I keep hearing about how great the Roland Jazz Chorus amps are, and was thinking about picking up a used JC120 or similar model to try with multi effects. I don't know the architecture/wiring of these amps, but have heard the newer Jazz Chorus amps have effects loops. If the newer JC120s have effects loops they must have a standard preamp and power amp arrangement like other guitar amps.

But I've always heard the Jazz Chorus amps are supposed to not color the tone much if any. So what would be the point of having a loop to place effects between the preamp and power amp ... is it to prevent the effects signal from being boosted by the preamp or something?
I never heard of a SS having an effects loop :O
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Quote by Phax

What?
Pick any SS amp on earth...it has an FX Loop; even the MG has one
Quote by Phax

Might be because most SS amps you see are pretty low level equipment - they sound ****ty and might not have stuff like effects loops. That's part of the reason people think all SS amps sound ****ty.

About the Jazz Chorus: It's mainly just a normal amp. Of course it colors your tone somewhat. That's why there's an effects loop.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
the older ones don't and they sound BETTER with Pedals even without a loop!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The whole point of a loop is to be able to put certain effects(usually modulation and delays) after the preamp, where most of the eqing takes place..

it is so that the effect is preserved(moreso anyways) than if it had to run through the preamps eq and coloring paramaters
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I think in the case of the JC the most useful thing about it would being able to run a external preamp into the power amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I guess I was under the impression that a JC was like a keyboard amp or something, and didn't color the tone much if any. Apparently it does have a little of it's own tone in the preamp.
Quote by hunter33
I guess I was under the impression that a JC was like a keyboard amp or something, and didn't color the tone much if any. Apparently it does have a little of it's own tone in the preamp.

trust me, you dont want to hear what a guitar sounds like through something like a keyboard amp. you need some coloration.
plug your guitar straight into your computer without any modelling software, thats kind of what im talking about. really muddy with no real depth.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Yep, tried hooking guitars straight to computers and PAs before. That's why I was thinking about getting a JC, to use with multi effects. I had heard they were basically a big keyboard amp that didn't color the tone at all, and readily took modeled amps in multi effects units. Right now I can't use any amp modeling in my RP350 because it doesn't sound right stacked on top of my amp's preamp.
Quote by hunter33
Yep, tried hooking guitars straight to computers and PAs before. That's why I was thinking about getting a JC, to use with multi effects. I had heard they were basically a big keyboard amp that didn't color the tone at all, and readily took modeled amps in multi effects units. Right now I can't use any amp modeling in my RP350 because it doesn't sound right stacked on top of my amp's preamp.

The JC-120 has an FX loop to make your effects sound better, just like any amp with a loop. The concept is simple, the pre-amp raises the guitar signal up to be amplified to by the power amp effectively. Many modulation effects get muddied up when they go thru both the pre- and power amps. So by boosting the guitar signal first then adding the effects (which is what the loop does), they sound closer to the way God intended.

It has nothing to do with any "color" the amp may provide, and that's why your multi-FX sounds a little ass-like in front of your amp. And any quality, powerful, clean amp with an FX loop could probably do a better job for you if you're interested in going with tubes. Something like the Traynor YCV 80 comes to mind.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
As a general rule, time based effects(delay,reverb) in the effects loop, modulations and od's in front of the amp.

It can vary a bit by pedal, and of course personal preference.

I thought my Chopper, phaser, and chorus sounded great through the effects loop, til I put them out front.
Quote by MAYNARD
As a general rule, time based effects(delay,reverb) in the effects loop, modulations and od's in front of the amp.

It can vary a bit by pedal, and of course personal preference.

I thought my Chopper, phaser, and chorus sounded great through the effects loop, til I put them out front.

I don't mind modulation in front of my amp if its on a clean setting
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer