My teacher told me this one at my last lesson...

when your improvising in front of people, you dont want to throw everyone you've got at them right away. Its like if you meet a girl and she immediately takes her top off, its cool, but if you meet her again, youre just gonna be like "oh, shes got her top off again...." But if the first time you meet her, and shes wearing a nice blouse, youre gonna wanna see more of what she has to offer.

Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
wow. i think that's the first time i've ever heard some 1 explain it so well.
I don't get it.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
The teacher just means that improv solos should start basic and gradually get more complex. My music teacher compared it to real life, it gets better and better as you progress until you reach the climax and then it starts going down. Then he went on to say that the concept applies to many things including book/movie plots, arguments and some "adult situations", yes he actually said that in class.
I've heard that a guitar is like a simile, because good ones sound better. Or maybe it was amps...
My teacher says improv on stage should go like a fireworks show. Start basic (Dorian, Ionian) then every little bit throw out a "boomer" as in shred or play a couple power riffs, then go on for a little bit and for the "finale" solo and shred in some melodic minor.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by Teh GIR

when your improvising in front of people, you dont want to throw everyone you've got at them right away. Its like if you meet a girl and she immediately takes her top off, its cool, but if you meet her again, youre just gonna be like "oh, shes got her top off again...." But if the first time you meet her, and shes wearing a nice blouse, youre gonna wanna see more of what she has to offer.

Dude... that's the best analogy I have heard. That teaches me a lot just from that statement.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by Teh GIR

epic
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Quote by Teh GIR

i dont think id ever be like "oh shes got her top off again"
id just keep falling in love
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Yeah, I call it "holding back the fire".

Or "holding back the fucking fury!"
for a rhythm player its like playing something melodic (fade to black) that has parts that rip, then ease back to melody and ending in a good old fashion thrash party! as far as holding back, well we gotta go where the song takes us. but songs like that are my favs. to play. good advice from your teacher dude
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab