K i'm really good at alternate picking and i'm just learning sweep picking. My question is: should I bother doing fiendish scales all alternate picking, or should I just focus 100% on economy picking? Bcuz for playing a single string, alternate picking is easy, but if I have to change strings I can always sweep right? Or is there still a reason why I should continue to practice string-skipping alternate picking only scales? Thx.
Whichever suits you better, try out pure alternate picking then try out economy picking, whichever feels more natural to you is what you should do, but some people can hear the difference between economy and alternate picking, alternate picking sounds slightly more rhythmic than economy picking, but it can be very hard to pick out the difference in tone.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Whichever suits you better, try out pure alternate picking then try out economy picking, whichever feels more natural to you is what you should do, but some people can hear the difference between economy and alternate picking, alternate picking sounds slightly more rhythmic than economy picking, but it can be very hard to pick out the difference in tone.

+ 1 to that.

The choice between the two is almost purely academic; you can get just as much speed with either as long as you practice well and enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.