However you want. Seriously. EVH holds it between his middle finger and thumb, but it makes no difference.
It's all up to personal preference...
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
i hold it with three fingers sometimes and i play fine
this thread pops up way to much
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Playing guitar is all about how it feels to you. People do everything differently. Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
thumb and pointer
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
ive been told i hold the pick weird... here i have a couple pictures
how I hold it...

how i've been suggested to hold it...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
ive been told i hold the pick weird... here i have a couple pictures
how I hold it...

how i've been suggested to hold it...

long nails

ahahah

but anywho, ive been told i "picked" wierd, too idk how its any different
make a loose fist, insert between index finger and thumb.

it's the most relaxed your hand can possibly be. which is really what you should be aiming for i.e. no excess muscle tension.

EDIT: just looked at the link, I'd say the picture is sort of right, but the fist needs to be looser. that picture makes it look as though your thumb knuckle joint is where you're putting the pressure on the pick. I personally put pressure on the pick with the pad/tip of my thumb. I think it gives me better control.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jul 16, 2008,
however is most comfortable for you. also its not all about holding your pick but also how you position your hand so find a comfortable position for both
this is a guide i wrote up about a month ago

Plectrum grip

Plectrum grip, or pic grip is a vital part to a guitarists style and accuracy of play, it can mean the difference between a sloppy sounding song and a sharp, slick sounding song. Many guitarists just use the flat-picking style, but these guitarists normally play nothing but punk-rock, which mainly involves down stroke power chords. A correctly held plectrum should easily be glided across strings with the same pressure on a down stroke as up.

As a stating guide make your finger first into a c shape with your finger tip pointing toward your arm, then place your plectrum on it. Grab with you thumb and leave a small amount of the pic pointing out of your fingers. A closer grip means more control. For example, to write neater with a pen you hold it closer to the tip rather than right up the top.

-black lines representing the first finger and red representing the pic, this is how you should hole your plectrum, the thumb goes horizontally over the plectrum leaving a small bit of the plectrum sticking out.

That’s not all I have to share, there are problems people have playing a string. This is mainly because the plectrum is either not vertical to the strings or is on a crooked angle.
When you play you should have the plectrum vertical to the strings. Something that will cause most dilemmas in playing is the angle of which their pic is at. Turn your pic at a 90-degree angle to your bridge (side facing the bridge) then turn it 45 degrees to the strings. This creates an equal amount of required pressure to play both up and down strokes making it easier to play freely rather then try to pluck at strings trying not to play one string louder than the other.
-A plectrum at a 45-degree angle to the strings

This technique mainly works with a relaxed playing style. When you’re playing next time try these plectrum grip techniques, try not to make the pic angle to the floor or roof, make sure it points straight. When you play don’t just flick your wrist, move your whole arm and make smaller arm movements for more control. When playing going across the strings, like in ‘The Pretender’, or in Kryptonite make each note played a single movement going down the strings instead of plucking at them by flicking the wrist.

Thanks for reading and give them a go, they may take a while to get used to but once you are used to them every song will be easier. If you have any questions e-mail me at toeinator@hotmail.com

© Michael Tozer 2008, All of this is original work by Michael Tozer-toeinator@hotmail.com
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Personal preference. I hold it between my thumb's second knuckle and my index finger.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
Quote by josephcoolness
long nails

ahahah

but anywho, ive been told i "picked" wierd, too idk how its any different

classical guitar my friend
I hold mine almost identically to the original link, which is not far off how PG holds his. I tend to open up my fingers into that fan shape for certain things, and make a fist for others. See Vai when he shreds, his fingers stick out like mad.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I used to hold it with the tips of my thumb, index, and middle finger.

Now I've found it easier (and actually sounds much better) to hold it between the flat part of my thumb and the side (bottom join) of my index finger.

It's really up to personal preference though. Try all the styles you can and see which one seems more natural to you. Don't listen to those guys who say "this one way of holding the pick is the only right way" or "you'll regret it if you don't learn it this way" - those are lies. Just do what feels most comfortable to you.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
i also noticed not too long ago that when im playing rhythm stuff like fast metal rhythms... i hold the pick with three fingers; thumb, index, and middle
I used to hold it between my index/middle fingers and my thumb, but I now hold it like C.C. Deville's 'reccomended style' is.. It's a much more dynamic picking style than the 3-finger one is.
also if you start using jazz III's your technique will change. i used to have the default technique(the pictures and what every teacher will tell you), then i started using jazz III's and i had to compensate for the smaller pick. it takes a while to go pack to regular picks if you start using jazz III's
Quote by ironman1478
also if you start using jazz III's your technique will change. i used to have the default technique(the pictures and what every teacher will tell you), then i started using jazz III's and i had to compensate for the smaller pick. it takes a while to go pack to regular picks if you start using jazz III's

Heh, Jazz III's changed my style too!