I'm just starting to learn to play the electric guitar, and am picking one out. I went to two music stores today.

One guy recommended a Godin Freeway for more versatility, and I went to the other store and really liked the Fender Stratocasters they had there.

I like Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Nirvana, and a little bit of Metal.

What should I get?
you can do metal with a strat, just make sure its a fat strat (humbucker in bridge). That would be my choice
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
If you're just starting with your first electric guitar, I really recommend buying a Squier Strat bundle or an Epi Les Paul bundle. Both nice starter guitars, and once you get better on playing with one of those, buy a better one (if your wallet allows you to do so )
If your life was a song, would you sing my name?
yamaha pacifica 112v been voted loads of times as the best guitar in its price range, and known for versatility and comfort, give it a look.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
you can do metal with a strat, just make sure its a fat strat (humbucker in bridge). That would be my choice

+1 Godins are excellent guitars. The Freeway with its humbucker in the bridge will get you into hard rock & metal territory.

I think fat strat-style guitars (humbucker at the bridge + 2 single coils at the neck and middle) are extremely versatile guitars for beginners who may want to play a broad range of music.

Another well-regarded starter guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica 112. They use good wood and are well-made. They are a fat strat: they come with a humbucker at the bridge and two single coils. In Canada they cost ~$250 new, about 1/2 the cost of a Made-in-Mexico strat, or 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of an American strat.

Happy guitar shopping!
Have you thought about an amplifier? I'd recommend a small digital practice amp to get you started & familiar with different tones & effects.

Check out the microcube or the Vox DA5 -- you can't really go wrong with either of them. They are small, but that way you can save up for a nice tube amp when you have a better idea of what you are looking for ...
Epiphone or Ibanez are cheap and good quality.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Go Rondo Music
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Stevie Ray vaughan and hendrix played primarily strats to I would reccomend a strat, even though I think teles ****ing own.
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap