I have a Korg ToneWorks multiFX (AX1000G) that I want to replace with stompboxes. The problem is, the Korg has a "US high gain" distortion setting which on high gain settings produces a nice modern distortion - you get a nice bass thump when you palm mute your strings.

I have been trying several boxes to try to get a similar sound - boss ds1, ds2, metalcore, digitech bad monkey, electro harmonix hot tubes and a bunch of others - but they all sound thin and synthetic to me.

I'm have a Ibanez SA32FM which I run into the Korg and into a Vox AC30 CC2.

I suspect that the Korg adds in some compression to the mix with that effect to get that chunky sound - but everyone I've spoken to seems to think compression in front of distortion is a bad idea.

Is there any pedal out there that produces a distortion like this out of the box? Or do I need to use it in conjunction with another boost pedal or maybe the preamp on my vox?
I hear the oppositve, a good compression after distortion makes it thick, saturated, and chunky.

*shrug*

I have yet to try it out, but you should at a store or something. Ask for a distortion pedal and a compressor pedal and get to it!
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
i run a compressor and OD pedal.

i like it.

you just have to tweak the compressor so the right signals go through and nothing is too compressed.

honestly there are many ways to get nice chucky dist.

you could either get a nice dist pedal.

or/and throw an e.q in the mix to perfect the tone.

your imagination/budget is the limit!
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
i run a compressor and OD pedal.

i like it.

you just have to tweak the compressor so the right signals go through and nothing is too compressed.

honestly there are many ways to get nice chucky dist.

you could either get a nice dist pedal.

or/and throw an e.q in the mix to perfect the tone.

your imagination/budget is the limit!

Do you run the compression before or after dist?

Do you have any suggestions of a good distortion pedal?

Thanks!
If you want really good distortion, maybe you should switch the Vox AC-30 with something a bit more ear shattering. To quote James Hetfield, "You gotta use the amp distortion, man!".

A lot of hi-gain pedals also create a little bit of noise, and putting a compressor after it just makes it worse. If you can, try and look for a gated compressor. For a really good sound you could go with a MXR Smart Gate into a Keeley modded compressor.
I just got the Vox for its great clean tone - most of my band's songs are pretty clean with the exception of 1 or 2 songs where I need the high gain distortion - so not worth it getting another amp for my dirty sound

I will try different combinations of compression, distortion and noise gates on Saturday... Borrowing a Visual Sound Route 66 OD pedal from a friend which I might buy from him, will throw that into the mix as well.
Sansamp gt-2. There's the new character pedals by tech 21 you may wana look up. I just love the soundclips.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Wow, that Gt-2 with the california rhythm sample is almost exactly what I want! Just needs a touch more harmonics on the mids, but I'm sure it can be tweaked.

The metal muff I've listened to the demo on their site, but haven't tried - sounds very middy like most pedals aimed at metalheads seems to be! Might be great for shredding, but I need this thing for rhythm playing and like turning my mids down.
what?? you got a VOX AC30 and dont use its distortion? woow
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by peterocker
what?? you got a VOX AC30 and dont use its distortion? woow

I use it lightly overdriven, but because there is no foot switch for the lead boost channel, there is no way to switch from clean to overdriven. But I bought it recently, so if you have any ideas please share

Also, no way to get that high gain distortion out of it I need.
Tried out the Tech 21 Sansamp Tri AC and its exactly what I wanted!

Should maybe have realized earlier: Korg ToneWorks US High gain distortion = Mesa Boogie emulation = Tech 21 Sansamp "California".
Big Muff? Metal Muff? Something MUFF!!!

Yeah, I'd recommend them.

EDIT: Oh, I think you may have tried them.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Ibanez SM7
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by nbroers
Tried out the Tech 21 Sansamp Tri AC and its exactly what I wanted!

Should maybe have realized earlier: Korg ToneWorks US High gain distortion = Mesa Boogie emulation = Tech 21 Sansamp "California".

Nice. Go get it.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots