Page 1 of 2
So I've got short hair right now, and I've wanted to grow it out for a while, mainly because I'm a metalhead and I want to headbang without looking like an idiot. But every time I grow my hair, it gets to a point where it just looks like crap and then I cut it. It happens right after the hair is long enough to be slightly covering my ears. is this normal??

Anybody have any tips for this sort of thing?
Yeah
Wait it out.

And that's as long as you can take it? you've got a long way to go
Ugh... that dreaded awkward stage. Not only that, but I went through it during school picture time. It'll be fine later; it's worth it. Now I have teh epic hairz?!?!!?
Its definitely worth pushing through that awkward phase. Just be prepared to have "Hippie!" yelled at you from passing cars as you walk down the street.
"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." - Robert A. Heinlein
wait.. if you're a metalhead, why do you care what people think about you?
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
I've kinda settled into a comfort zone right before the awkward stage, where it's still "long" (well, for a guy), but not like rock star long. When I start getting into the awkward phase I cut it.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

ugh, im in the middle-end of that awkward stage..

its like covered my ears but its still not long long
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Santeria420
Its definitely worth pushing through that awkward phase. Just be prepared to have "Hippie!" yelled at you from passing cars as you walk down the street.

And "gay," "girl," and "American!" Although that last one maybe because of I'm in England at the moment and they aren't used to people who talk like me

But people will get over it at some point and won't annoy you about it. The first month or so is the worst if you're moving or meeting new people. If they know you and saw you grow your hair out, it'll be fine (hopefully).
im the awkward stage too, but i got this beatle thing going on so i really don't care. I may have to cut it because my boss will bitch me out. but i like it now.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
i had my hair long then cut it,
now im at the awkward stage again

its definitely worth getting throught tho
yeah that stage sucked, there's almost nothing you can do with it, too short to let it be free and flowing, yet too long to style and use wax and the likes (unless you want some crayzeeee stylinz) but man-up and grow through it.
Also, use conditioner regularly if you don't already, soft hair ftw
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
everyone hates the awkward stage. but once you get through it you look badass! you could try using a beanie or a hat to make the awkward stage less... well, awkward.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
wait it out dude - i decided to cut my hair after i grew it for quite a while. Mainly becuase it was ****ing everywhere and more out of control than a very out of control thing high on crack.
I had that same problem. Then I photoshopped myself with long hair and decided it was probably not worth it.
Quote by Nathan_393
So I've got short hair right now, and I've wanted to grow it out for a while, mainly because I'm a metalhead and I want to headbang without looking like an idiot. But every time I grow my hair, it gets to a point where it just looks like crap and then I cut it. It happens right after the hair is long enough to be slightly covering my ears. is this normal??

Anybody have any tips for this sort of thing?

lol

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Santeria420

for me, all the time. only it's not cars passing by, it's people at school and some of my friends. i think it's funny though (and no one's being insulting), because not only do i listen to hippy music, but i also listen to metal, as well as stuff from all kinds of genres.

i've been growing out my hair since january 2007 (with the bangs cut short on my forehead). right now i'm thinking about growing out the bangs to have it all one length.

just deal with it. it's worth the wait.
I don't remember this awkward stage at all?!?!? When did it have an awkward stage? Maybe I just don't remember it.
hahah its the worse stage but you gotta let it grow out to be awesome. my hair is finally to the point where i love it and i look like a rockstar (but i still get called hippie so get used to it)
Quote by redhawk1029
wait.. if you're a metalhead, why do you care what people think about you?

ewww :stickpoke
My signature has doubled...
My school has this ridiculous policy that hair on boys can't be longer than the collar. My hair is kind of just past halfway point of the awkward stage and it has just gotten past the collar, but none of the teachers have said anything. Anyway, I've decided I'm gonna go grow it over the summer then come back and hope for the best
Quote by Metallica_Man55
for me, all the time. only it's not cars passing by, it's people at school and some of my friends. i think it's funny though (and no one's being insulting), because not only do i listen to hippy music, but i also listen to metal, as well as stuff from all kinds of genres.

i've been growing out my hair since january 2007 (with the bangs cut short on my forehead). right now i'm thinking about growing out the bangs to have it all one length.

just deal with it. it's worth the wait.

07? daaaamn ive been goin since 05
I'm in the awkward stage right now
I go back to school August 4th also, and they take your picture the first week.
Shucks.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by michal23
My school has this ridiculous policy that hair on boys can't be longer than the collar. My hair is kind of just past halfway point of the awkward stage and it has just gotten past the collar, but none of the teachers have said anything. Anyway, I've decided I'm gonna go grow it over the summer then come back and hope for the best

No guys except for me have grown their hair out at school, so they don't care if it's long
Quote by deckerbastard69
07? daaaamn ive been goin since 05

i grew out my hair from about march 06 to jan 07, then got it cut.

only part i've cut since then is the bangs, which i'll probably grow out now.
Quote by Dwardom
I'm in the awkward stage right now
I go back to school August 4th also, and they take your picture the first week.
Shucks.

august 4th? i go back august 18th. when did you get off for summer?

anyway, they do something similar at my school, probably end of august they take pictures.
Quote by Karvid
No guys except for me have grown their hair out at school, so they don't care if it's long

Man that's awesome

I think they introduced the policy because over the past few years there have been quite a lot of metalheads... but in my year I'm the only one, so maybe they'll make a n exception. Though I doubt it
Yeah I was in the awkward stage, 'cept the hair did cover my ears...I don't really like my hair (although it does sort of look like Syd Barret)
Anyway about 3 weeks ago my grandpa took me to cut my hair, he didn't even ask my parents or anything
My hair used to be below my armpits, but I got it cut. It's not that awkward phase, it's still long and covers up my ears.

Just wait it out.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
i grew out my hair from about march 06 to jan 07, then got it cut.

only part i've cut since then is the bangs, which i'll probably grow out now.

ya, you gotta get it trimmed a few times to make it look good
Quote by Karvid

not many guys at my school have long hair either, and if they do, it's some kind of emo cut or it's cut to not go below their neck/collar.

most of the guys with extremely long hair (like me) have tons of band shirts, which is funny because a lot of them are stuff like black sabbath and iron maiden.
Not everyone suits long hair
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by deckerbastard69
ya, you gotta get it trimmed a few times to make it look good

i didn't get it trimmed back in 07, i got a full on buzz cut.

no cuts since, though.
Quote by michal23
Man that's awesome

I think they introduced the policy because over the past few years there have been quite a lot of metalheads... but in my year I'm the only one, so maybe they'll make a n exception. Though I doubt it

im the only one in my year too

hmm you could make up some bull**** story up so you can keep it...but im sure it wont work, always worth a try though
Quote by Metallica_Man55
i didn't get it trimmed back in 07, i got a full on buzz cut.

no cuts since, though.

I shaved my hair off in March '06 and I haven't cut it since... I think I might need to cut it a little pretty soon.
Page 1 of 2