Poll: What should happen about driving restrictions?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should happen about driving restrictions?
Nothing
6 4%
An age limit
10 7%
Retake drivers test at a certain age
92 65%
Retake drivers education and test
34 24%
Voters: 142.
Page 1 of 2
I know this is semi long, so if you don't want to read it just skip down past the picture for my question.

I have included a picture to make this easier to follow, so if you're confused just look at it and I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

So the other day I was driving to work and I came to an intersection where I have to turn at, I was in the left lane and this old lady was in the right lane (both of which are left turns) and the light turned green.

I started to pull forward when the old lady basically started going in a straight line from where she was at to the road we were turning on to and I had to slam on my breaks so she wouldn't hit me. She drove through both turning lanes on her way over to the other road, kept going straight into a turning lane on the other road and then almost hit the curb. She hit her brakes and almost came to a complete stop on one of the busiest roads in the city, then slowly turned back into the lane she was supposed to be in and kept going straight.

I caught up to her down the road and she glared at me and shook her fist because I honked at her when she almost hit me earlier. She clearly didn't think that she did anything wrong and it made me wonder how she could still have a drivers license.

The green arrow is my car and the red one is hers, the red line is the path she took and the part that I circled is where she almost hit the curb and almost stopped. The dashed lines are the borders of the turn lanes and the thick black line at the top is the curb. The top lane (next to the curb) is a right turn lane to get into the various businesses along the road and the other two lanes just go straight.

So does anybody else think there should be restrictions on driving? I don't think that age should limit people from driving, but it certainly affects some people and they shouldn't be able to get a license.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
youll find out i fyou watch "grey dawn" (southpark) they should retake there test at 65 i think
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
Quote by n47713
youll find out i fyou watch "grey dawn" (southpark) they should retake there test at 65 i think

I just watched that episode! Awesome
An elderly driver made an illegal left hand turn out of a gas station and killed a student at my school. They should retake it at a certain age, because I imagine people forget a lot of things over the years.
I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
I think once you've reached a certain age you should be retested every so often, and every time they have a major change in the driving theory you should have to relearn it.

It really annoys me that people like that can still be on the road (especially as I have a motorbike license so I'm far more vulnerable to old people behind the wheels of cars).
Yeah, they should retake tests increasingly with age. I was at my work as a grocery carryout, and one lady parked at a forty-five degree angle, straight between two parking spaces, and she just walked straight into the store.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by 1337s933k
An elderly driver made an illegal left hand turn out of a gas station and killed a student at my school. They should retake it at a certain age, because I imagine people forget a lot of things over the years.

That and a majority of elderly people's hearing, vision and response time aren't as good as people who are younger.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by saphrax
People should be retested every (x) years.

Wait dont they already? My parents have to go in and take the test to get their licenses renewed every few years.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
My grandmother is a hazard to everything around her when driving a car. She goes way too fast, brakes way too late, hardly uses her mirrors at all, and her eyes are pretty much locked straight ahead constantly. It's hella fun to be in the car with her!
i actually wrote a paper and presentation on this...we used clips from the south park episode to illustrate our point and then people thought it was funny til we brought news reports of similar accidents.

i believe that people need to be retested every two years after they turn 55 and every year after 65. in addition they need to pass a physical with an eye exam and reflex test and a doctors note saying they are safe to drive and take no medication restricting their driving
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
i think that after a certain age they should have to be tested every 6 months for many things which will determine if they keep their license.

eye sight, reaction time, speed control, etc. should all be tested.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Free of charge, the tests are expensive.

I don't think that they should be free, but they should definitely be less expensive than the initial test you take.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Age limits.

My grandfather is 80 years old, and he breaks at green lights.

I love him but he should not drive anymore.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by jxmxaxn
Wait dont they already? My parents have to go in and take the test to get their licenses renewed every few years.

Not the road test, they're just getting their eyes checked and recognizing signs.

But it's not so much that they're forgetting the rules of the road, it's that their mental and physical capacities deteriorate at different rates. I work as a waiter at a retirement home, and some relatively young (60-70) people there would scare the living crap out of me behind the wheel of a car, while some of the oldest ones (80+) I'm sure could drive fine.
I think after a certain age they should be put on a little island together.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by kidsilcon
I think after a certain age they should be put on a little island together.

I just had this horrible picture of all these old people sitting in their wheelchairs on the beach complaining about kids these days and how they want their cars back.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
On a four lane highway with two lanes separated by a barrier in the middle, I once saw an old guy and his wife going the wrong way.
Quote by st.stephen
On a four lane highway with two lanes separated by a barrier in the middle, I once saw an old guy and his wife going the wrong way.

Whats worse is you just know that they were both complaining about all these young drivers who are on the wrong side of the road.
old people have to retake their test at like 65/70 something like that, here in england.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
no age limit, because im sure there are 80-90 year old people that are perfectly capable drivers.

but i do think that once you hit say 65 or 70 years old you should be forced to retake your drivers test, or at least pass some sort of test to assure that you are still capable of driving. then maybe take one every time you go to renew your license after that age.
They should just have to prove their sanity and control at the wheel every couple of years once they reach seventy. But, then again, old people tend to drive at about three miles per hour.

Has anyone else seen the video of an old man in a Robin Reliant trying to drive over a railway crossing and then a train just barges him out of the way? Teh funnehz.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
People should be retested. It's stupid to think that because you can drive well when you've first learnt you always will be able to.
I saw an old lady run a red light and nail a small truck with her humongous Buick and flip it clear over.

I was ran off the road by an old man swerving everywhere.

Make retake their tests every year.

Hell, I'd do it and not care about it.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by blynd_snyper
Whats worse is you just know that they were both complaining about all these young drivers who are on the wrong side of the road.

Yeah they looked like they were complaining
My grandfather is 75, and he's a great driver. Probably as good as any relatively young driver. He's also a carpenter who can lift alone a load it would take about 10 people my age to lift, so I guess he's not just any elderly.

People should be retested though, I'm not saying everyone is like that.
man i say just let them have some fun out there, hell, let them drive blind folded to spice it up
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
Quote by saphrax
People should be retested every (x) years.

Why would a healthy middle age driver need to be retested? It's a waste of money.

If they were to instate a drivers test for those who reach a certain age, it must be free of charge. A lot of people of that age NEED their cars to get around and also don't have that much money at all thanks to a bad state pension.
i always was nervous riding with my grandparents, till i was riding with em once and got nailed by another car...and the driver was older than them! she was like 90, i felt bad, but i thought she shouldn't have been driving.
I've had to write a piece of coursework on this. My conclusion? It's wrong to say that ALL older drivers are bad drivers. Yes, there are massive decreases in how much light can get to the retina and reaction times, but there are problems like these in some younger drivers too. Independence is a big issue. Many older drivers restrict the amount they drive and where to do so to keep themselves safe anyway. Solution? Govt. spends loads more money on tests.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I hate old drivers. I always seem to find myself behind them when I'm running late. It's far more dangerous to be driving 10 under the speed limit than it is to be driving 10 over.. I say we just round up everyone over the age of 65 and place them in a rocket bound for the center of the sun.

And if you disagree, fine, but what's YOUR plan for social security?

EDIT: but seriously, you need to be able to see and think quickly to drive and most "seniors" cant do one or the other... some can, and that's fine, but my sister got hit by a guy with dementia when she was PREGNANT and almost lost her baby... test them or something, I dunno.
Quote by Craigo
Why would a healthy middle age driver need to be retested? It's a waste of money.

If they were to instate a drivers test for those who reach a certain age, it must be free of charge. A lot of people of that age NEED their cars to get around and also don't have that much money at all thanks to a bad state pension.

I don't think that it should be free because of all the money the government would lose just from testing old people, but it should be a very low cost, just enough to pay for the expenses of testing them.

EDIT:
Quote by pratt121
I hate old drivers. I always seem to find myself behind them when I'm running late. It's far more dangerous to be driving 10 under the speed limit than it is to be driving 10 over

Agreed, people driving 10 under causes a lot of congestion and causes other drivers to drive too closely and develop road rage.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Jul 16, 2008,
Back when I worked in the Co-op, I had an elderly customer who repeatedly forgot her money for the morning paper. Yet she was on the road. Sanity tests should be done.
It's not just the elderly that should have to retake their tests. It'd be a good idea if everybody did every 5 years or so.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by Craigo

According to Keynesian economics, testing drivers on a regular basis would stimulate the economy. Not that I agree with it, but I'm just saying.
I think all elderly people that no longer aid society in anyway, or at the very least, don't have a loving family, should all be gathered up and taken to an island or something. They are old and dried up. No one loves them and they serve no purpose in society. All their knowledge has been passed on (if anyone cared what they had to say) and they are now a burden. If they ever mowed down a pedestrian crossing the street because they forgot where they were, then I say, throw them the hell away.

I don't want to say "kill them" but... christ, they are all gonna die anyway.

But, we can keep the old people that are loved by their families, are amazingly sharp and resilient, and still have knowledge and wisdom to pass on... and give them an annual drivers test... just to be sure.

/extreme fascist ideas
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
It's not just the elderly that should have to retake their tests. It'd be a good idea if everybody did every 5 years or so.

It seems kind of unnecessary to have somebody who just went through drivers education five years ago to retake their test. Maybe after 10 or 15 years, but it shouldn't be every five since most younger people don't have hearing or vision loss, not to mention the number of mental disorders the elderly develop.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

I don't want to say "kill them" but... christ, they are all gonna die anyway.

You're going to die some day, why don't we just end your life early too?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Page 1 of 2