Hello,

I'm looking for a tube amplifier for under $300 (new or used, but preferably new). I play rock and metal. I will probably be buying a pedal for distortion separately. Thank you for your suggestions
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by ShredGod George
Epiphone Valve junior halfstack?

I was looking at that one, actually.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of half stacks over combos? Also, what are some good distortion pedals (looking for something more suited for metal than for general rock) to go along with a tube amp?
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
I'd say a VJ half stack or a Blackheart killer any or whatev er its called. Then put a tube screamer in front. should give u what ur looking. a half stack like a VJ isn't going to be annoying if u just leave it in one room.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
But what are the advantages of a half stack? Also, I will be taking this with me to college (my 15 watt Crate fit in my dorm fine... it's average sized for a practice amp), but won't be moving it around there. So a half stack should work fine.

I'll take a look at the tube screamers.

EDIT: Which one is the better tube screamer? Also, is there anything good for under $100 in terms of pedals?

EDIT 2: I read some reviews... and I think I'm looking for a distortion pedal rather than an overdrive one
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Last edited by KolosoK at Jul 16, 2008,
For ur price a basic halfstack like those are probaly the best for the price. They wont be to loud just keep at low volumes. Half stacks are genraly downed on because they are a hassle to carry and move but u just need to be willing to move them.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
For ur price a basic halfstack like those are probaly the best for the price. They wont be to loud just keep at low volumes. Half stacks are genraly downed on because they are a hassle to carry and move but u just need to be willing to move them.

Ok, so that's the disadvantage. But what is the advantage of them? Are they louder, clearer, or what?

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

EDIT: lol, gstacey, looks like you have the same crappy amp as I do
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Last edited by KolosoK at Jul 16, 2008,