Couldn't find any searchbar entries on this, so here goes:

I'm a guitarist who's getting into bass, so naturally, I suck right now.

Pickstyle sounds best to me, but it wears out my wrist pretty fast, and my picks just don't let me have good control of the strings, they feel flimsy. So, I've decided to give fingerstyle a try.

It gives my wrist a break, and I do feel like I have more control over the strings, but it sounds...choppy. The notes keep getting cut short, and it's not the smooth sound I want. Any practicing tips that will help me?
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
good choice u cant play bass with a pick its not right but i found learning hysteria by muse was a good way to imporve fingerstyle and other faster songs like that aswell..learning slightly harder things like that tend to make anything else u play feel easy
Practice slowly and focus on letting the notes ring. A common mistake for beginners is that as soon as they sound a note, they "choke" the note with the other finger anticipating playing the next one. The technique involves pulling up across, almost brushing the strings, rather than striking the string.
search for some classical guitar excercises and for cordination excercises.

something that helps the same way as it helps when playing with a pick is the 1234 excersice. also make the variations of 0234, 1034,1204,1230 and any thing in between. remember to always pluck the string with fingers 1 and 2 on your right hand (ndex and middle) and avoid to change this order.

check the steve vai workouts and practice that too, but with your fingers. also, to practice tremolo pickeing try this excercise: (in the tab, 1 means to pluck with the thumb, 2 means with the index, 3 means middle, and 4 the other one). this excercise must be first done slowly, so that you can clearly hear the four notes, and then start increasing speed with time.

1  4  3  2  1  4  3  2  1  4  3  2

-1--2--3--4--------------------------
-------------1--2--3--4--------------
-------------------------1--2--3--4--

GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
practice making sure each stroke sounds the same with each finger.
If I ever win the lottery, I will make a restaurant and call it "Thank you for calling, how may I help you" so when someone calls, I can say "Thank you for calling thank you for calling how may I help you how may I help you"
- Daniel Tosh
Quote by bass is bestest
good choice u cant play bass with a pick its not right

Please don't take that advice.

Make sure you're using the correct technique, I would recommend anchoring your thumb on the pickup/E string. Practice simple songs slowly, look at what you're doing that might be muting the string when you don't want it too, etc. +1 to Idnovelo, alot of exercises for guitar can be easily transferred to bass.

I watched Victor Wooten videos on YouTube and tried to copy his technique, along with other bassists, so I would suggest you try that. Find a technique you're comfortable with.
Quote by Froggy McHop
Please don't take that advice.

Make sure you're using the correct technique, I would recommend anchoring your thumb on the pickup/E string. Practice simple songs slowly, look at what you're doing that might be muting the string when you don't want it too, etc. +1 to Idnovelo, alot of exercises for guitar can be easily transferred to bass.

I watched Victor Wooten videos on YouTube and tried to copy his technique, along with other bassists, so I would suggest you try that. Find a technique you're comfortable with.

lol fine its a alright way of doing but in my opinion it takes the fun away from bass if you use a pick.
Quote by bass is bestest

tell that to the Bassist from tool
Quote by bass is bestest

dost listen to that. playing with a pick is simply a different style.
if you want to practice fingerstyle i would recomend just doing scales up the neck and alternate between the middle and index finger..
Firstly, don't close the door to the pick, its important to keep as many styles and techniques as you can, they are useful for different songs and styles, so practice having more stamina with a pick.

In terms of bass and fingers, i'd just do generic scales and then just practice then faster and faster to a metronome if possible. It takes time, like everything but it's worth it in the end.
back to the picking, a possibility for the "flimsy" sound could be that you're using a pick too thin- If you haven't already, try playing with a pick .80 mm or thicker. But still learn fingerstyle- it opens up different tonal possibilities
Quote by mattocaster99
back to the picking, a possibility for the "flimsy" sound could be that you're using a pick too thin- If you haven't already, try playing with a pick .80 mm or thicker. But still learn fingerstyle- it opens up different tonal possibilities
The sound isn't flimsy, the feeling is.
It's like I'm struggling to keep the pick from flying out of my hand while trying to play.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
The sound isn't flimsy, the feeling is.
It's like I'm struggling to keep the pick from flying out of my hand while trying to play.

Get thicker picks, you can't use the little guitar picks for the strings on a bass.
I also find I prefer a big hoofing pick when I play bass. I mainly play fingerstyle, but when I do pick i use a heavy gauge big triangular fender pick, which is much easier to keep hold of.

I practise my fingerstyle by playing three string tunes, and try to dedicate one finger to one string. Hate to say it cos its bad practise but I find scales boring and prefer to practise playing a song. I'll prob get flamed for that.

EG my version of "stir it up" by bob marley is on the E, A and D strings, and I use index finger for E, middle for A and ring finger for D.

Similarly when i play longview by green day, I play it on A, D and G strings, and use the index, middle and ring fingers respectively.

I've found thats helped me get my fingerstyle better, practising getting the attack similar on each string using different fingers.

Might not be the best way but thats how I do it, i'm just a self taught beginner by the way.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
heres a pic of the pick i use (no pun intended)

edit> but I use heavy gauge
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Last edited by Dan_Q at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by Dan_Q
heres a pic of the pick i use (no pun intended)

edit> but I use heavy gauge

Now I'm hungry for Doritos.
I put a hole in two of my picks and attached a wii wrist strap to each of them.
Then you won't have to find them when they come out of your hand.
But if you like the sound of a pick better you should play with a pick.
Quote by Dan_Q
I practise my fingerstyle by playing three string tunes, and try to dedicate one finger to one string. Hate to say it cos its bad practise but I find scales boring and prefer to practise playing a song. I'll prob get flamed for that.

Dude, two of my favorite musicians of all time, Slash and Jaco, have both said that playing songs and melodic things for practice is way better then pumping your scales. I totally agree with you on this.
Quote by matt-attack
I put a hole in two of my picks and attached a wii wrist strap to each of them.
Then you won't have to find them when they come out of your hand.
But if you like the sound of a pick better you should play with a pick.

Dude, you're a genius.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Now I'm hungry for Doritos.

your fingers are supposed to walk on the strings. do you stop after each step? no. do a fluid walk and change your speed, never stop, except for rests.

videotape what you're doing, then compare it to how, say, Chris Wostleholme walks. then adjust accordingly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by JEP4
Dude, you're a genius.

I always drop my pick when I'm done with it (I do this with everything) and then I saw the strap and I coulden't believe more people haven't done this.

Also, I have to sig this because it is a compliment.
play close to the bridge w/ a pick
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
I personally never play with a pick unless I'm goofing off.
Not to say picks are lame or anything, but I personally can't keep it up
nor can I feel the "groove" haha, which is what bass is all about.

However, if you dig picks, do it all you want. I just prefer fingerin' it.