I built a "Frankenstrat" look-a-like a year ago and now I'm going to upgrade it. I know I want a tremolo system on it I just can't decide. Should I get a Floyd Rose or a Kahler. What are your thoughts?
i know i'm going to come off as a dick but this is a question of that no person can answer for you. they both have their ups and downs. the floyd's tuning stability is better because when you do a crazy bend on a kahler you have to dive it to get it back in tune. this is something i really don't mind. the kahler feels like a feather when you use it and is my opinion easier to setup. i have both and love both. if you can go to a music store and try them out. personally if your going frankenstrat i'd go floyd but do your research on the locking nut and how far to route or file (if you're like me and love hand tools) on the nut.
if you get a kahler, dont get a "hybrid" complete junk. that being said, id rather buy a gotoh floyd rose for 140 dollars, than an ofr, or original kahler for hundreds. the gotoh will be better anyways.
Better choice do you like like your trem to feel smooth or choppy? Kahler if you like it smooth and Floyd if you like it rough...........That sounded really inapropite. But thats what it boils down to.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
the kahler is...smooth, yet annoying. its very untraditional feeling, and it takes alot to get it under control, and its tuning stability is nothing compared to a double locking tremolo. NOTHING compared to.
Personally, i'd go for a floyd.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
Floyd all the way my man personally I can't say anything bad about Kahler as i have never used one but I just love Floyd's but it is all up to you personally since Eddie used a floyd i would still go with one.

Goodluck on making a decision.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

i know this sounds stupid, but would a 7 string kahler have any different effect (meaning tuning stability and whatnot) than a 6 string one becuase of the tension from the low b ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
i know this sounds stupid, but would a 7 string kahler have any different effect (meaning tuning stability and whatnot) than a 6 string one becuase of the tension from the low b ?

no.
Quote by superbadboy2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1eiMZ5nUk

This videos explain well the differences between booth tremolos.

Hah, beat me to it :p

Those three videos are so good, very in depth and informational... sometimes I watch them just for the hell of it. You will see that both of them have their advantages and its nice to see an unbiased review.

And as the guy says, get a Schaller Floyd. By far the best of all of them, yes they will cost about 300$ but really worth it, especially if your quite whammy bar savvy.

The Schaller would be my personal choice, as it has incredible tuning stability, always returns to perfect picth after far dives and high pull ups, and it has an unprecedented flutter as you will see when he does the flutter test. =)