My friend said that laying your guitar down instead of leaning it against the wall or a stand can cause damage to the neck. Is there any truth to this?
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
Lay it down, just dont ****ing step on it!
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
you guitar goes through more abuse just by playing it that laying on the ground.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your friend's an idiot. What does he think guitars are doing inside cases?

haha
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
its true!!! it just depends on where you lay it and what your driving over top of it...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
on gibsons the body does get held up by th headstock but it doesnt do any damage
its bull****.. and actually.. lay it face down so u dont accidentaly change tuning ^_^
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by Andron17
on gibsons the body does get held up by th headstock but it doesnt do any damage

actually, the biggest weakness in gibsons (LPs at least) is the neck that doesnt mean its fragile tho, but i know ppls who just fell on ice, bumped the hardcase in the ground and snapped the neck x(
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
i heard something about if you lean it up against he wall, with the headstock supporting all the weight, it will warp the neck over a long period of time... is THAT true... or is it just another myth?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
i heard something about if you lean it up against he wall, with the headstock supporting all the weight, it will warp the neck over a long period of time... is THAT true... or is it just another myth?

that doesn't make sense either. if you lean it against the wall (with the idea that its standing up) the majority of the weight would be on the body of the guitar, possibly the strap button.

or are you talking about standing it up on the head with the body in the air?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Jul 16, 2008,
A strat will lay flat with no pressure on the neck, a LP will tend to have one end supported by the headstock not the best thing. But leaning a guitar in a corner or laying it on the floor is a good way to end up with a broken guitar. Mine are either in a stand or in a case problem solved.
It's true about the leaning. If you lean it against a wall at a severe enough angle for a serious amount of time, it will warp the neck. Granted, I don't think anybody is gonna actually do that, but just in case - get yourself a case or a stand, I wouldn't take chances with your guitar.
If you're laying a guitar down, I would honestly be more worried about scratching the surface of whatever you lay it on, but usually if you just lay it down to give it a break, maybe for a few days, I doubt anything will happen. Just don't jostle it around, sit on it or knock it off a table, and you should be fine.
itll only get damaged if you fall on it or stand on it
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
I agree with Tackleberry, buy a stand for $15 and save your guitar. If you lean it on anything else it could slide sideways and whooopps! broken guitar. Laying it on the ground is not the best either, you (or some other person) could accidently kick/step on it. Some people even disconnect the cord so it doesn't pull the guitar off the stand when the same "person" who tripped over the guitar, trips over the cable. When not playing for extended periods, store it in your hardshell case. Better safe than sorry.
Moving on.....
i dont think it matters, the only reason why i stopped leaning mine against a wall, is because some dumbass usually comes by and accidentally hits it and it falls. so its a lot longer drop. now i just lay it on the ground in clear site so you can step over it,and if your stupid enough to step on it, then you should replace it.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
what if u were to hang the guitars on the wall with a little screw in thing that holds the neck? would that damage the neck at all cause i do that
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
what if u were to hang the guitars on the wall with a little screw in thing that holds the neck? would that damage the neck at all cause i do that

Music Stores do it all the time so it shouldn't be an issue. I do wich they'd put more space inbetween the guiatrs though as it's sometimes hard to pull one out without bumping an adjacent guitar. (I get that's where scratch & dents models come from)
Moving on.....
I lay mine on my bed unless I'm done practicing then I'll put it on my stand. I've laid my guitars on the floor and the worst thing that happened was a scratch on the body.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your friend's an idiot. What does he think guitars are doing inside cases?

Well said mate lol.
It's a piece of wood (or rather, several connected pieces of wood). Don't worry too much about the way you lay your guitar if it's stable and not damaging any external components.
Tiger style.