A local timber yard in Australia stocks English lime. is this similar to basswood, used in solid bodies?

thanks guys,
Member #5 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.

PM forsaknazrael to join
Also, what do you guys think of this stuff.. Gilet guitars (Australia) sell one piece blanks of Plantation Mahogany, grown in Fiji. It's cheap as chips, but would it sound cheap also?

PM forsaknazrael to join
it wont matter, its an electric guitar, as long as its not plywood, all that matters with wood are weight and look, sound.... not so much. as long as its a solid piece of wood, it will vibrate pretty well. id loe to see some of the english Lime, ive never heard of it.
Quote by LP Addict
it wont matter, its an electric guitar, as long as its not plywood, all that matters with wood are weight and look, sound.... not so much. as long as its a solid piece of wood, it will vibrate pretty well. id loe to see some of the english Lime, ive never heard of it.

Rubbish!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
lime never heard of but do you mean pine
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by the snow queen
A local timber yard in Australia stocks English lime. is this similar to basswood, used in solid bodies?

Basswood is 'American Basswood', aka Tilia americana
European Lime is Tilia europaea
Ive not used Lime, but it "should" be suitable, as all the Tilia family have good percusive qualities. The family is the same, the species isnt.

Quote by the snow queen
Also, what do you guys think of this stuff.. Gilet guitars (Australia) sell one piece blanks of Plantation Mahogany, grown in Fiji. It's cheap as chips, but would it sound cheap also?

Fijian Mahogany, aka Meranti, is used by Epiphone. Its cheap, light weight, and has none of the properties of 'real' mahogany. 'Real' Mahogany, isn't available in Australia, and cannot be imported any more. Its perfect for a guitar project, if you like, but dont expect it to be as nice as once built from the more commonly used tonewoods, or 'real' mahogany.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
There are other timbers which do the Mahogany vibe without the muddiness, and with clearer mids, nicer grain, and are more easily obtainable. Im stocking up on those now, same as PRS, Warwick, and Fender

In the mean time, i have 3-4 years worth of Mahogany.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
This may be a little off topic, but...
I heard a rumor that in the very early days when Paul Reed Smith started making guitars for himself, he bought or acquired old beautiful mahogany furniture and disassembled it and made guitars out of that wood.

Perry, Why can't you get mahogany to Australia anymore? Is there a shortage?
Quote by Dreamality
This may be a little off topic, but...
I heard a rumor that in the very early days when Paul Reed Smith started making guitars for himself, he bought or acquired old beautiful mahogany furniture and disassembled it and made guitars out of that wood.

Perry, Why can't you get mahogany to Australia anymore? Is there a shortage?

It was actually flame maple cabinets, and he patched up the holes where the drawer knobs were.

Mahogany has been CITES listed. www.cites.org

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Okay, what about using only native/local timber, eg:
QLD maple neck, QLD walnut top, for the body and fingerboard, maybe silky oak and Jarrah?
If so, does anyone have any ideas about the tone of such timber or any other suggestions?

PM forsaknazrael to join
Last edited by the snow queen at Jul 18, 2008,
qld maple is supposed to be quite similar to 'real' mahogany. but not having used 'real' mahogany i wouldnt know. i made the neck of my neckthrough build from qld maple, and plantation mahogany from Gilet for the body wings. she doesn't sound too bad
Your neckthrough build is very nice, where did you get your timbers from?

PM forsaknazrael to join
cheers. the qld maple for the neck was from australian luthier supply's. google will help you out with that. the jarrah laminate is just some i had lying around. the mahogany and the blackwood headstock veneer is from Gilet. And the blackwood top i got from a saw miller in yackandandah. and ive got another piece saved for another build ;]
was your neck quarter sawn? I got a quote from a local timber yard but its for flat sawn. would this be strong enough with a double action truss rod?

PM forsaknazrael to join
yeah mine is quartersawn. i advise laminating it with another timber like i did to further increase stiffness. a double action truss rod wont give it enough stiffness to let you use flatsawn unless you stiffen it with carbon fibre rods up the side. your best bet is to get a flatsawn piece and laminate it with a different timber.
thanks for the info,

Gilet has one piece quarter sawn blanks for acoustic necks, pefect size. Fingerboard and body wood, i'm not sure about... I'm still trying to go for local/native timbers

PM forsaknazrael to join