ok, so i think im getting this tube combo this weekend and i am new to tube amps so...

which tubes do you think would be best suited for a 5150?

and before some of you say to look at the "Everything you need to know about TUBEs thread"
i read this, but i am still confused a bit...

it sounds like JJ or Tung-Sol preamps are best, but what about power?

i like a lot of hardcore, metalcore, rock if this helps in tone differential

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I use electro harmonix tubes in my 5150's.... Also I like the Mesa boogie tubes which you can get from your mesa dealer. I'm friend with the guy that runs my local music store. I get my entire amp changed out with all the tubes for 60 bucks. You wouldn't believe how much profit they make on these tubes.
so EHX & Mesa are pretty good power tubes?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Aren't Mesa tubes just relabeled tubes? I could be wrong about that. Anyway, are you changing the tubes right away for no reason, or does the amp that you're buying already need it?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Your best bet on that amp would be Tesla/JJ 6L6s for power tubes, and Tung sols 12Ax7s in the preamp section. EH tubes are decent, but IMO for the most part JJ>EH. Also Messa Boogie tubes are just rebranded budget tubes, so really you are better off to staty away from those.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Aren't Mesa tubes just relabeled tubes? I could be wrong about that. Anyway, are you changing the tubes right away for no reason, or does the amp that you're buying already need it?

from what the guy said, the amp has just been re-tubed w/ probably 30 mins of play time of the new ones..i know it may be a while before a new retubing, but im just curious about when that time comes, what i need to buy

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Oh, wow, I hope you have a good memory, then, b/c it's probably going to be 1 to 2 years at the least before you need to retube.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...

I have EH power tubes and Tung Sol pre amp. Cleaned up the amp up a bit, mainly coz the tubes in it before were terrible. But ti's a good set up.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
JJ power tubes are good but certainly not the best.

If you want the best sounding amp you can have, tube wise, I'd get some SED =C= 6L6s and a mix of preamp tubes, a different one in each position (ie: Hi-Gain JJ, Tung-Sol, Shuguang, Penta, Sovtek). Mixing preamp tubes will allow you to change them around to achieve a different sound instead of being stuck with one sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah I believe they are. Just saying whatever they are they sound good. I'm not sure what company they generate from. I'm sure there are the same tubes for cheaper without the mesa name but I'm not sure what brand. I def like them though. They are very high quality tubes and sound good in the 5150. Mesa is good about caring what they put in their amps.
^A lot of times, rebranded tubes are Sovteks (usually utter crap), etc. But hey, if you like the tubes, that's what matters.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Those mesa tubes are fine man. I know quite a few people who use them over any other brand in their 5150's... thats what made me do it to try it out. I really digged them. Tried JJ's and it just wasn't like everyone said. Electro harmonix is what im using right now because im able to get them for a cheap price at my local music store. I'm really not sure if they are rebranded though i just kinda figured they were. To bad LSU don't play Tenn this year or we'd kill them. Guess in october alabama will have to show them how it's done too. Although I'm sure we'll see the polls screw all the good sec teams again this year. Divison 1 needs a playoff!
^Wow, and to think I actually didn't despise you for a few minutes there.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
What do you think about them not wanting Farve to come back to Greenbay? I mean wtf. I was pissed.
That whole thing is just one big circus.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yeah and they don't want to release him so he can play for anybody else. I'd kinda like to see him play for another team and take them all the way. So they'd be pissed.