I play a lot of metal and metalcore (BFMV, COB, Slayer). The amp I've got right now is an Ibanez MIMX and it is set to the Guitar God setting, which is just a mock up of a Peavey 5105 II. Now, I really like the mock setting as it allows me to achieve a very desirable tone, but I feel that if I like the Peavey tone, I should purchase a Peavey amp. I've heard of the Valveking and read reviews, but I want to know if it would be a good purchase. I need an amp that can give me tight highs and crunching lows. Could the Valveking give me that awesome thrash tone?
The Valveking barely gets close to a nice 5150/6505 tone. If you're looking for it on a budget, get a Bugera or a used 5150... they can be had for about $500-600 if you look hard enough.
I've heard they've got good reviews, but they don't do extremely brutal metal tones very well (Think Priest and Maiden, not Slayer and Lamb of God or the likes).
What sort of guitar do you use? If it's a rather distortion-friendly type, it may work. I'd still recommend the amp, just maybe buy a distort pedal to go with.
EDIT: I keep hearing about Bugeras, but the only ones I've found are Behringer Bugeras. Given the amount of stick the company gets, they surely can;t be the same... Can they? )
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
I play a lot of metal and metalcore (BFMV, COB, Slayer). The amp I've got right now is an Ibanez MIMX and it is set to the Guitar God setting, which is just a mock up of a Peavey 5105 II. Now, I really like the mock setting as it allows me to achieve a very desirable tone, but I feel that if I like the Peavey tone, I should purchase a Peavey amp. I've heard of the Valveking and read reviews, but I want to know if it would be a good purchase. I need an amp that can give me tight highs and crunching lows. Could the Valveking give me that awesome thrash tone?

Get a MG it has that CRUNCHING OVERDRIVE for those crunching lows.

No, just kidding. Don't get a valveking, its not a very good amp. Spring for 700 and get a Traynor All tube. You won't regret it.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
^^They're made by Behringer, yes. The QC's rumored to be a bit hit or miss, but not much moreso than other cheap tube amps, and you'll probably getting a warranty anyway.
The valveking with speaker swap, od pedal and eq can get you a really decent thrash tone but thats about as metal as it gets. Which wouldn't really be a problem in your case.

Bugera's are another good option and are based off of the peavey design and tone.

Or you can get get you a high gain peavey which would be your best bet. Your choices are the Ultra, XXX and JSX all great for thrash tones. The 5150 is a great amp but its a bit to modern and dark for thrash in my opinion..
Quote by silhouettica
Get a MG it has that CRUNCHING OVERDRIVE for those crunching lows.

No, just kidding. Don't get a valveking, its not a very good amp. Spring for 700 and get a Traynor All tube. You won't regret it.

seriously dont get an MG, thats a sin, commandment #11 I believ is- "thou shalt not actually play a ****ty amp..."
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Yeah dude i have a valveking and i'm slightly disappointed. Luckily i play in an alternative band too and it's cable of those parts, but it's not as brutal as I expected.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
I have heard alot of VK's that had speaker and tube swaps that were set right (like EQ and such) that got a great metal tone.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I have heard alot of VK's that had speaker and tube swaps that were set right (like EQ and such) that got a great metal tone.

True. But for that price, you can pick up a used 5150 or something better, which

A) Gets a better metal tone, and
B) Has more resale value.

I don't know why turd- polishing has become so popular to recommend lately.
Well I dont know why the 5150/6505 is becoming so popular these days either, but apparently it is.

I mean the 6505 212 combo is 60 watts and $1200 brand new. Cheapest I have seen them sell for is around $650 used. A VK 112 combo is 50 watts and sells for $400 and for another $100 or so, you can make it sound great for metal.

The thing is, buying a modding a VK is the same thing as buying and modding the Epi VJ. They are both a modders amp, built to sound generic so the user can customize his/her own sound. Relatively cheaply too. I mean anyone who can use a screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters can mod a VK to exactly what they want. Vk's have never been sh*t amps, they are only sh*tty in the hands of people who dont know what to do with them.
^When most people talk about modding it, they're usually talking about a Tube + Speaker swap. Swapping out the stock tubes sets you back around $60 if you get halfway decent, not particularly nice tubes. Something like a Celestion V30 costs about $120, so that's a grand total approaching $600. I've seen 5150 combos go for about that, heads for even less.

Not to mention that for metal, the 5150 still sounds much, much better stock than the VK does modded. Plus, a speaker/ tube swap in the 5150 gets you an even nicer tone.

And still, a modded VK won't sell for more than $500. A stock 5150 will.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Well I dont know why the 5150/6505 is becoming so popular these days either, but apparently it is.

I mean the 6505 212 combo is 60 watts and $1200 brand new. Cheapest I have seen them sell for is around $650 used. A VK 112 combo is 50 watts and sells for $400 and for another $100 or so, you can make it sound great for metal.

The thing is, buying a modding a VK is the same thing as buying and modding the Epi VJ. They are both a modders amp, built to sound generic so the user can customize his/her own sound. Relatively cheaply too. I mean anyone who can use a screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters can mod a VK to exactly what they want. Vk's have never been sh*t amps, they are only sh*tty in the hands of people who dont know what to do with them.

Not to jump in but 5150 combos go from $450 to $550.

Also the main issue is people are looking for br00talz and try to go down the VK road which causes a big issue. The amp is a versatile amp and a modder amp like you said but alot of people are miss-informed and are not told that in the begining. People just pop off and say hey get this amp and this amp and there is no resoning behind it. Also if someone has a $500 dollar budget and want metal out the box a used 5150, XXX, Ultra combo is a better route for there money. Which is what the other guys is refering too..

And sorry for the intrusion
I'll try to be brief as I wanted to add something.

I get the whole Vavleking argument, both sides. I only arrived here this past March and may have missed a lot of the discussions but after deciding to get serious about guitar I spent maybe a half a day Reading thru various guitar forums and decided to make UG my one and only home. The immediate responses I got from almost everyone was 'get a tube!'.

well, I didn't want a used amp. I wanted a brand new amp that had a warranty and that I could call my own. My problem was I wanted to do the Blues AND Metallica type stuff and everything in between and struggled to find something versatile enough to get me started with a budget of only $400.

sure, I could have waited and saved up more but I am impatient and was growing tired quickly of my Frontman. I seriously considered a Spider III. I played as much stuff as I could. I think I made the right decision which is why I will sometimes, not always, recommend it if I think a TS is in a similar situation that I was in. Plus some of the latest UG'r clips sound pretty impressive to me and would hate for someone to not listen and make their own decision.

PS. I'm sure I will grow out of my Valveking as well and move on but I don't get all the bashing and hate. I mean people are saying 'don't get a Valveking' even when it was never mentioned. And if someone creates a Valveking thread because they have a question, maybe just stay out of that thread and move on. Opinion.

PSS. I think I have moved past my fear of used amps - which i why i recommend it so often.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 16, 2008,
Fact is almost any half-decent two-channel valve amp can be made to do metal. My VC30, with its new speaker and even a 12AT7 in the gain stages, using my Strat with vintage single coils, running a 7-band EQ with a midhump and 15db of level boost, gives a brilliant brown-sound type tone.

The Valveking doesn't sound bad for metal but it can be made to sound a lot better. IMO my amp sounds way better but admittedly I have been tweaking it for ages... The VK would need more tweaking if anything but i'm sure it could reach it.

That said, the ones i've tried have shown to actually have quite an insignificant amount of gain with the guitars I used them with. That may be more down to tonality but it's lacking midrange IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
TS the VK can get a decent metal tone, with a speaker swap, OD pedal, and an EQ pedal (if you want one). You can also get a decent - good metal sound with a VK, if you have or can find a good distortion pedal and are decent at EQing. For example I have played around with my VK and DF-7 enough to get a good metal sound. The bottom line is that you should try the VK out and see for yourself.
Last edited by G-man05 at Jul 16, 2008,
try it yourself. I really like the tone i get with my setup, but at the same time, I wont say its the best option out there.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Another thing to thing about is even if you do grow out of it, it makes a great secondary amp or filler for the new amp.. Example i was thinking about selling mine until i stereo'ed it with my Ultra. It really helps to fill out my sound..

And +1 to sg622
I know for a fact that a VK can get a good metal tone; last week I saw a prog metal band live and both of the guitarists were using VK heads and while they weren't a particularly good band their tone was pretty brutal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Another thing to thing about is even if you do grow out of it, it makes a great secondary amp or filler for the new amp.. Example i was thinking about selling mine until i stereo'ed it with my Ultra. It really helps to fill out my sound..

And +1 to sg622

also i believe Mike H. to be responsible for the whole "upgrade a valveking" trend going on here on UG.

also, to the ts, i have a decently recorded/played "scream aim fire" cover in my profile played through the valveking.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Last edited by sg622 at Jul 16, 2008,