Alright so the other day i was driving home from the airport and about half an hour into the trip my car just wouldn't change gear (it's auto). If i put my foot down even a little the rev's would shoot up 5000 instantly. After turning the car off and back on i was able to get her right again but after 5 minutes it did it again.
So now i can only get about 10 minutes at most worth of driving 50 - 60k's before she starts over revving and not changing gears.
The car is a 93 Magna Station Wagon, auto transmission (plenty of transmission fluid by the way) has a carborated (sp) engine (whatever the hell that means) and has done about 199 900 k's.

Much appreciate any help from you guys.
Get on top of my coffin woman.
Quote by blue_strat
Take it into a garage?

Get a professional to look at it?

I would almost definitely do this
Its probably you mass air flow sensor which is on your throttle body it controls how much the throttle opens up which controls acceleration its around a 200 u.s. dollar part.
Quote by blue_strat
Take it into a garage?

Get a professional to look at it?

Yeah i realise this is the best option and its what i will do, but i want to know exactly whats wrong with it before i take it there so they dont end up charging me for a whole bunch of **** thats unnecessary.
Get on top of my coffin woman.
It sounds to me like your transmission is in the process of dying. It tends to happen to 15 year old cars with 200,000 clicks on them.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Left_behind
Alright so the other day i was driving home from the airport and about half an hour into the trip my car just wouldn't change gear (it's auto). If i put my foot down even a little the rev's would shoot up 5000 instantly. After turning the car off and back on i was able to get her right again but after 5 minutes it did it again.
So now i can only get about 10 minutes at most worth of driving 50 - 60k's before she starts over revving and not changing gears.
The car is a 93 Magna Station Wagon, auto transmission (plenty of transmission fluid by the way) has a carborated (sp) engine (whatever the hell that means) and has done about 199 900 k's.

Much appreciate any help from you guys.

with something like that, i would consider getting a brand new car, 'cause honestly, even if you did find out whats wrong with it, its not worth it.
but it sounds like your transmission is ****ed up. try changing the tranny oil and see if that helps, if not, most likely a gallery is broken and you'll need a brand new transmission.
are you sure its not your tranny? sounds like something is slipping, maybe gears are bad?

if it was your MAF (mass air flow sensor) then your check engine light would be on. so if thats not on then that def shoots that down. i dont think thats it anyways.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by djmay71
with something like that, i would consider getting a brand new car, 'cause honestly, even if you did find out whats wrong with it, its not worth it.
but it sounds like your transmission is ****ed up. try changing the tranny oil and see if that helps, if not, most likely a gallery is broken and you'll need a brand new transmission.

it always seems like someone always beats me to replies! I hate it! and it always says that their post is 1 minute ahead of mine which makes it seem like i dont read this.

darn you dude!!!
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Bkennedy88
Its probably you mass air flow sensor which is on your throttle body it controls how much the throttle opens up which controls acceleration its around a 200 u.s. dollar part.

MAFS? Are you serious dude? Its an auto transmission meaning the MAFS has nothing to do with the revving,

EDIT: btw TS, are you canadian? coz if you are and you live close to the S,D and G area in Ontario, bring it to the shop I work at where there is always a fully certifed mechanic on duty.
Last edited by djmay71 at Jul 16, 2008,