I'm looking for a good 8 track recorder for under $500, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll be using it to record an entire band thanks for any help.
I use a Tascam Dp-02cf, but thats more of a personal recorder than a band one because you can only record guitar/bass and one other instrument at the same time.
I have a Zoom MRS-8 it's great quality for the price.

www.myspace.com/kevingelosoacoustic

^^ I recorded the song 'Sunrise' song using it
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
MTRs tend to cost more than an audio interface...You can get a PreSonus FP10 for a lower price ($400 new) which has 8 inputs and firewire connection... (IMO thats the best way to go if you have a nice laptop)
Add the price of software to that though. If you want to have any control over the final mix, you're going to have to spend a fair bit.

But then again, if you want to mix the audio you've recorded on a MTR further - you're going to need software anyway. So yeah, id just get a firewire audio interface.
I'll sell you my fostex mr8 for $150. Email me at dointime024@gmail.com if you're interested. Good condition.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
price about $495.00

High-Speed FireWire Network Audio Interface
• Up to 96K Sampling Rate
• 8 Discrete Microphone Preamps (+60dB gain) w/ Trim Control
• 8 Analog Mic/Line Inputs, 2 Instrument Inputs
• 8 Analog Line Outputs
• S/PDIF Digital Input and Output, MIDI Input and Output
• Balanced Send / Return for Channels 1 and 2
• Zero Latency Monitoring
• Separate Main and Cue Mix Outputs
• Daisy-chain multiple FIREPOD's for additional inputs/outputs
• FREE Cubase LE Audio Production Software Included
it's awesome for drum recording
Quote by Rum Monkey
Add the price of software to that though. If you want to have any control over the final mix, you're going to have to spend a fair bit.

But then again, if you want to mix the audio you've recorded on a MTR further - you're going to need software anyway. So yeah, id just get a firewire audio interface.

Well, the Presonus kit comes with Cubase LE, which is great software IMO. If that's no good for you, Reaper is great for a $40 download, and has lots of high end features.

Software can cost a fortune, but it's not essential to spend that much.
There is poetry in despair.