Hey UG

I've been playing guitar for just under a year, I'm in a band, we are considered quite good, by most. I play Rhythm and do vocals. I've been told by my vocal coach that I should take up piano because it is good to both develop my voice and write songs with.

I honestly think that I'm a pretty average guitarist, one of the best in my area, there isn't much competition. (UG kicks my arse lol) I'm wondering how difficult would it be for me to take up piano, reading music is no problem and I know a fair bit of guitar theory.

I would like to know both how long it would take me to be quite capable and where I should start (and please don't say those beginner books, they are a serious waste of time, all it teaches you is where middle C is and time signitures.)

Thanks
TJ
buy a keyboard, it is worth it and really expands your musicianship
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by spiderjerusalem
buy a keyboard, it is worth it and really expands your musicianship

I have a piano
It's tough to say. Ideally if you could get a teacher, that'd be best. For now, maybe get some chords down and just mess around a bit. If you're wanting to throw some piano in your music you don't need to be able to play incredibly complex runs and arpeggios just yet. For learning some songs I've found that sheet music can be a bit tough to find. But if you have GuitarPro or Powertab look at some of the files on this site. All of the instruments on those files include sheet music.
D:
Signature.
Quote by Atomic48
It's tough to say. Ideally if you could get a teacher, that'd be best. For now, maybe get some chords down and just mess around a bit. If you're wanting to throw some piano in your music you don't need to be able to play incredibly complex runs and arpeggios just yet. For learning some songs I've found that sheet music can be a bit tough to find. But if you have GuitarPro or Powertab look at some of the files on this site. All of the instruments on those files include sheet music.

Now that's what I wanted to hear :P I'm going to get a chord chart of the net when I can be bothered hooking up the printer, and next time I'm at the music store I'll pick some stuff up.
I've learned a lot of songs by ear and some of the tabs on Ultimate Guitar. Bruce Springsteen has pretty much taught me how to play the piano.
I use to play piano bout 5 years ago and i now have a guitar that ive been playing for about 2 months. Since having my guitar i decided to play my piano again. It would be good for you to get a teacher but if you know the notes then u can quite easily teach your self no probs. Its easy once you know the notes.
Sometimes when i see a piano i play it, I never had lessons before.
Still i can play simple songs i know, do some chords, do some arpeggios, improvise, etc. The only thing that you really need to play that work it for me, was music theory. Just translate everything to piano notes, if its complicated to play it with sharps, transpose the stuff to easier Keys like C or G