Ok I'm doing this lesson http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson6/left-hand.html
and I don't quite understand how you know where to place the patterns correctly.
At the end it says do the minor scale up the string so you know if you are messing up or not....but the first pattern isn't a part of that scale, espically since it starts on the root. I'm pretty confused.

And with these patterns, can you just throw them anywhere or do they have to be in synch with the root note and scale?
You play them anywhere on the fret board, they are not ment to sound nice, just for practicing technique.
sounds like you might need to go back to the beginning and start over. i'm lost as to what it is you don't understand.
Quote by Veqq
You play them anywhere on the fret board, they are not ment to sound nice, just for practicing technique.

Um I don't think so because he says the patterns he shows were for the key of C and to practice putting them in every other key.
Quote by Derk4397
Um I don't think so because he says the patterns he shows were for the key of C and to practice putting them in every other key.

I didn't look at it but if you have a pattern for C major scale and you move the whole thing up one semitone and you now have the pattern for C#/Db major scale. Up another semitone and you have the pattern for D major scale etc etc etc.

EDIT: just looked. This is the 3 notes per string method of learning the major scale. There is a guy in this forum that is a big fan this method. He would be good to come along now but I can't remember his name. I learned on the CAGED system which really just clicked with me. You should check this system out as well. It has five patterns based on barred versions open chord shapes C, A, G, E, and D. Then figure out which works for you.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 16, 2008,
Okay staying in the key of C the notes of the Major scale are C D E F G A B (7 notes).
Each pattern he shows (Patterns one through seven) start on a different step of the scale.
Pattern 1 starts on C Pattern 2 starts on D Pattern 3 starts on E etc.

Each pattern contains six notes (3 per string).
So,
Pattern 1 contains C D E F G A.
Pattern 2 contains D E F G A B
Pattern 3 contains E F G A B C etc etc

The patterns all overlap and always follow each other in the same order. Pattern 1 is always followed by Pattern 2 which in turn is always followed by Pattern 3 and on and on Pattern 7 is always followed by Pattern 1.

If you start Pattern 1 on the third fret you would be playing D major scale. The rest of the patterns follow each other in the same way they did in the C major scale. It is one big pattern that is broken down smaller to make it easier to remember but if you move one they all move.

He seems to jump straight into the Natural Minor but get a handle on the Major Scale first. Once you have that sorted you can start on the Natural Minor scale.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 17, 2008,
Oh so its just playing the scales in a different pattern.....that's cool I guess