Hey there, i'm new to UG but i do regularly visit it's forums and tabs.

Anyways, i was thinking about getting the Epiphone Viola Bass, i'm aware that i have to try it first, but does anyone have any experience with one or heard anything about it?

I'm just looking for some opinions thanks
i haven't had any experiance with it, but i have heard that its not as good as the orignal 'beatles bass'. Epiphone is not a good brand in general for basses. A fender is always the best choice but i duppose it depends on what tone you want.
Hope this helped.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by meganh37
I personally think basses like that are really cool looking. Paul McCartney has one, I believe it's a Hofner Violin bass, really cool though.

The old original hofners are a lot differet from the epiphone versions.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Thanks for the responses guys, but could i have some reasons as to why this bass doesn't live up to the Hofner? Why it isn't good? etc
They both suck, in my opinion. the Epiphone is constructed poorly, the Hofner is uncomfortable and sounds really odd.
the only reason Paul ever used one is because he didn't want to look stupid playing lefty and it was cheap.
notice tone and feel were not in the above list.

I would suggest getting a Squier VM, Squier CV, or an Ibanez. they may not look as cool, but if you are anything like me, you will thank me for pointing you away from the violin body basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Since i didn't specify what tone and sound i want. I generally want it for classic rock like LZ, The Beatles, Rolling Stones and stuff. Is it a good choice for that bluesy rock type of sound?
I suggest a GSR200 by Ibanez. it has a split coil to sound like Bill Wyman, and a single coil to add a little punch. it is active, however, and will seem a little more modern.
or, for more exact sound, you can get a good VM j bass to sound like John Paul Jones. or a used Fender Mustang for an exact Wyman tone, however, neither of these basses can completely copy the other's tone.
a Hofner will sound only like early Beatles. and kill for 1/2 a second when you flip the switches on it.
If you like the tone in Paint it Black, I believe a fretless was used for that recording. first ever fretless bass recorded.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Violin basses by construction are a very, very strange bird. They have a distinct sound that requires flatwounds and they're super-fragile. I think they sound horrible and will literally fall apart in your hands if you play passionately, but apparently Epiphones hold together better than the $3500 Hofners. Tone-wise, it's a crap shoot; you shouldn't bother looking for good tone out of these basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by CaseOnBass
Hey there, i'm new to UG but i do regularly visit it's forums and tabs.

Anyways, i was thinking about getting the Epiphone Viola Bass, i'm aware that i have to try it first, but does anyone have any experience with one or heard anything about it?

I'm just looking for some opinions thanks

welcome to UG Bass.
as you can already tell, the viola bass is not real popular. i personally like the look.
but as a functioning tool for playing bass, it doesn't live up to it's history. Sir Paul made it work, but he didn't keep playing them later, when he could afford better stuff.
if your in it for the looks, buy it. if you think you might record something someday, keep looking.
Thanks for all your comments and opinions, this is exactly what i wanted. If it helps, i'm only new to bass, and new to music again after retiring from Clarinet and Saxophone 5 years ago. If bought, this would be my 2nd bass, i don't think i'll be recording for a while, but does it work nicely for a beginner?
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
welcome to UG Bass.
as you can already tell, the viola bass is not real popular. i personally like the look.
but as a functioning tool for playing bass, it doesn't live up to it's history. Sir Paul made it work, but he didn't keep playing them later, when he could afford better stuff.
if your in it for the looks, buy it. if you think you might record something someday, keep looking.

It's strange he started off playing the hofner, then went to rickenbackers, and then a few weeks ago at a concert in Liverpool he had the hofner out again.

Maybe he just plays it as it is in his comfort zone?

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
It's strange he started off playing the hofner, then went to rickenbackers, and then a few weeks ago at a concert in Liverpool he had the hofner out again.

xx

he plays it to hearken back to the olden days.

and cause Hofner gives him lots of money to do it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by shinhoman

xx

He wants people to harken back to the days before face lifts and nasty divorces, when he was the "cute Beatle".

Epis viola basses have construction issues. They suffer from the usual poor QA of some of Epis bass line and they sound thumpy, but not in a good way. Like strings across plywood kinda thumpy.

And btw TS, welcome to the forums.
Quote by anarkee
He wants people to harken back to the days before face lifts and nasty divorces, when he was the "cute Beatle".

Epis viola basses have construction issues. They suffer from the usual poor QA of some of Epis bass line and they sound thumpy, but not in a good way. Like strings across plywood kinda thumpy.

And btw TS, welcome to the forums.

don't listen to her, she hates short scales.

don't ban me...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Let's not forget WHY Paul chose the Violin bass. First off, he was a lefty (did you know that!?) and he felt the more symmetric look of the Hofner would make him look less silly when playing it upside down than the other bass in the shop, the Fender Precision. Oh, and the Hofner was 70 quid, while the Precision was 110. Paul McCartney was (and as I recall, still is) quite a miser. There's plenty of footage of him playing with a Hofner with a taped-on pickup, which speaks volumes about the reliability and cheapness of the man and his bass.

But I never found Paul to be a tone monster. As woofy as his Hofner tone was, I'd rather deal with it than listen to his Ric tone - especially the Abbey Road nylon-strings-on-a-bright-Ric tone. Man, it sounds like a whale smacking against an empty water silo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
finally... light...

that man has a truly horrid tone.

and fitz, I said the lefty bit.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I honestly don't see why people want these basses. They are waaay to light, they feel like they're made of styrofoam, it's horrible, I always feel like I'm going to crush mine when I play it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I've played a couple of Violin basses, and frankly the circuitry was also a pain in the ass. Two distinct sounds come out the bass, but each is at a different volume, and the tone is different by a large degree, so you set up the amp for the neck pickup to sound nice, then the bridge one sounds really poor. Also the small body is offputting, especially seeing that it is so fragile. Fragile and over-small are not good bedfellows.
Quote by the humanity
he plays it to hearken back to the olden days.

and cause Hofner gives him lots of money to do it.

Maybe he just likes the sound. Check out the rooftop concert fool
Quote by due 07
Maybe he just likes the sound. Check out the rooftop concert fool

say no to necroposting, brutha.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard