Page 1 of 2
I did a search and couldn't find a thread dedicated to Soul! I couldn't believe it, I'm sure there are folks out t here who dig it as much as I do, so let's go!

My favorite soul stuff came out of Stax records, in fact if you ever see it try to pick up the Stax/Volt revue dvd of the show in Norway with Booker T and the MG's, The Mar-Keys, Arthur Conley, Eddie Floyd and the blowout performances by Sam and Dave and Otis Redding. One of the best music DVD's in my collection.

Aretha Franklin says you better think about posting in this thread!
Curtis Mayfield is my favorite musical artist of all time. It would be Bob Marley, but considering he was a big influence to Marley, he is on top.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
I love Curtis Mayfield, and also love Stevie Wonder. Both are incredible.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Curtis Mayfield is a beast in both soul and funk. Superfly may be the best movie soundtrack ever.
Quote by noah22791
Good ol Stevie Love "living for the city", such a great keyboard sound "a boy is born in hard time misissipi, surronded by four walls that aint so pretty" love that song, on pursuit of happyness too which a great film pick it up

and is it me or is california soul by marlena shaw the coolest mack daddy song ever? should probably include funk in this thread, the lines are pretty blurred between r&b and funk
Well, Mutlu is classified as soul/acoustic/pop, but he is my favorite right now. A little similar to G. Love (who's featured on his new album by the way), Shuggie Otis, and Jamiroquoi. I love that style, so I'm getting Mutlu's album which comes out 7/22. He's a Philly artist, and Daryl Hall is a huge fan of his. (Saw Mutlu featured on Daryl's show, "Live at Daryl's House")

If you're interested, I do know that you can download a free track of Mutlu's on his myspace. Hope you like him as much as I do!

And yes, re: the previous posts, Aretha is the woman, and Stevie is the man.
Otis Redding is my favorite. I have a four disc set of him that is just awesome. That man could sing.

Also, Wilson Pickett, and Marvin Gaye are great. If you haven't heard Wilson Pickett's version of Hey Jude with Duane Allman on guitar, you should give it a listen.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I'm getting Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix's sets at Monterey on DVD for my birthday at the end of July. I've seen Jimi's set but Otis's I've heard a lot about and its making me very excited to see it.
Quote by Jimmy94
That's great stuff! Is Northern Soul a record label or a genre or something?

Just soul that was popular in the North of England during a certain era, its not a "real" genre as such, but its normally got a bit of a stomp to it.
There have been threads, but this won't hurt. I love soul. I too am a fan of Stax, especially over Motown.
Mr. Redding has to be my favorite. Every song on Dock of the Bay is ****ing great. The guy has so much soul it is just unfair.
^ Indeed he did. It's a shame that he died so young like so many great musicians. Although his death is a bit more tragic, because it wasn't self induced, like a drug overdose or what not.
Quote by noah22791

+1, Curtis/Live! is an amazing album, one I advise every UGer to pick up as soon as possible. Curtis, Roots, Superfly, and There's No Place Like America Today are all excellent too and worth checking out.

Stevie is just amazing. I went through a 3 or 4 month phase where I listened exclusively to him, and he's a top-notch musician. His '71-'75 albums are absolutely brilliant, it's hard to believe he played most of the instruments himself on those records.

Also, I'm curious to see if anyone else has heard of Shuggie Otis. He was a teenage prodigy in the early 70's who recorded a few albums before getting dropped by his label and seemingly disappearing. But he was a great guitar player who could play a bunch of other instruments as well. I believe Freedom Flight and Inspiration Information are the two most overlooked albums of the 70's.
Jackson 5 is great too. One of my favorites.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I just picked up a lot of Motown stuff, I don't know why I was lacking it. Amazing stuff. I highly recommend the movie Standing in the Shadows of Motowon , about the funk brothers who were the musicians who played on pretty much every motown hit. Really interesting stuff.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
I know a lot of people that don't like Motown for the whole hitsville vs. soulsville thing, but I love Motown. Dancin' in the Streets is such a fun song
Otis Redding is the man!

Recently I've been getting into soul and Otis, Curtis Mayfield, Nina Simone, James Brown are all great. I'm kind of on the fence about Marvin Gaye (too smooth) but a lot of his songs are enjoyable. I also listened to The Supremes, but calling them soul is a stretch. They seem like straight-up bubble gum pop, which frankly, is pretty crap.

Does anyone know if The Temptations are any good? I want to try them next.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I love Marvin Gaye. He is smooth, but thats why he's great, its a great contrast with guys like Otis Redding.

I haven't hear all that much of the Temptations, but I've liked what I've heard.
I know you wanna leave me!
But I refuse to let you go!

Great song.
^Don't forget Papa Was A Rolling Stone. Easily their best song in my opinion. 12 minutes of pure awesomeness.

Outside of Cloud Nine, their psychedellic/funk period gets way overlooked by the general public and I think it's a shame. They made some great music during that period.
Marvin Gaye is awesome, his album What's Going On is not just a classic soul album but a classic album period.
Estelle, for those who don't know her, that cockney singer who sings American Boy with Kanye, gotta ave heard that
"It's hilarious. I'm not mad at them - but I'm just wondering, how the hell is there not a single black person in the public eye singing soul? Adele isn't soul. She sounds like she heard some Aretha Franklin records once and she's got a deeper voice - that doesn't mean she's soul.

"That doesn't mean anything to me in the grand scheme of my life as a black person. As a songwriter, I get what they do. As a black person, I'm like, 'You're telling me this is my music?' F**k that! People keep trying to tell me what soul music is and I'm like, we know what soul music is, stop f***ing around with us!"

"I guess it is music that you feel in your heart and your experience. You can't explain it, it just gets you. It's in the lyrics, the melody, the beat - you can't pull it apart."
Now that **** just makes me mad.....Don't like Adele but didnt she attack that Duffy girl too? Warwick Ave. is a great song Why soul is a exclusively black thing to her i do not know. racist if you ask me.
So I saw John Mayer this week. Colbie Caillat opened for him, and I was expecting some generic pop stuff. I spent almost half her set waiting in the beer line, but as I'm walking back to my seat, she started I Want You Back by the Jackson 5.

It was very unexpected and pretty cool.
Quote by i<3mtv

Now that **** just makes me mad.....Don't like Adele but didnt she attack that Duffy girl too? Warwick Ave. is a great song Why soul is a exclusively black thing to her i do not know. racist if you ask me.

Duffy is one of the better pop singers out there, pop goes northern soul. Love the Northern Soul dancing in one of her videos too.
Shes alright. I've heard a few songs and can't decide if I really like her voice or not.
"Who is the man who would risk his neck for a brother man? Shaft!!"

Issac Hayes put out some really great music.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
The Ohio Players and Dusty Springfield FTMFW!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Etta James
Gladys Knight
Aretha Franklin
Luther Vandross
Wilson Pickett
Percy Sledge
Temptations
David Ruffin
Donny Hathaway
Billy Paul
Curtis Mayfield

For the later years:

K-Ci & Jojo
Boyz II Men

And my personal favorites:

Otis Redding
Marvin Gaye
Al Green

EDIT:

Also, my favorite soul singer out there today is Anthony Hamilton. I absolutely love his style.
Last edited by AngusIsMyHero at Sep 20, 2008,
Wow, I have no idea why I didn't think about Stevie. But yeah, he definitely deserves to be on that list.
I grew up with this stuff.

Teddy Pendergrass for the win.
Page 1 of 2