I'm a beginner at playing guitar and I have an Epiphone acoustic that has been fantastic for me. Some of tabs I've looked up have said Drop D tuning or 1/2 step down. I'm wondering what exactly is a "1/2 step" and how would I do this? Also if it helps I have a Fender automatic guitar tuner. Thanks
you tune each string 1/2 step down. so instead of the strings being tuned to e B G D A E, it would be e flat B flat G flat D flat E flat.
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
well yeah what the guy said above me is tuning a 1/2 step down, but for drop d, just turn the low E string down a fullstep to D.
Alright so my tuner has a needle and it goes from CENT -50 then 0 in the middle and CENT +50 at the right so is that -50 and +50 the flat and sharp?
Quote by Boehmer11
I'm a beginner at playing guitar and I have an Epiphone acoustic that has been fantastic for me. Some of tabs I've looked up have said Drop D tuning or 1/2 step down. I'm wondering what exactly is a "1/2 step" and how would I do this? Also if it helps I have a Fender automatic guitar tuner. Thanks

the 1/2 Step down refers to a A440 Hz reference. If you are tuned to A440 (Standard tuning -needle centered with your fender guitar tuner) you simply tune down one fret (or half step). Just fret the low E at the forth fret and Tune your A string to that (your A is now A flat). Tune you D string to A string 5th fret and D is now D Flat, Tune your G string to D String 5th fret and G is now G Flat, Tune B Str with G str 4th fret and B is now B flat, Tune High E Str to B str 5th fret and e is E flat. To get low E you can reference its first octave at A string 12 th fret and tune to it. Low is now E flat and your guitar is now down 1/2 step.
BTW detuning affects action, neck relief and intonation.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 16, 2008,