I have a hamer sfx2, the bridge is a les paul style bridge and I've setup the itonation on the top 5 strings and got them perfect but when i came to the small e string it plays a d# at the 12th fret and i've got no more adjustment left on the saddles.

The truss rod is set up and theres a new set of strings on it im kinda stuck on what to try to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.
This is a problem with the TOM saddles, they just aren't wide enough to get the guitar fully intonated sometimes. I would crank the intonation to as close as it can get, unless you want to bother moving your saddle. which would kinda suck.

See, way back when that style bridge just sat on the top of the guitar and was held there by the strings, so if you ran out of intonation room, you could just move the entire saddle unit up or down the guitar body, but since TOM's are screwed in, you can't do this, and often you run out of room for intonation.

EDIT: Hey! my name's Sean too!
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
This is a common problem with TOM bridges. You need to remove the bridge and then take out the saddle and reverse it!
Attachments:
Drawing1.bmp
Moving on.....
Thanks for the replys strat212 and KenG.
Unfortunetly the saddles are allready reversed so its kinda crap.
Looks like i might have to fill and redrill the mounting holes for the bridge, dont really want to have to do that but doesnt look like theres going to be any quick fix.
how did you learn to intonate your guitar? I'm curious because i wanna learn to do it myself as well.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Before you do drill new holes, there may ba another solution......STEW MAC sells replacements for ABR-1 bridges (sample links below) the Schaller version is wider than the ABR-1 and would allow for more adjustment to string position. Have a look first as spending $40. is reversable vs drilling holes in your axe.

<http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/1/ABR-1_Tune-o-matic_Bridges_and_Parts/Specs.html#details>

<http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/1/Schaller_Roller_Bridge/Specs.html#details>
Moving on.....
Quote by BD 425
how did you learn to intonate your guitar? I'm curious because i wanna learn to do it myself as well.

You need a good tuner and some basic tools for your bridge. Intonation is done after all other setup activites are finshed (neck relief, string height) and should be done on a new set of strings for accuracey.

Basically the most recognized method is to get your guitar to play an exact octave at the 12th fret compared to open string. If the fretted note is sharp the string is too short so your move the saddle back, if it's flat the string is too long so you move the saddle forward. Try not touch the guiatr tuners or neck while plucking the note and hold the guitar in playing position for maximum accuracey.
Some people, even supposed professionals, advocate using the 12th fret harmonic instead of the fretted note but this only divides a perfectly straight string in half and doesn't allow for the string length change that occurs when you depress the strings while fretting notes. To illustrate this just draw a straight line between two points (see below) As you can see Length A is slightly shorter than length B. It's a small difference but that's enough to affect intonation. By using the fretted note you compensate for this length chnage and your intonation becomes more accurate.
Attachments:
Drawing1.jpg
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by KenG
Before you do drill new holes, there may ba another solution......STEW MAC sells replacements for ABR-1 bridges (sample links below) the Schaller version is wider than the ABR-1 and would allow for more adjustment to string position. Have a look first as spending $40. is reversable vs drilling holes in your axe...
Very good to know
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by KenG

Some people, even supposed professionals, advocate using the 12th fret harmonic instead of the fretted note but this only divides a perfectly straight string in half and doesn't allow for the string length change that occurs when you depress the strings while fretting notes. To illustrate this just draw a straight line between two points (see below) As you can see Length A is slightly shorter than length B. It's a small difference but that's enough to affect intonation. By using the fretted note you compensate for this length chnage and your intonation becomes more accurate.

You clearly know what you're talking about, but I think you may have got that wrong. I think what people advocate is using the 12th fret harmonic and comparing it to the 12th fret fretted note rather than using the open string and the 12th fret harmonic, because they are generally identical. The reason for doing it this way is because the 12th fret harmonic and the fretted 12th fret are (obviously) the same pitch and some find it easier to hear the tonal differences this way.

Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I'd didn't make this up myself, I'm going by Dan Erlewine's books which I crossed referenced to some well known Luthier's advice as well. I used to use the harmonic method until reading about this "compensated method" which is reputed to be more ccurate for thereason I mentioned. I guess the debate continues but give it a try sometime.
Moving on.....
I forgot to mention that you could buy another saddle piece that is wider, people have already given names, and honestly, if I were you that's probably what i'd do, seeing as how it requires no drilling (if you buy the right piece). Just go with something that you know is wider than the one you have.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!