How do u guys warm up before you play guitar...how do prevent the tension from building during your playing .....and how do u eliminate it and is it possible?

Thank u

gg
just play an easy song.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I just warm up by doing chromatic scale runs for like 10 minutes or so. And I also get tension sometimes when I play too, usually if it's a new piece I'm learning or something. I usually gradually become more relaxed the easier it is to play for me (after more practice).
Quote by John Spartan
Have a beer

Yessir!

Play through an entire song that doesn't wear you out, but gets the blood flowing. do some pre-show push ups to get the muscles in your arms awake, and so you'll look pump'd for the ladies, so you don't strain yourself. and don't forget to breathe while playing.
C Major then some light string skipping.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
I dont really warm up, i always go straight into whatever i'm playing, i've never really had to warm up =/
Mostly just arpeggios, chord stuff to get the fingers mobile.

That and I take a moment to get relaxed in a playing position. Just hold the guitar prone and rest my fingers lightly on the strings while trying to identify any points of tension. Then I work on making them not tense.... if that makes any sense
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by John Spartan
Have a beer

Yes!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the pentatonic scale. I usually warm up with some variations of Am.

Playing some easy songs comprised of mostly power chords is also a good way to get things loosened up.
I do trills on every string from the 5th fret up to the 10th fret then back down to the 5th fret using a bunch of finger combinations.

I do:
index-middle
index-ring
index-pinky
middle-ring
middle-pinky
ring-pinky (this one KILLS)

it seems to work well for me, considering I'm **** at knowing my scales.