i've been wondering about this for a little while, and couldnt find a whole lot searching around

so, my question, what are the disadvantages of a thin neck guitar? (i'm talking ibanez wizard II sorta thinness, but thinness in generall too)

alot of people go on about the advantages, but never seem to look at the other side
When a neck is too fast you tend to fatigue your hand quicker.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
only thing i can think of is in the 80's when ibanez were doing the super thin wizard necks, there were some issues with strength, for example they'd bow because they were so thin. nowadays they're all reinforced with 3-5 pieces of wood and titanium rods
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
If it doesn't fill up your hand, you'll get wicked cramps between your thumb and index finger.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Uhh, yeah....

Some people think they feel funny.... Plus, if going from something thicker to a thin neck it can be a wee bit of pain at first (I had this problem.... Felt as if the thumb was bending backwards... But it goes away)
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

I have a Hagstrom Ultralux which has a ridiculously thin neck. Most of the time it's cool, and it's extra nice for stuff like when I fret or mute the 6th string with my thumb. But it will fatigue your hand if you play lots of barre chords for a while because your thumb has to "clamp" farther and use more pressure than on a more standard neck profile.
i would go out and try it first. i thought thin neck were all cool, and i was gonna buy a ibanez s520 (i think, all i remeber was its black with a really thin neck) but then i tried playing it and it was too thin. i guess it depends on your play style, but i really do the hendrix type thing with my thumb over the top. so thats the only disadvantage i would say it might have, it could be uncomfortable.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
so am i right in saying it's only really barre chords and possibly power chords that may cause discomfort when using a thinner neck?
Quote by adr11iano

alot of people go on about the advantages, but never seem to look at the other side

There aren't any advantages or disadvantages other than: if you find it comfortable
to play it's an advantage, uncomfortable disadvantage. Anything beyond that is
pure myth.
Quote by adr11iano
...what are the disadvantages of a thin neck guitar?
Off the top of my head...

Strength for one. My RG's neck bent like a pretzel when I put 11's on it. Took a lot of love to get that guitar right.

Tone is probably less impacted by a thin neck. If you were using a maple neck to offset Mahogany's inherent low-mid range, the effects will be much less using a thinner neck.

Fatigue as many mention is another big issue. Depending on your personal preference, even though a thin neck may be marketed and hyped up as uber-fast, doesn't mean its actually going to work for you.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
My hand cramps up when I play the beefy neck on my SG Classic (43mm @ the nut). This NEVER happens with my 41mm, short-scale Jagmaster.

But then again I have small hands.

As someone said on another thread: "Small hands FTW!!!"
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by Armchair Bronco
My hand cramps up when I play the beefy neck on my SG Classic (43mm @ the nut).

My Ibanez is 17mm
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by jm1681
Off the top of my head...

Strength for one. My RG's neck bent like a pretzel when I put 11's on it. Took a lot of love to get that guitar right.

Tone is probably less impacted by a thin neck. If you were using a maple neck to offset Mahogany's inherent low-mid range, the effects will be much less using a thinner neck.

Fatigue as many mention is another big issue. Depending on your personal preference, even though a thin neck may be marketed and hyped up as uber-fast, doesn't mean its actually going to work for you.

That.
Thick neck = Sustain!

The only advantage of thin necks really is comfort for fast doodling, but a well shaped, satin finished neck will be just as comfortable for that as those ultra-slim ones. Another issue is that thin shred-necks tend to be very wide (compare an RG to an LP), which I find very uncomfortable.
Quote by J.MitMetallica
My Ibanez is 17mm

He means width. Your Ibanez is 43mm at the nut as well.

Edit: I also reckon Radius necks were 20mm thick at the nut (if not 21). The R didn't have Wizards...
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by edg
There aren't any advantages or disadvantages other than: if you find it comfortable
to play it's an advantage, uncomfortable disadvantage. Anything beyond that is
pure myth.

+1. I happen to prefer think necks, but there was a time when I prefered thin ones. After you get used to one or the other, it's painful to switch but that's due to muscles in your hand having to readjust.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
only thing i can think of is in the 80's when ibanez were doing the super thin wizard necks, there were some issues with strength, for example they'd bow because they were so thin. nowadays they're all reinforced with 3-5 pieces of wood and titanium rods

This.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
If it doesn't fill up your hand, you'll get wicked cramps between your thumb and index finger.

And this.
Quote by pifty
He means width. Your Ibanez is 43mm at the nut as well.

Edit: I also reckon Radius necks were 20mm thick at the nut (if not 21). The R didn't have Wizards...

My one has an original wizard IIRC, but you might be right, I'm pretty sure it's either 17 or 19mm.
And lol about the 43mm thing, I thought it couldn't be right (hence the s)

EDIT: 17mm, just measured it
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Hand cramps, but totally worth it!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by J.MitMetallica
My one has an original wizard IIRC, but you might be right, I'm pretty sure it's either 17 or 19mm.
And lol about the 43mm thing, I thought it couldn't be right (hence the s)

EDIT: 17mm, just measured it

What's your serial?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!