What's the difference, if any, between a P-90 and a Strat-style single coil? Is it just the look, or is there a difference in sound?
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
there is a difference in sound, hard to explain, you should try em out for your self. personally i like p90's better than strat single coil.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
I think single coils are more trebly and raw...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Underjoggle
What's the difference, if any, between a P-90 and a Strat-style single coil? Is it just the look, or is there a difference in sound?

Strat pickups have more snap, P90s have more bite. Not so much a thick humbucker tone, just a bitier tone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
what he said^
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
oh there's a big difference between p90s and strat-style singles.

if you consider strat style singles as one extreme, and humbuckers the other, p90s are about in the middle, if not even slightly closer to humbuckers (but they aren't noiseless). p90s definitely sound much more "gibson" to me. they quite a bit hotter than strat-style singles too, again close to (paf-style) humbuckers in output.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
P90s are very raw sounding. They have a kind of raunchy midrange similar to humbuckers, but with a high end similar to a Strat.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
agreed, gabe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gabel
P90s are very raw sounding. They have a kind of raunchy midrange similar to humbuckers, but with a high end similar to a Strat.
Word.

I'd also say P90s sound a bit more "woody" than strat single coils.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by Gabel

This is a great description. I would add that the output is closer to a humbucjer as well. If you like the mids and lowes of a humbucker and the high end of single coils, then a P90 may be the perfect fit for you...
I have a guitar with a set of P90s and really like em. They can do some heavy stuff just not death metal. Ive seen a video of Iommi playing sabbath with a set of P90s in a SG. They have em in stacked humcancelling but lose alot of the tone of P90s that way.
Well to be honest, I freaking love the P90s and so does my dad. It's IMO the best of two worlds!

And yes they are a bit wooider, but I'd also say that slightly is from them often being mounted in mahogany guiatrs that IMO have a wooider tone than Strats.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009