Page 1 of 2
So I decided: instead of my first tube amp, I'm getting a Pod. You know, after looking up on it, it just made more sense. If I'd get the tube amp, it would be a 15-ish watter along with an OD, but then I realised, I don't know what I want yet. I've been playing for over a year now, and I honestly don't know what I want from my tone. I like metal, mainly thrash, which I really enjoy playing, and prog, but I've also been getting into jazz and funk. Getting an amp now just wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

A pod seems perfect for me. I'm sure you guys know how pods roll, so do you think it's a good choice? And are the extra features on the X3 worth the price difference from the XT?

Cheers!

EDIT:

Quote by slashs_#1_fan
I can vouch for these sounding fantastic, but the TS likes thrash which the tonelab cant do well. The POD will be better for this. I havent played the boss GT-10 so couldnt comment on that, but i dont think the Tonelab is versatile enough. If you like great cleans, crunch, blues classic and hard rock then the Tonelab is the best, but metal not so much...

The other thread I made didn't succeed so I'll have to resort to necrophilea and bump up this thread.

So I haven't got around to buy the Pod yet, and as I've distanced myself from metal and got further into jazz during this period, the Tonelab became an option. The thing is, the Tonelab is a very much vintage-oriented modeller, but I'm more interested in pursuing a modern tone, if you understand what I mean. So do you think the Tonelab would suffice?

And how hard is it to record with, compared to the Pods?
Last edited by Whiskky at Nov 2, 2008,
good choice. i would go with the new x3, seens more features. but i'm still kind of undecided myself since im getting one also.
Yup, even when you enter the holy land of tubes your pod will still be useful for other things. Great investment.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I remember TwoString (helpful UGer) saying that Line 6 had yet to fix some bugs on the X3, but that was months ago. Still, I'd ask the Line 6 forum before making your decision.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Pizza The Hut
NOOOOOOOO.

Seriously get the tube amp.

Why? You can tell he's not gigging soon and undecided about his tone...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Go for the X3. I have at XT that I use every now and then for certain things, and the X3 has way more features.

PODs are very handy devices.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by Whiskky
So I decided: instead of my first tube amp, I'm getting a Pod. You know, after looking up on it, it just made more sense. If I'd get the tube amp, it would be a 15-ish watter along with an OD, but then I realised, I don't know what I want yet. I've been playing for over a year now, and I honestly don't know what I want from my tone. I like metal, mainly thrash, which I really enjoy playing, and prog, but I've also been getting into jazz and funk. Getting an amp now just wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

A pod seems perfect for me. I'm sure you guys know how pods roll, so do you think it's a good choice? And are the extra features on the X3 worth the price difference from the XT?

Cheers!

If you're unsure then a POD would be a fine choice. Plus you can always upgrade with something like http://www.atomicamps.com/products-112-18.html if you decide to get some tubes but dont wanna part with the line 6
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jul 16, 2008,
You've made a good choice, a multi-fx is a great way to figure out what you like, and one of the higher end Pods will sound great too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Cuz he's a ****ing little kid who jumped on the band wagon against Line 6, Pod x3 sounds really good for digital.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by Pizza The Hut
NOOOOOOOO.

once you are off the tube bandwagon and look at the guys needs, the POD is a good choice. He hasnt been playing too long so will still be developing and wont be gigging. The POD is the perfect way to try out different sounds and to get good tones in the bedroom. His style is shifting and the POD will accomodate whatever he likes until he has honed his skill and also developed his ear for tone. Tube isnt always the answer
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
once you are off the tube bandwagon and look at the guys needs, the POD is a good choice. He hasnt been playing too long so will still be developing and wont be gigging. The POD is the perfect way to try out different sounds and to get good tones in the bedroom. His style is shifting and the POD will accomodate whatever he likes until he has honed his skill and also developed his ear for tone. Tube isnt always the answer

+1. I love tube amps, but they aren't always the answer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I love tube amps, too, but my little pocket pod is great for headphone practice!
Quote by Pizza The Hut
NOOOOOOOO.

just because it has couple tubes in them doesn't meant they're the best solution.
I have an XT myself, and when I got it I was really happy with it. It's too digital for me now though... My ears have developed! :P
Getting the X3 is a good choise for you indeed! It helped me a lot creating my own tones and getting more experience with FX and tone. It's a fun device, but eventually you will sell it, or at least not use the amp models.

I'm selling my amp and XT for hopefully getting a JCM anytime soon.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
if you must get a multi FX Get the GT10 waaaayyy more versitile and better cleans. the POD is only really good at metalish tones.

but just get a versatile amp maybe? like a Classi 20 or 30? mesa F30 or 50?
?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I have an X3 its awesome, I also had an XT I didnt think it was so awesome.....
Quote by Osiris77

so it all comes down to which one is more awesome......
naw dont get a tube amp yet, the PODs also have a cool USB feature that lets you tweak the POD from your computer visually. It will give you a sample of what all those Amps modelled in the POD will sound like, and eventually you can decide which route you want to go later on wether its Marshall, VOX, Mesa, or even a Fender amp for Blues.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
I was thinking the exact same thing and then i got a PODxt Live. The sounds aren't perfect but they are pretty great and they're a lot of fun. Plus you can use the POD for effects when you get you're dream amp.
I would advise you, if you get the Pod 2.0, to play around w/ the amp models to see what you like.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I'm gonna be getting a Line 6 POD XT in a trade pretty soon, so i'm pretty pumped.
It'd be nice to have a little recording tool like that to lay down some licks and get them on my computer without worrying about the crappy sound quality of my camera.
The effects will be nice too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Good choice, I wish I would have got a pod instead of my ME-50. I now have a tube amp n some pedals. But if there is bugs they'll sort them out. I don't know I guess it depends how much you wnat to spend to decide which one you want.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
dark I wouldn't do that... It's not really gonna fit you very well it's horiblle at low gain and clean tones imo
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
sometimes i condsider getting one, and then running it through the power amp in of my amp. it would be nice to get some other sounds since i do alot of studio work with local guys.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'm gonna be getting a Line 6 POD XT in a trade pretty soon, so i'm pretty pumped.
It'd be nice to have a little recording tool like that to lay down some licks and get them on my computer without worrying about the crappy sound quality of my camera.
The effects will be nice too.

Might wanna look into the Vox Tonelab, not sure how easy it is to record with one though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I've been into the modeling stuff for about a year now with the POD XTL (and the Variax 700) and was relatively pleased with the results mainly through my Vox DA 20 and the PA that I have, but I have to say this stuff really didn't come to life until I plugged into a Valve junior (combo V3) i bought for my G/F. I ordered the Head/cab for me within 20 minutes of plugging into that combo. Seriously it wasn't just a little better it was a huge upgrade in tone. If you can swing it at all get a VJr when you get the POD. Amp models like the Fender Champ, Mesa Boogie Dual rec, Soldano, and AC30 are just outstanding through a Valve Junior and with the EFX in the POD the versatility is just about endless for practice.

As a side note I'm getting good results micing through my PA also. The true test will be end of Aug, when I stand in for the lead guitarist in a Dokken cover band. I've got the tone making it loud against the drummer will be the challenge. We practice together this weekend at a local school so I hope to work it out.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by aznrockerdude
Might wanna look into the Vox Tonelab, not sure how easy it is to record with one though.

I can vouch for these sounding fantastic, but the TS likes thrash which the tonelab cant do well. The POD will be better for this. I havent played the boss GT-10 so couldnt comment on that, but i dont think the Tonelab is versatile enough. If you like great cleans, crunch, blues classic and hard rock then the Tonelab is the best, but metal not so much...
Quote by Bostonrocks
dark I wouldn't do that... It's not really gonna fit you very well it's horiblle at low gain and clean tones imo

Well, i'm getting other stuff in the trade.
I don't even care too much about the tone, I just want something to record with and lay down some tracks.
Plus, It'd be nice to get some high gain tones once in a while, assuming that it does that decently.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ok, I was thinking of getting the XT, since I could get it right way. But I'll save up a little more cash and get the X3. I haven't really considered the GT-10 because it seems much more complicated than the Pods, which seem pretty straight-forward, and I'm not interested in a floor multi-fx. Plus, I think it's > 400 euros, and I don't want to spend more than 400.

To the guy who recommend me getting a more versatile amp: well, my budget can't stretch that much, and I can't find that kind of used gear around here.

As for the VJ recommendation: sounds good, I might consider it, but a VJ head + cab seems like pushing it. Also, I'd rather start saving right away to get something really good in a year or two. And if I need to play with someone, I'll have my Cube.

Thanks everyone. I'm definetely getting the X3
Quote by kckyle
so it all comes down to which one is more awesome......

You sir are correct, and the X3 is definately more awesome......
Quote by shredhead22
If you're unsure then a POD would be a fine choice. Plus you can always upgrade with something like http://www.atomicamps.com/products-112-18.html if you decide to get some tubes but dont wanna part with the line 6

Works great for me. plus it takes tube preamps really really well. my engl sounds amazing through my atomic.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Osiris77

its the same sounds if you have the expansions for the xt...
I haven't turned on my Orange for one and half months (last time was when I played wiht my band). Why? They aren't good for playing at home with. I instead play using Amplitube and headphones. and since you aren't sure what tone you want, a POD is wonderful idea!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by slashs_#1_fan

The other thread I made didn't succeed so I'll have to resort to necrophilea and bump up this thread.

So I haven't got around to buy the Pod yet, and as I've distanced myself from metal and got further into jazz during this period, the Tonelab became an option. The thing is, the Tonelab is a very much vintage-oriented modeller, but I'm more interested in pursuing a modern tone, if you understand what I mean. So do you think the Tonelab would suffice?

And how hard is it to record with, compared to the Pods?
nice choice man. i was gonna get a tube amp, but i realized thats not what i needed. im gonna get mine in a few hours im getting the XT, but if u have enough to spend for the X3, go for it. good luck in the pursuit of tone happiness
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I have decided to trade my Gt-8 With a Pod XT Live cos gt 8 doesnt suit my high gain needs. Also when you do recording can you both record and hear the guitar's sound? how do you do it?

And also doesnt In Flames use Pods for their cleans and effects?
POD's are pretty good for everything, not just metal. Stick with the POD, you'll be glad you did.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Page 1 of 2