I have always wondered what is the difference between the volume setting on the guitar and the volume knob on the amp. Is there a difference between them? If I put 10 on my guitar and 2 on the amp will it sound different than if I put 2 on my guitar and 10 on the amp? What about the tone knob?
be bold! try it out for yourself
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
If you put a 100-watt tube amp (like a Bugera) on 10, with your guitar on 2, you will probably go deaf.

But hey, try it out, maybe im wrong.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Huge difference, the guitar volume works very well as a type of gain reducer. Try it out. Put your amp on distortion put your guitar volume on 1 or 2, play softly. Then crank the guitar volume to 10 and play regularly. You should notice a considerable difference.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
in my experience if you keep the amp up and the knob down you can have more variety at your fingertips. If you need to cut through for a solo just turn up the knob instead of running over to an amp or boost pedal
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Doodleface
Huge difference, the guitar volume works very well as a type of gain reducer. Try it out. Put your amp on distortion put your guitar volume on 1 or 2, play softly. Then crank the guitar volume to 10 and play regularly. You should notice a considerable difference.

I was so busy being sarcastic that i forgot to say this. For me, the guitar volume works sort of as a gain/volume knob.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
+1. Watch the video below. Zakk starts off clean with the guitars volume set low. As the piece progresses you see him reach down several times to increase the volume so he starts getting a meaner sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE

I love watching the greats at work

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your Guitar volume basically just adjusts the amount of level your pickups put out. Which is why decreasing the volume lowers the gain on the amp.

Exactly! I roll down the volume on my guitar for clean sounds.

This is MUCH mroe noticeable on a tube amp, at least when cranked. From my experience when using mostly preamp gain the volume of your guitar doesn't affect the clean as much. But when using poweramp gain it does a HUGE difference!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by RCShadow
+1. Watch the video below. Zakk starts off clean with the guitars volume set low. As the piece progresses you see him reach down several times to increase the volume so he starts getting a meaner sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE

I love watching the greats at work

Chris

Beautiful!
Anyone else think he is really spazzy when he is turning the knob... lol
Theres one part in his playing that he gets sorta loopy too.. Not talking down about his playing but it intresting to watch him..