I've been told i should get one, but which of these from guitar center? I'm a guitarist if that helps...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=the+real+book&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I'd say just get the 1st volume. I'm not familiar with the 2nd and 3rd, but the 1st has a good assortment of standards. But no matter which one you do get, get it in C, because guitar is a C instrument.
If you can find it, get the fifth edition. it's not published anymore, mainly because it was illegal, but there's still copies going around.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
If you can find it, get the fifth edition. it's not published anymore, mainly because it was illegal, but there's still copies going around.

The improvements of the 6th edition outnumber the illegal versions, imo.

However, in the unlikely case the TS is a performer in a jazz scene where they're all playing out of fakebooks and using the "old", uncorrected chord progressions, yes.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
The improvements of the 6th edition outnumber the illegal versions, imo.

However, in the unlikely case the TS is a performer in a jazz scene where they're all playing out of fakebooks and using the "old", uncorrected chord progressions, yes.

I disagree. If you're going to go out to play tunes, why would you want to learn versions that no one uses? Take for example Blue Bossa, a super simple tune that lots of people play. Whether or not if there's that B chord in the fourth measure makes a big difference, and most people don't because they didn't learn the tune out of the 6th edition.

Also, 5th edition has more widely played tunes, while 6th edition takes a lot away and gives you contemporary tunes, that although are nice sounding, arent played as often. If you frequent jazz jams, and have heard the song Unity Village or Sirabhorn (either by Pat Metheny) even five times? even three times? The answer is no. I absolutely LOVE Pat Metheny's music and i know how to play those tunes, but I've never played those tunes at a jam at all, because no one knows how to play them.

Saying this, understand that old cats are used to their tunes, and contemporary guitar jazz only really caters to a specific group of well-learned musicians, mostly guitarists. You're not going to get gigs that way because, unless you're drop dead AMAZING, catering to other musicians is the quickest way to go bankrupt, because musicians dont have money.

All this being said, just get any real book you can get ahold of and just "shut up 'n play yer guitar" as the song title suggests. If you're needing to find a specific tune you cant get in your book, go and get another book. It's not bad at all to have multiple fakebooks.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by V-type
^ Why was it illegal??

Realbooks were originally made by berklee students in the 70s in order to give a comprehensive and unifying repertoire for jazz players everywhere. The thing that made it illegal was that they never got permission for the pieces they transcribed. Chord charts themselves arent illegal, but once you add more information about the pieces, such as melody lines and tags and stuff, you're pretty much giving people the chance to learn the tune on a silver platter, without paying dues to the people who wrote/published it.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
I disagree. If you're going to go out to play tunes, why would you want to learn versions that no one uses? Take for example Blue Bossa, a super simple tune that lots of people play. Whether or not if there's that B chord in the fourth measure makes a big difference, and most people don't because they didn't learn the tune out of the 6th edition.

Also, 5th edition has more widely played tunes, while 6th edition takes a lot away and gives you contemporary tunes, that although are nice sounding, arent played as often. If you frequent jazz jams, and have heard the song Unity Village or Sirabhorn (either by Pat Metheny) even five times? even three times? The answer is no. I absolutely LOVE Pat Metheny's music and i know how to play those tunes, but I've never played those tunes at a jam at all, because no one knows how to play them.

Saying this, understand that old cats are used to their tunes, and contemporary guitar jazz only really caters to a specific group of well-learned musicians, mostly guitarists. You're not going to get gigs that way because, unless you're drop dead AMAZING, catering to other musicians is the quickest way to go bankrupt, because musicians dont have money.

All this being said, just get any real book you can get ahold of and just "shut up 'n play yer guitar" as the song title suggests. If you're needing to find a specific tune you cant get in your book, go and get another book. It's not bad at all to have multiple fakebooks.

These are all serious concerns, but seriously the 6th edition is so much easier to find than the 5th edition that these issues won't matter for much longer.
Quote by Jimmy94
These are all serious concerns, but seriously the 6th edition is so much easier to find than the 5th edition that these issues won't matter for much longer.

take a burned cd to kinkos and have it printed and bound.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn

I acknowledge all (well, most) of your points, I just question the validity of them in this day and age.

I've got a fair bit of jazz gig experience myself, so do friends of mine who're performing jazz musicians all over the world, and I along with them can say none of it really applies all that much.

Let's be honest... You're not going to get gigs (decent gigs, I guess) anyway if you don't know the major tunes everyone's playing (usually including multiple versions), so the statement about not getting gigs because of it is pretty moot, if you ask me.

Quote by thepagesaretorn

Indeed.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by thepagesaretorn
take a burned cd to kinkos and have it printed and bound.

How does that help the thread starter?
Quote by thepagesaretorn
Realbooks were originally made by berklee students in the 70s in order to give a comprehensive and unifying repertoire for jazz players everywhere. The thing that made it illegal was that they never got permission for the pieces they transcribed. Chord charts themselves arent illegal, but once you add more information about the pieces, such as melody lines and tags and stuff, you're pretty much giving people the chance to learn the tune on a silver platter, without paying dues to the people who wrote/published it.

Isn't that like tabs?
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
No, they are not tabs. They are chord charts with the melodies in musical notation.

Pagesaretorn, I play jazz fairly often, I've talked with hundreds of jazz players and the overwhelming majority of them have edition 6 of the real book. I've run in to maybe 4 or 5 that swear by the 5th edition and refuse to use anything else. You're in the minority here.
Quote by Jimmy94
No, they are not tabs. They are chord charts with the melodies in musical notation.

Pagesaretorn, I play jazz fairly often, I've talked with hundreds of jazz players and the overwhelming majority of them have edition 6 of the real book. I've run in to maybe 4 or 5 that swear by the 5th edition and refuse to use anything else. You're in the minority here.

hundreds? are these even credible? I have several friends that i know through my professors in college (I go to Fullerton College at the moment, but I'm transferring to CSUF), most with either doctorates or masters degrees, some that even have grammy awards or nominations (you can look my teachers up: Dr. Joe Jewell, Bruce Babad, Markus Burger...all are my teachers)

in fact, i found this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Burger

My main professor, Dr. Jewell, holds a DMA (Doctorate of Musical Arts) from USC, and holds several sponsors from companies such as Benedetto, Fuchs, Greg Brandt guitars, used to have Tom Anderson and Boogie, etc. here's his website: http://joejewellguitar.com/

and they all prefer the 5th edition's versions, although obviously-- like what i said before-- they dont care as long as you can play.

so Jimmy94, does this make me the minority? If so, I'm happy to be where I'm at in comparison to your "majority."
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
you guys don't have to be so insincere about it. both are good books, I myself have the 6th edition first and second volumes.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by noah22791
you guys don't have to be so insincere about it. both are good books, I myself have the 6th edition first and second volumes.

haha yeah. sorry bout all that.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Well there you go, the guys I jam with in bars around town use the 6th edition, the professors at Fullerton use the 5th edition. Case closed.
Well...on a different note it's probably a good idea to get the 1st vol. 6th or 5th or whatever, but do not allow yourself to use it as a crutch for too long. As soon as it becomes possible I suggest beginning to transcribe(Learn by ear) all the tunes you like and write down your own charts with the changes you hear and use the Real Book as a reference, you'll usually be able to hear where the real book can be really off.

Especially with a tune like 'Round Midnight where there's a chance you could be playing Monk's Changes, Miles Changes, Monks Changes w/ Miles Bridge and vice versa.

On the topic of which book has the best tunes, for me it has to be the 2nd vol. As much as I like the 1st volume I tend to prefer to play the tunes that are in the 2nd vol. more.

The 3rd Vol. is also cool but with a few more obscurer tunes The Best Thing for You, Careful, Milestones, Funkallero, etc.

So yeah...that's my opinion I think...
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
The fifth edition has corrections on the fourth or fifth page. Maybe not all the corections, as there are still some blatant errors, like flats/sharps instead of naturals in some place.
Also, alot of the chord errors are like the same chord just with the wrong name. Like some songs might have a Bm7b5/G instead of its rightfull name G9.

The real advantage over the old real books that the sixth edition has is that its readable. I spent at least 20 minutes trying to work out which line the note was on.

And theres alot of songs missing in the sixth edition, because Hal Leonard only bought the rights to the majority of the songs, not all.

Your choice, I have the fifth edition because I'm cheap. But if you have 30$, why not get the readable book?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.