ok so i have this guitar http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AEG20E-Flamed-Sycamore-Top-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103036620-i1166458.gc
i love it but sometimes i feel as it doesnt give me the "full" sound cause its skinnier, but ithat also makes it more comfortable to play. kinda a trade off i guess. i play violin and you usually try to go for older instruments cause they usually have a deeper warmer tone. my question is, does the same apply for acoustic guitars cause i was thinking i could try to get a nice used one that has that nice full warm tone. thanks
hmm....well for guitars to age, they have to be played over the course of a long time....to loosen up the bracing (i think). the guitar would also have to be made of solid wood for it to age......but i mean there are other guitars that are a little wider than that ibanez but not as wide as say a dreadnought or something...you might try to search aroudn for them xD
Quote by Antibiotics101
hmm....well for guitars to age, they have to be played over the course of a long time....to loosen up the bracing (i think). the guitar would also have to be made of solid wood for it to age......but i mean there are other guitars that are a little wider than that ibanez but not as wide as say a dreadnought or something...you might try to search aroudn for them xD

yea i was gonna try to find one from like the '60s or '70s. money isnt a HUGE problem cause i have a summer job and as long as i have $120 a month for my car payment, i can spend m paycheck as i please.
Well the thing is man; Size really is the difference maker. A guitar as skinny as yours will never sound the same as a full depth guitar of the same or a similar brand, no matter the age.

I have an Alvarez AD70SC and it has built in electronics just like your Ibanzez, or my uncle's AD60CK. So the elctronics aren't really an issue when it comes to having an authentic acoustic sound. But here's the thing:

My uncle is a very good player compared to me, and he said the exact same thing as you. He likes his thinner AD60CK because it fits him more comfortably. I bought the big guitar without worrying about the size. My uncle mentioned the size issue after I had already bought it. We have two different body types, so something that bothers him about an instrument's build might not bother me.

That's not to say that he couldn't play my guitar. It just wouldn't feel as good to him, and he might perform a little worse as a result of it. The comfort issue however, is probably something both you and him could work around. You'd just need to use it enough to get over the fact that it sits a little bit odd in your lap.

If you don't want to sacrifice size for sound, you'll have to play the guitar as is, and when you record in studio or play live, you'll have to use additional electronics to alter the sound. If you want the authentic sound without being plugged in, you're going to need the bigger guitar...

I suppose another couple of options would be just playing lead parts in the songs (because you don't really need a full sound for smaller chords or melodies) and have a buddy play a bigger guitar for the rythym parts. Or you could try and meet the size/sound compomise half way and buy an Ovation guitar. The back is made of a plastic bowl and it sounds just about the as good as full sized dreadnoughts and still has an impressive electronics system. The only problem is the bowl shape balancing in your lap (you'd have to get used to holding it).

Start with the easiest solutions first.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Jul 16, 2008,
honestly i dont plug it in that much, i mainly play folk-punk stuff on it. size isnt really an issue, i kinda knew when i was getting it that it wouldnt have that big tone, but it was my first acoustic (been playing electric for 4 years at the time) and it was nice and comfy and sounded great (still does). but i was just wanting to know if it made a difference in quality and price, as for going for older used guitars.
Some of the more expensive vintage guitars sound nice. Just be careful with those older guitars. The necks and fretboards can go easily, even if they were taken care of moderately well. So if you do buy an older guitar, vintage is cool, but be prepared at all times to have a part replaced if it wasn't taken care of with absolute perfection. The best 'vintage' guitars are probably Taylors or Martin's made of a really nice wood. Brazillian rose wood guitars are wonderful, but even the old ones are expensive.

See what you can find.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant