Can someone define key for me, I searched and couldnt find anything, what is "key", how is it used to make riffs, etc...

also what is music theory?

thanks in advanced.
Quote by ocelott
whew... lol there's a bunch of lessons on here about that.

I found one about music theory, none on key...
Quote by Enihs
I found one about music theory, none on key...
Keys are one of the fundamental concepts of music theory. Any basic music theory lesson will discuss keys.

Anyway, a key is essentially a given root note, and a set of notes in relation to it that sound "good". For instance, the Key of C major includes C(root note), D, E, F, G, A, and B. Something written in the key of C major will primarily include chords with notes in C major, such as C(C E G), F(F A C), and G(G B D). Furthermore, if you're playing over something in C major, playing in C major yourself will probably sound more consonant than playing a lot of out of key notes. This is a basic description at best and I suggest reading well, something. The "Music Theory FAQ Guide" thread in this forum is good for the basics.

Music Theory is a field of study surrounding music. It includes things like harmony, melody, rhythm, etc. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a set of rules, but rather a way to describe and communicate musical concepts effectively.
Ok. The key of a particular song or in music is pretty much the "voice" as I call it. It's the root of the certain song. For example, if you start a pentatonic scale on the 5th fret on the E string, it is an A minor pentatonic scale. Because the root is an A note. This is important when you're playing with a band. You want to all be in the same key.
Quote by grampastumpy
Music Theory is a field of study surrounding music. It includes things like harmony, melody, rhythm, etc. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a set of rules, but rather a way to describe and communicate musical concepts effectively.

Also, it helps us understand the music we listen to and play, so we have a better idea of how to create the music we hear in our heads.