Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys (and gals)

I have been looking for my first E Guitar. I have narrowed it down to the PRS SE or a MIJ or MIA Strat. My fav guitarists are Mayer and John Frusciante. I know they both play Fender Strats so that was my initial decisions. However, I have been reading on these boards that the PRS might be a better option because it is more versatile. It seems many here like to bash on Fender because of recent quality control issues.

What do you think I should do?!
I vote American Strat

edit: How is anything more versatile than a strat? Great cleans, to metal? They anr good for anything.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by sacamano79
I vote American Strat

agreed.
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.

Me+Rap= Rap
wow that was easy. how does the MIA strat compare to a standard PRS? i want a guitar i will LOVE and will want to play. guess that is why i am starting with a good guitar and probably a vox da5 and/or guitar rig 3
Yet i see many of you own gibsons... is there a reason for the difference?
Strats and Gibsons are like apples and oranges. For what they're made for, they're incredible. They fit your style perfect. I'm not the Les Paul guy thats gonna crap all over Stratocasters because they don't do what I play well.

I play Gibsons because they fit me better than a Strat would.
Gibson.
I would trade my SG for a strat is I could. Its an awesome guitar, great tone, but strat has great tone and a great feel.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
cool... i think i like the single coils more. it might be that i prefer the clean tone of it. i am sure after playing for another year i will probably want to get a les paul or a prs (another thread). I have been practicing on my ovation acoustic for about a half year and just want to go electric cuz i love the range of sounds you guys can get. So i guess its the MIA strat for me! now i have to deal with spending all that money.... NOOOOOO
do they make an american version? should i stay with MIA or go with MIM cuz its my first guitar
well since its your first electric, i assume you dont have an amp. if you dont, go for the MIM so you have money left over to buy an amp
I am assuming an MIJ would be just as good? like the aerodyne?
I don't think it comes in black, but I love my Highway One strat, cheapest made in america strat, very versatile and plays great. It can reproduce the tones you hear on 'Under the Bridge' and 'Give it away' for example. (That's about as modern as my playing gets however. I'm much more inclined to use the strat for Richard Thompson/Mark Knopfler sort of tones and get out the Les Paul for overdriven stuff.)
Check out the levisson blade rh4. Its effectively the same a strat except its an absolute dream to play instead of being good like a MIA strat. Also its the most versatile guitar I know of, got electronics and shiz. www.bladeguitars.com
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
woah i think those might be a bit out of my price range. i was trying to keep it under a grand. more and more i read, the more i think i might go for a MIM or MIJ.....then again, buy what you can afford right...
strat and if you want more versatility go with the hss strat for sure
"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi Hendrix
If it's between an AMERICAN (or possibly MiJ) Strat and a PRS SE, I'd say the Strat. But if it's down to a MiM and a PRS SE, I'd honestly go get your hands on each to see what you like better in your hands, what sounds better to you, etc. The PRS SE's are pretty good bang for the buck, but they are definitely NOT their big brother, which is pretty much the norm when it comes to any "entry level" model or series by a brand.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^ agreed.

Quote by defjef
do they make an american version? should i stay with MIA or go with MIM cuz its my first guitar

go mij, cheaper than MIA, far superior to MIM (superior to the lower MIAs too, depending on the style of strat you're after).

while i agree that a strat isn't super-versatile if you need heavy sounds, if your two favourite players play strats, then it'd make sense to go for a strat. just hope you don't suddenly start to appreciate melodeath, lol.

also, don't cheap out on the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got an MIA Standard HSS Strat as my first electric, I just love it and enthusiastically recommend it.

Quality control issues? Huh? This thing is an absolute work of art! I got the sunburst to show off the woodgrain. The neck is silky smooth, the rosewood fretboard is beautiful with flawlessly clean frets and beveled edges, and the hardware is gorgeous. And it stays in tune wonderfully, even with me fiddling with the tremelo.

The MIA also comes standard with a heavy-duty hard case that looks like it would survive being thrown out of an airplane.

Now, I may not be able to play the thing worth a damn (yet), but I'm still 100% happy with my decision to get this particular guitar. I'm going to have this thing for the rest of my days.

Do it.
that little devil smiley just did it for me.... i was just at my friends place who plays guitar all the time. he said if you are serious (which i am) and will play all the time (which i will) get the american. strapped for cash, just sell it. he said he has had his MIA Jimi Hendrix Strat for 12 years and would never ever sell it. i will still check out a few MIM and MIJ guitars when i go to GC tomorrow and see how they feel. my buddy will come with me too so its good to have 2 opinions. i guess its time for me to just bite the bullet and buy a guitar that i will keep till i am old and give it to my son- a long long time from now. I am 27 by the way. and this board rocks
I would go with the strat. Either American or Jap.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
It's great and dandy having a MIA Strat as your first guitar; but what about your amp? Don't be fooled in by the brand name Marshall, the low end models are pure ****.
HSS Fender MIJ Strat with bridge pickup swap and proper set up.
I don't even shred
How do I know if it is a Fender MIJ strat? for example the HSS FENDER HIJ STRAT mentioned above. is there a name for it? like the "standard" is MIM and the American Standard is MIA
oh and i plan on getting a vox da5 to practice on and possible do simple recordings with. When i get good enough to gig, i will be sure to come on here and ask for everyone's opinions again. I am leaning towards a blues junior but i am not sure if i like the fender sound. i do love a vox so maybe a valvetronix or just gettin the ac-30
i would seriously check it out, if not check the rh2 its got some features such as trem which arent quite as good but it will still kick a fender backside in the behond
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Wait,this is your first guitar?!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
yeah its my first electric... i have an ovation balladeer for my acoustic. dont really like it
Quote by defjef
How do I know if it is a Fender MIJ strat? for example the HSS FENDER HIJ STRAT mentioned above. is there a name for it? like the "standard" is MIM and the American Standard is MIA

the japanese ones normally say "crafted in japan" on the back of the neck heel, just above where the neck bolts on. that's the easiest way to tell.

I haven't tried the vox da5, but it's definitely supposed to be a contender. Another option would be a roland microcube which would also be worth a try. Just basically get whichever you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd go for the PRS i have an SE standard and i love it to pieces, had it for about 3 years now and it is still going strong after heavy gigging etc
dude go with american strat..but dont do vs posts anymore...you might get reported for it(but iwont cause im nice)
Thanks for reading this... Ladies
right i knew about the no VS but my final decision came down to these two so maybe i should have replaced "VS" with "OR"

anyways i am off to GC to go play with some guitars
Page 1 of 2