I have tried over mounths to learn slap bass, i've watched countless teaching videos on the internet and i am having real trouble with it because everyone i know plays guitar purely and i'm the only one that plays bass.

i get you use part of your thumb and what part, i think? but i'm not getting it, not the sound nor the speed.
can anyone help?
make sure you're not leaving your thumb on the string, thus muting it. you have to bounce it. or go through, like victor wooten...also you should be hitting with the side of the thumb, about where the knuckle is
you basically just hit the lower strings with your thumb (the slap) and pluck the higher strucks forcefully with your 1st or second finger (the pop). Which finger you use is up to you. by the way, don't expect to make a good sound first time you try this, it takes time and practice to sound any good with slap so be patient.
for the sound you need to make sure thumb bounces off the string so you dont mute the souund. Speed will just come with time and practice. Altho just to be sure your not attempting to slap all 4 strings are you?? Just making sure. If you are then slap only the E and A string and pop the D and G string. That might help!
I don't mean to steal this thread but ... I'm not really a slap player but I'm wondering if it's frowned upon to pluck the strings really hard to get the slap sound?
I like to get a deep bassy tone for slap, a lot of people add compression too.

and plucking the strings seems like it would slow you down, especially with thumping involved.

don't learn slap like your learning to play bass, treat it like percussion. you have a bass drum (thump) and a snare (pop) at your disposal. play a beat, not a groove. use one note, focus just on the drumming. when you got that down, you can apply it to making a slap riff.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
if it doesnt sound "slappy" enough, slap closer to the neck joint area as opposed to the bridge, and i find that more treble provides a better slap sound
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I personally am looking for slap help too.
I saw a technique on YouTube, where he put his thumb under the string and pulled
out, which is what I do for now.

However, when I try to do traditional slap on the "A" string, I always seem to hit either the
"D" string or the "E" string, any tips on how to avoid this?
Is it just through practice that I'll avoid hitting them, or a certaing technique??
Just start off slowly allowing yourself to aim for the string....... also when you hit the string try and keep your thumb sort of horizontal, like paralell with the string..... if you can understand what i mean. But ya, slow practice will build up your aim. Then practice doing it slowly without looking..... and then gradually speed up
speed comes by practicing.
The thumb part is really the only part.
Based on personal experience and countless amounts of others asking on UG,
my guess is the part you're not doing correctly is... ofcourse.. the thumb part.

honestly, just whack the string.
The part about it you're not doing correctly is that you have to bounce your thumb off the string so that it rings out.
Also, be sure to try it on an amp with the highs cranked up, otherwise an untrained ear may not hear the difference.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Zephyr-Chills
For a nice exercise play the underground theme from Mario.

YES and then practice your finger-style with the Overworld Theme from Mario 2.
when I started slap bass, my thumb was more diagonal to the strings and I got frustrated because I couldnt get the A string without hitting the E, so I raised the bass and put my thumb parallel to the strings and I practiced aiming and that helped a ton.
If I ever win the lottery, I will make a restaurant and call it "Thank you for calling, how may I help you" so when someone calls, I can say "Thank you for calling thank you for calling how may I help you how may I help you"
- Daniel Tosh
Quote by the humanity
I like to get a deep bassy tone for slap, a lot of people add compression too.

and plucking the strings seems like it would slow you down, especially with thumping involved.

don't learn slap like your learning to play bass, treat it like percussion. you have a bass drum (thump) and a snare (pop) at your disposal. play a beat, not a groove. use one note, focus just on the drumming. when you got that down, you can apply it to making a slap riff.

I really struggled with a decent slap tone for a long while. Then one day my spouse, who is a drummer picked up my bass and got the most amazing slap tone out of it. I watched him in stunned silence for about 5 minutes and then realized that as Humanity has stated above, you need to approach it rhythmically like a drummer than tonally. While my slap is nothing to write home about, it is much better after taking this approach.

This is also why I think as a bass player, learning drums is a very, very good idea.
also where are you thumping the e strings? i find thumping it on the 24th fret (highest if you can) you get more bounce of the string thus giving you a better tone)
Quote by jb_reborn
also where are you thumping the e strings? i find thumping it on the 24th fret (highest if you can) you get more bounce of the string thus giving you a better tone)

+1
all the cool kids do it like that.

are you cool?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by jb_reborn
yes i am, i live in a fridge........

me too!

is yours a Fridgaire?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

.....erm lemme check......
OMFG IT IS!!!! would you like to be my fridge brother, like blood brother but witih fridge.........if not lets just be fridge buddies then...........
Last edited by jb_reborn at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by jb_reborn
.....erm lemme check......
OMFG IT IS!!!! would you like to be my fridge brother, like blood brother but witih fridge.........if not lets just be fridge buddies then...........

yay!

fridge buddies!

let us slap out Slow Ride in our Fridgaire abodes!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Lol :d

EDIT: PS: since its already a slap bass thread, how difficult would you say the bass line to tell me baby by rhcp is?
Quote by jb_reborn
Lol :d

EDIT: PS: since its already a slap bass thread, how difficult would you say the bass line to tell me baby by rhcp is?

Well, it's certainly one of Flea's more inventive slap lines.

Intermediate probablyish.

It's not incredibly fast, but getting the timing on the mutes might be tricky.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.