I am a newbie, to say the least. I know probably 15 chords, maybe 20. I have recently had my teacher request that I find a song that I can play all the way through. Then play the bejesus out of it! He assures me that there are plenty of songs out there that I could find that will not only challenge, but teach me at the same time. I dont doubt this.
I can read most tab. I have several tablature books on various artists already. Some of those are hard to keep up with though.
Anyway, my question to you all is this, "Can you suggest a song for me to start learning that is not entirely difficult, but still challenging?"
wish you were here by pink floyd.

its in the key of G major, the chord progression is G C D a minor i think they're might be an a minor in there im not too sure but its great example of G major.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
smells like teen spirit

twas my first
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
what about some AC/DC or Beatles tunes?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
smoke on the water...or most acoustic songs.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
"oh, pretty woman" by roy orbison

i has a nice riff, and you can play it in front of people and they will admire you. it is pretty simple.
the first chord song i learned was Sorry by Buckcherry. it's pretty simple.
and the first power chord song i learned was She Builds Quick Machines by Velvet Revolver. i didn't learn the solo though. but both are pretty simple and easy to play.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
my first one was good riddance by green day, really fun to play, plus it sounds cool
Quote by MoshPitRock
the first chord song i learned was Sorry by Buckcherry. it's pretty simple.
and the first power chord song i learned was She Builds Quick Machines by Velvet Revolver. i didn't learn the solo though. but both are pretty simple and easy to play.

I have another question regarding your signature... "My daughter does that <3 thing all the time in stuff she posts on the internet and myspace, wtf is that anyway?"

And thatnks for the ideas guys, I am sure between all of the guitarists here, I can find something I can play, ... maybe..
Quote by msihcs
I have another question regarding your signature... "My daughter does that <3 thing all the time in stuff she posts on the internet and myspace, wtf is that anyway?"

And thatnks for the ideas guys, I am sure between all of the guitarists here, I can find something I can play, ... maybe..

The <3 is a heart, tilt your head and look at it
try "Behind the Moon" by Matt Costa. it's got picking and strumming in it. it sounds cool and it's easy to play.
I am officially a father. I am stupid as my teenage daughter says I am. Jesus! Is that all that is? Maybe I have a perverted mind but I honestly thought there may have been something else to it.
Rockin' In The Free World. First one i could play from the beginning to the end. Pretty easy, solos are not difficult either.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
as long as they don't care what your playing try They Say by Scars on Broadway really easy song take a look it only uses 5 notes and 4 chords (really really easy chords) or give Adams Song by Blink 182 a try it's a bit harded but not by much
if you want something with a little bit of everything in it go with either
1. wish you were here(both solos reletively easy)
2. over the hills and far away(a little harder, but not to much, alot of hammerons and pull offs that are fun)
3. good riddance all chords, no solo, fun to play but not all that challenging!

i like blink 182 as much as the next guy but there reletively ALL power/barre chords whatever you wanna call em, there not hard, and get old kinda fast with the exception of a few such as

1. m&m's sounds cool
2. carousel also sounds cool
3. intro to whats my age again is fun
Last edited by SunDrop at Jul 18, 2008,
The first song I ever learned was "Sweet Home Alabama" which is a really fun song to play, I like Lynyrd Skynyrd a lot, but the solos are way beyond me...

I would just go with a song you know and love, and THAT YOU CAN HEAR! I am not a big fan of trying to play a song that you can't hear over the screaming vocals or the distoration.

Just my 2 cents.
living loving maid - led zeppelin
hardest button to button - white stripes
seven nation army - white stripes
i love rock n roll - britney
walkie talkie man - steriogram
in bloom - nirvana