics AND play the leads, and other guitar parts. You do have a harder job than the rest of the guys. Guitar you can fake. Vocals are harder.

I've gone up with lyric sheets on a stand before. It was a benefit thing where people got up and performed three covers. It was pretty short notice, and a real informal 'fun' kind of atmosphere. Nobody blinked at someone having a music stand up there for lyric sheets.

When I do original stuff and I think I might botch up a lyric in a song that could probably be a little better memorized, what I'll do is write down a key word from each line in large print on a sheet or two of paper, and put it down on the floor of the stage beside my set list. Nobody knows you have a cheat sheet, and it is easy enough to see for the odd line or two you might actually need it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
o my gawd u would look like such a noob with a music stand on stage

seriously dont do it

but if u do put it on youtube

Room full of n00bs!!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

i think it all depends on the setting. I played a small gig when i sat in with a couple of folk players. I played the ones i knew, but played them in a different key and met them 30 minutes prior to the show. It turned out alright but we had stands.

Stands have been used before but as i said its the setting, the picture above is an example, also how about the Unplugged performances they usually have a stand with some sheet music on it or cheat sheets of lyrics.
Check Out some of my recordings Here

"Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or punching a bag. It's not the thing in itself; it's preparatory to the activity"-Barney Kessel

Join Band of Gypsys
I was about to vote for yes, but i realised it was for a music stand as opposed to a mic stand.

It depends on context i reckon. Something where you aren't the main act or you're just there for the atmosphere (like playing at a wedding, at a restaurant, etc.), then i reckon it's fine. Hell, i reckon it'd be acceptable if you were a band supporting a solo artist. If anything, it'll focus more attention to the solo performer.

That said, if you're having trouble memorizing lyrics/song structure at short notice you could just stick a couple of post it notes to the mic stand for prompts or have some lyrical prompts stuck to the floor.
Depends strongly on the genre and the complexity of the music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It depends on how many songs you need to know. My band has a list of over 250 cover songs. Sometimes we don't play a song for six months & it's hard to remember. We need stands! If you only play one set of 10-15 songs you should memorize & look cool.
The past two singers in my band used to use music stands, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it be good to memorize original lyrics, because when your reading from a music stand an entire song, there's no time for you to move around.
I'm kind of against it. But only because I feel like if you are going to play a gig, you have probably hammered the songs into your head while preparing, so there's really no reason why you should need a stand, unless you always practiced with a stand. Vocals is a different story I suppose though, I have no experience with that..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by BluMetalPlayer
i figured this should go here since it has to do with my band, and performing with my band. Well my band knows a few songs by memory but im not very good at memorizing guitar and vocals for hours of music. so if we are playing at a party do you guys think it would be wrong to have a music stand up there for a few songs that i didnt memorize? or should i just take the extra time and memorize all that music? which i can do but i think we could get more material learned if we didnt have to focus on memorizing.

so what do you guys think?

EDIT:

they will be covers... since i write most of the songs, i have them memorized. and i was talking about covers going on for hours on end. that would be alot of memorizing

dude, try to memorize the songs. it's hard to work a crowd if you're staring down at tabs the entire time you're playing.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I remember seeing Guns'n'Roses and because we bought scalper tickets at the last possible minute (essentially, the scalper chooses to give the tickets away for $20/pr or goes home with a hand full of tickets and no money.... out of resentment, he gives you your $20 tickets, but gives you the crappiest ones in his hand...) we had pretty crappy seats. They were about half way up and at about the 4:00 position to the stage (with straight in front being 12:00, and due right being 3:00). Because we were sort of behind the stage a bit, we could see a lot that the rest of the audience couldn't. One of the wedges along the front of the stage - you know... the triangle-shaped speakers that face the band - was not, in fact, a speaker monitor. It was a video monitor, and it was flashing up the words right in front of Axl in case he needed them.

CT

I would say no for a rock gig but if it was jazz or classical then yes.

Or if your in a backing band which I've done before.. Good times..
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
For deeper songs yes, unless you want to walk about the stage like Freddie Mercury.

It all depends on if you can use it on stage. Not for sexual plasure though.
Whenever I play stuff for church (read: songs I don't really want to memorize), I usually have a stand, but I put it off to my right, not in front of me. That way, if I go "Oh ****, how does the bridge go?!" I can just glance off to my right and check. More often than not, I forget it's there and, at the end of the set, I notice that it's still turned to the first or second song.

I never use 'em when I'm doing anything else, though.
For a rock band, stands are pretty lame unless you're a hired gun who isn't at the front of the stage "performing".

For lots of other genres, though, it's perfectly acceptable. Jazz guys have chord charts all the time if they're sitting in, etc.
Eh, if your playing like a straight forward 5 song rock set never have stands on stage it just doesn't send off the right vibe.

But if your playing a four-five hour party with loads of covers of course a stand would be fine.

I lol'd at the "room full of n00bs".
i kind of had the same problem in my last gig
i didnt learned the lyrics of a couple of songs
do what i did, improvise!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by axemanchris
I remember seeing Guns'n'Roses and because we bought scalper tickets at the last possible minute (essentially, the scalper chooses to give the tickets away for $20/pr or goes home with a hand full of tickets and no money.... out of resentment, he gives you your $20 tickets, but gives you the crappiest ones in his hand...) we had pretty crappy seats. They were about half way up and at about the 4:00 position to the stage (with straight in front being 12:00, and due right being 3:00). Because we were sort of behind the stage a bit, we could see a lot that the rest of the audience couldn't. One of the wedges along the front of the stage - you know... the triangle-shaped speakers that face the band - was not, in fact, a speaker monitor. It was a video monitor, and it was flashing up the words right in front of Axl in case he needed them.

CT

That's different.
Like you said, nobody in the audience knew it was a video monitor with lyrics.
If you're playing a local show or whatever, it's kind of hard to mistake a music stand.

Plus, it's Guns N Roses, so they can get away with stuff like that.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
That's different.
Like you said, nobody in the audience knew it was a video monitor with lyrics.
If you're playing a local show or whatever, it's kind of hard to mistake a music stand.

Plus, it's Guns N Roses, so they can get away with stuff like that.

Well yeah, what if Axl is so drunk he can't remember the words?
Okay, given that the cheat-sheet screen is not visible to the audience, it is a bit different than having a music stand, but my point in posting that was that even the most established rock icons, who are generally prepared like crazy for their individual parts and as a band, aren't too proud to do what it takes to get the most successful performance.

I'd sooner have a person up on stage checking his cheat sheet on a music stand and singing the words properly than mumbling and fumbling his way through a song that he couldn't remember the words to so had to improvise his way through it.

And hey.... if Segovia or Williams or that room full of n00bs otherwise known as the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra can use music stands, then dammit, so can I. haha

I do also agree though that it depends on context. If you're rocking out to ten of your own original songs or something, I can't think of a good reason to not the words memorized.

CT

Quote by litus
i kind of had the same problem in my last gig
i didnt learned the lyrics of a couple of songs
do what i did, improvise!

Translation:

I didn't do my job and memorize the songs like the rest of my band did, and so I just made up words and looked like a moron to both the audience and my band mates.

Quote by axemanchris

And hey.... if Segovia or Williams or that room full of n00bs otherwise known as the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra can use music stands, then dammit, so can I. haha

Orchestral scores are typically much longer and more complex than your 3-12 minute rock song. Members of the orchestra are also typically not "putting on a show" for the audience. It's apples and oranges.
Last edited by Nijyo at Jul 22, 2008,