Page 1 of 2
So... stop hovering your mouse over the thread

I recently saw him at a concert (i also spoke to him for a moment, and got his pick ) and while i already was familiar with his music, it reminded me of how awesome he actually is

so, my question to you guys is, what's his best 'best of' cd ? is the "essential santana" any good ?

thanks
Quote by The red Strat.

OMG, you can see what I'm doing?
But, how?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I've got one of the best of cds, cant remember which but its got a pretty good selection of tracks

otherwise just jump into the beginning
the self titled one (its got a lion on the cover) and Abraxas are both classics
i think Ultimate Santana is his newest best of

It's really good
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
Quote by AzzA2006
i think Ultimate Santana is his newest best of

It's really good

+1, listened the cd almost 10 times in 1 day..
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by Simsimius
OMG, you can see what I'm doing?
But, how?

magic.

i checked the tracklist of Ultimate santana and i can't say i like it. at all... is it really his best ??
yeah get ultimate santana. its pretty good and most of his "best" songs.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Abraxas has classic Carlos on it! Some of his best playing ever.
Moving on.....
Dude screw those essential compilations. The real Santana is the woodstock era band, with Neal Schon. The first three albums are insane and features some of the most amazing guitar playing I have ever heard.

Don't go for the stupid greatest hits. Check out the first three albums and you'll find the good stuff.
People actually still listen to Santana???
Aww thats so cute
My signature has doubled...
Quote by saphrax
Third:Shut up.

Damn you got me with that one
Plz stop making fun of me!
My signature has doubled...
I'd stay away from Ultimate Santa, personally. There's a lot of good stuff on there, but there's also some lame J-Lo and the like. The guys recommending his first couple albums are spot on.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by The red Strat.
magic.

i checked the tracklist of Ultimate santana and i can't say i like it. at all... is it really his best ??

Black magic?

....woman?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Black magic?

....woman?

PETER GREENS IS BETTER!!!!!
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Erm, I have Supernatural and The Very Best of Santana. I prefer Supernatural, I don't really like a lot of their more funky stuff like Carnaval, Jingo lo Ba, etc.
Quote by The red Strat.

Omg how did you know?!

In answer to your question: The Essential Santana is a very good collection of some of the best or most popular songs. I would normally prefer studio albums over "greatest hits" collections, but this one has a good mix of songs IMO.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Dude. If you are a Santana fan there is only one album I will recommend.

I don't even really know what it is called. But it is Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles. Sometime in the mid 70s. I have it on vinyl. The cover is all orange and yellow and it has a picture of Santana with that ridiculously long hair and on the back is Buddy Miles. They do some ****ing amazing work together. They do a version of "Them Changes" that is just fantastic. The very last track is called "Free form Funkafied Filth" and with that I have said all there is to say about it.
Quote by Seryaph
Dude. If you are a Santana fan there is only one album I will recommend.

I don't even really know what it is called. But it is Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles. Sometime in the mid 70s. I have it on vinyl. The cover is all orange and yellow and it has a picture of Santana with that ridiculously long hair and on the back is Buddy Miles. They do some ****ing amazing work together. They do a version of "Them Changes" that is just fantastic. The very last track is called "Free form Funkafied Filth" and with that I have said all there is to say about it.

...I thought Billy Cox wrote Them Changes
Santana's version of She's Not There (original by the zombies) is ****ing awesome. I got all inspired to get a band together and play that in front on my school when I heard it.
Quote by RU Experienced?
...I thought Billy Cox wrote Them Changes

No no. Just listen to "Band of Gypsies"

Jimi says "Now we are going to do a little tune of Buddy's called 'Them Changes'"
Quote by Seryaph
No no. Just listen to "Band of Gypsies"

Jimi says "Now we are going to do a little tune of Buddy's called 'Them Changes'"

Right, right...since when do drummers write songs, huh!?!

It is Billy on vocals though, so I guess that's what caused the confusion.
Since Buddy Miles came around. Everyone knows that he is one bad mother****er.

Are you sure it is Billy singing Them Changes on Band of Gypsies?

I'm pretty sure it was Buddy. He also does all of those ****ing weird vocal solos. Total mouth guitar type ****. All while he is laying the beat down fat and thick.

The day he died was almost as sad as the day James Brown died . . .
I choose Abraxas.

It sucks that i won't be able to go to his concert in texas
Quote by Seryaph
Since Buddy Miles came around. Everyone knows that he is one bad mother****er.

Are you sure it is Billy singing Them Changes on Band of Gypsies?

I'm pretty sure it was Buddy. He also does all of those ****ing weird vocal solos. Total mouth guitar type ****. All while he is laying the beat down fat and thick.

The day he died was almost as sad as the day James Brown died . . .

Oh really?!? Wow, I guess he did the vocals on Who Knows too then (I always laugh my ass off when he's just going "doo doo doo doo do!" and making hilarious noises ). I always thought it was Billy, guess I've been giving the wrong guy credit all this time

I knew I should have bought the DVD
Quote by RU Experienced?
Oh really?!? Wow, I guess he did the vocals on Who Knows too then (I always laugh my ass off when he's just going "doo doo doo doo do!" and making hilarious noises ). I always thought it was Billy, guess I've been giving the wrong guy credit all this time

I knew I should have bought the DVD

Haha, aren't they great? The guy was practically a one man band.
Quote by Seryaph
Haha, aren't they great? The guy was practically a one man band.

After not-so-extensive research it really was Buddy Miles on vocals. That's incredible to me that he can play the drums and harmonize his voice at the same time like that the way he does. Throw in his songwriting skills and he's basically the Bob Dylan of the drums
Quote by The red Strat.

:O!

Mind reader!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by RU Experienced?
After not-so-extensive research it really was Buddy Miles on vocals. That's incredible to me that he can play the drums and harmonize his voice at the same time like that the way he does. Throw in his songwriting skills and he's basically the Bob Dylan of the drums

Not just the harmonizing. I mean that is impressive enough. But to go on a 3 to 4 minutre ****ing solo where all you are using is your mouth to make those (doo da do da da ado bop a da da dadi dadi dadi da WAH WAH daWAH WA WAH WAHdi do da di do) while you are keeping that funky beat down.
Quote by Seryaph
Not just the harmonizing. I mean that is impressive enough. But to go on a 3 to 4 minutre ****ing solo where all you are using is your mouth to make those (doo da do da da ado bop a da da dadi dadi dadi da WAH WAH daWAH WA WAH WAHdi do da di do) while you are keeping that funky beat down.

Well, yeah. I figured that was implied

Damn, now I'm going to have to go buy the Santana CD just to hear Changes again. *is off to wikipedia to look up Buddy Miles*

I wonder how that Band of Gypsys 2 CD is...
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, yeah. I figured that was implied

Damn, now I'm going to have to go buy the Santana CD just to hear Changes again. *is off to wikipedia to look up Buddy Miles*

I wonder how that Band of Gypsys 2 CD is...

Well, that Santana and Miles cd just has Them changes on it. The other songs are Santana works or just all-out jams. The cd ****ing rocks. It is all live and funky and fantastic.

But you could check out the B-sides of the Band of Gypsys album. I think it is called Live at the Fillmore East. It is pretty fantastic and the version of Machine Gun is almost better than the one on the original Band of Gypsys.
Quote by Seryaph
Well, that Santana and Miles cd just has Them changes on it. The other songs are Santana works or just all-out jams. The cd ****ing rocks. It is all live and funky and fantastic.

But you could check out the B-sides of the Band of Gypsys album. I think it is called Live at the Fillmore East. It is pretty fantastic and the version of Machine Gun is almost better than the one on the original Band of Gypsys.

Yeah, I have that, and both versions of Machine Gun on it are pretty interesting. I was referring to the recent CD released (2007?) which was basically Billy Cox, Buddy Miles, and random guitarists filling in for Hendrix covering the original Band of Gypsys CD. I don't know the actual name of the CD though
Quote by RU Experienced?
Yeah, I have that, and both versions of Machine Gun on it are pretty interesting. I was referring to the recent CD released (2007?) which was basically Billy Cox, Buddy Miles, and random guitarists filling in for Hendrix covering the original Band of Gypsys CD. I don't know the actual name of the CD though

Holy Sweet Jumping Jesus Christ!!! Seriously?

Let me know if you discover anything about this, I am seriously interested.
If you want a "best of" album that truly defines the best of santana, get Santana: The Ultimate Collection, its a 2 CD/40 tracks album, I own it, and its the best ****ing "best of" cd there is, ultimate santana doesnt live up to it.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Page 1 of 2