Do you know some? Im thinking of buying one.
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...
why??
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
you shouldn't buy an amp just because of it being a solid state, you should buy an amp because you like the way it sounds.

but without completely wasting your time..

what kind of amp are you looking for? practice? gigging?
what style of music?
a 2 channel or a modeler?

help us out here!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
well what do you want one for, the Roland Jazz Chorus is good for cleans, the Line 6 Vetta is good for being able to do a lot of stuff, and randall makes some pretty good amps for super high gain stuff.

Quote by Kivarenn82
you shouldn't buy an amp just because of it being a solid state, you should buy an amp because you like the way it sounds.

unless you want something that's lightweight and extremely reliable, which are the major advantages of SS over tube amps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

unless you want something that's lightweight and extremely reliable, which are the major advantages of SS over tube amps.

Actually, while SS amps are more reliable than tube amps, some SS amps are built so cheaply (Spiders and MG's for example) that they're not very reliable. So the "extremely reliable" part is worded more harsly than needed. It also gives the impression that tube amps are fragile, which is not true either.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Actually, while SS amps are more reliable than tube amps, some SS amps are built so cheaply (Spiders and MG's for example) that they're not very reliable. So the "extremely reliable" part is worded more harsly than needed. It also gives the impression that tube amps are fragile, which is not true either.

comparatively tube amps are a lot more fragile than SS amps, also anything low end is going to be unreliable, I've plenty of stories about tube amps frying due to poor construction/components.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
comparatively tube amps are a lot more fragile than SS amps, also anything low end is going to be unreliable, I've plenty of stories about tube amps frying due to poor construction/components.

Yes, a well built tube amp is more fragile than a well built SS amp. But not as much as people think. Google the video about the Crate amp being thrown. That's a good example. I don't think any one tube amp could take such abuse, but they're not gonna explode if you accidentally hit your foot on one or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Yes, a well built tube amp is more fragile than a well built SS amp. But not as much as people think. Google the video about the Crate amp being thrown. That's a good example. I don't think any one tube amp could take such abuse, but they're not gonna explode if you accidentally hit your foot on one or something.

I'm not saying they are that fragile, but if you're touring or something SS amps are a lot easier to deal with, not to say you shouldn't tour with a tube amp (I do, but always have an SS backup) but in those sorts of conditions they can get broken fairly easily, they are also a lot more sensitive to climate changes.

Last.fm
whats your budget?

Otherwise i will blindly recommend the Roland JC-120. It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Do plug guitar into it; just use it as clean amp if it works. The distortion channel is a bit sucky but the cleans are awesome, and if you want distortion use good quality pedals or multi-fx the amp also has a really nice chorus/vibrato built in.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I want something blues/classic rock oriented. My budget is up to 550$. Roland cube? Ibanez tb100h?
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...
Roland JC
Line 6 Vetta's and Flextones are decent
Randall makes some great SS amps
Marshall Valvestates the Heritage I and Heritage II series are decent for marshall tone
If i remeber correctly the old Trace Elliot Supertramps were good as well
I personally love Flextones. The cleans are awesome, but the distortions are a bit crappy. They are reliable, and they look really cool too !

Other than that, you could get a pod and a decent Poweramp. That sort of setup is reliable as hell. And it will sound sweet too.
What about Ibanez tb100h? Randall half stack? Roland cube 60?
I love my cube60. Lots of sounds, great cleans, great distortion. Its also really sturdy
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Enough for gigs?
Honestly, for blues and classic rock, you just can't beat a nice valve amp, classic rock in particular just makes me think of the sound of overdriven power tubes. And I'm sure there are some very respectable valve amps in your budget.

However if you really must stick to SS the Vox AD100VT is nice (I wouldn't want to go below 100W SS for gigs to be doubly sure.... I had a 100W SS amp that I really liked but it would start to thin out considerably at gigging volume so I imagine a 50 watter would struggle more). It's not brilliant, but its lower gain sounds are better than anything else I can think of off the top of my head, SS-wise.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If you want blues try to find an old Roland Blues Cube, those things kick ass.

Last.fm
Back in the day I had a Fender Princeton Chorus that was really an amazing solid state amp. I believe it was an 87 and it was perfec t for practice and small gigs. I would recommend that amp if you can find one. I know they are going for pretty cheap on ebay.