ok, so i have a yamaha aes 620 electric guitar and i need to replace the pots

guitar has 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes and a master tone, 3 way toggle switch

i think i need 500k solid shaft pots and a 0.22 cap

does anybody know wether i need long or short shaft pots for this guitar ?

i am thinking of gettin the "£16.00 J BASS CTS WIRING KIT" from this sites page -

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm

am i right in thinking that pots are pots and that this bass set will work fine for my yamaha?

any help appreaciated
Who makes the Pups?
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
yes you are right in thinking that. pots are pots there aren't specific pots for bass or guitar
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
the pu's are a sd JB in the bridge and a yamaha alnico hb in the neck.

again are these long or normal shaft pots for my guitar ?
skater dan0, you're wrong. Pots make Very noticeable difference. Using 500k pots will brighten tone, 250K will be warmer, and 25k pots will be again warmer.

You mister synster slash, will need 250K pots. I'm not quite sure, but .05 caps might do you.

Don't buy a pre-made wiring kit from there. Do it yourself, you'll thank yourself after.

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Quote by SG310user
skater dan0, you're wrong. Pots make Very noticeable difference. Using 500k pots will brighten tone, 250K will be warmer, and 25k pots will be again warmer.

You mister synster slash, will need 250K pots. I'm not quite sure, but .05 caps might do you.

Don't buy a pre-made wiring kit from there. Do it yourself, you'll thank yourself after.

1) i'm aware of that but there isn't a specific bass pot or specific guitar pot, you can use 250k 500k or whatever value you want on either

2) with humbuckers you would generally want 500k

3) also be aware that there are different pots for volume and tone although i can never remember which is which i believe its logarithmic for volume and linear for tone

4) that wiring kit from axesrus is bloody good quality it comes with CTS pots and Sprague orange drop caps

5) normally you only need long shaft pots if your guitar is a les paul
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
1) i'm aware of that but there isn't a specific bass pot or specific guitar pot, you can use 250k 500k or whatever value you want on either

2) with humbuckers you would generally want 500k

3) also be aware that there are different pots for volume and tone although i can never remember which is which i believe its logarithmic for volume and linear for tone

4) that wiring kit from axesrus is bloody good quality it comes with CTS pots and Sprague orange drop caps

5) normally you only need long shaft pots if your guitar is a les paul

The way you said it kinda gave me the impression that you didn't know squat.

Go to Warmoth.com and you can get all the electrics there for i think 15 bucks, but get better quality wires. CTS pots too.

thanks.
im not realy interested in the wire as i dont plan on doing a "full rewire" i just want to change the pots. that other stuff comes with the pack so who am i to say no to free stuff.

also ive read that basic rule of thumb is : HB - 500k + 0.22 cap, SC - 250 + 0.47 cap
elsewhere i have also seen 0.33 caps for guitar so i guess its just personal preference.

SG310user i dont want to buy anything in dollars

i think ill just get the said kit from axesrus. thanks for your input guys.
Last edited by SynySter SlaSh at Jul 16, 2008,
The long shaft pots are pretty obvious they are close to an inch long. The short shaft ones are much shorter. If it has a pickguard like a strat then they will be short shaft. Not even all LPs need long shaft. Go with the 500ks for humbuckers. As you have solid shaft you probably have metal knobs with set screws they work with the regular splined split shaft pots to. The pots skater was talking of were audio for volume and linear for tone. They do tend to work better and have a better curve so the volume doesnt do nothing until it hits 3 then drops suddenly.