Pick a key and just screw around with notes in it thats what I do and eventually change it around I can make some cool ****.
There's no way to force a riff out pf a guitar, often times a riff can just come out of messing around, as GuitarAustin said, so the next time your just messing around pay attention, because you might come up with a great riff.
That's a pretty subjective question you've got there. Are you asking how to noodle in scales/chord progressions? Are you asking how to get inspired? How to transcribe?

It's a little different for everyone. Songwriting has to come from within. As said above, it essentially comes down to noodling around until you find somthing that suits your ear, then elaborating on it, but basicly you're the one who has to answer that question. Where do YOUR good riffs come from?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
It takes practice. You need to just mess around until you find something, eventually you will start to be able to make a riff like nothing.
I like to pick a note or chord and then start expanding. If I look where it goes I stick with it, if I don't I start over again.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
If you want rock riffs, just mess with power chords. Getting "good" at coming up with them just takes practice, so go make a bunch of crappy riffs until that golden one randomly appears. Listen to some songs and pay attention to the progressions. Should help with ideas of what you like to hear. Again, the magic word is practice. Just don't get discouraged.
GAS list-o-rama
Orange Tiny Terror Head ($549)
Epiphone VJ Cab ($129)
Seymour Duncan SHPG1/SH-11 set ($95 + $79)
Gaskell Classic (~$680)
Black Gibson SG Standard ($1499)
Quote by GuitarAustin95
Pick a key and just screw around with notes in it thats what I do and eventually change it around I can make some cool ****.

+1

for me..i just play until it happens..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
+1

for me..i just play until it happens..

yeah same here...its hard for me to come up with something i like a lot. I think I'm too critical.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
yeah same here...its hard for me to come up with something i like a lot. I think I'm too critical.

You are your own worst critic.

We all are, I can never settle with anything either.