Page 1 of 2
Ok. So I'm looking for amps.
I'm going to get a Peavey Valveking or Classic 30 but my friend keeps insisting that this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-Series-FW120-120W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481052-i1175923.gc
Is much better for me.

I play mostly modern rock or classic. I also play some heavy metal but not as much. Mostly stuff like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Disturbed, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Nirvana.
Your friend doesn't know tone.

Classic 30 FTW!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Sounds like he just wants to get his amp sold. Dont buy it, the VK would be alot better for you, especially after you get a great speaker/speakers and better tubes.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. I didn't read your post thoroughly. The classic 30 will be far better for you than the VK.
He's crazy about the crate if you're playing what you're playing. Go for the Valveking. I love mine, so I may be a little biased, but for what you're playing, it would probably be a bit of a better choice. You can get a lot of sounds out of it, and it's a full on tube amp...unlike the Crate.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by darkarbiter7

Classic 30 FTW!

+1.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Well actually he's not trying to sell me his. He just loves Crate Amps.
Why is the Peavey Classic 30 more expensive than the Valveking?
[wondering]
Yah go for a tube amp, but the Crate isn't bad I'm guessing. Is he trying to sell you his?
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
The classic 30 just has higher quality everything.
Better stock tubes (the new ones come with JJ's I hear), better speaker(s), better construction, and just better tone. Less features though, and less gain. Oh well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Oh I see. So I guess the extra $100 is worth it?
Well I do like my gain. Would I need a Distortion pedal with it since it has less gain?
You're the one asking what's wrong with MGs and Spider 3s.
It's call being nice, you should try it sometime.
no i know enough about amps, its just the pure hate that comes
up when either of those are mentioned around here that made
me make that thread
but valvekings are really really super awesome amps
sorry if i seem dickish, im tired
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Yea,I know what you mean.
Long day.
It seems like Classic 30 would seem to go better with my sort of tone.
I would say C-30, just a little better all around, not saying the VK is bad, I love mine and it was all I could afford.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Your friend doesn't know anything about amps and should not be allowed to talk about them.

Buy the Classic 30.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lol. True. He says he doesn't need tone because all he uses is distortion. [roll eyes]
I guess C-30 wins. xD
peavey should make a peavey classic 15. i would really appreciate that.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
not as much gain as a VK.
if the most gain you need is metallica stuff, a od will be fine.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by dudey5691
I'd suggest modding a VK, but both amps can do what you're looking for stock.

Classic 30 will be better stock, but the VK after mods would be a margin better.

We see this suggestion here all the time. It's not a good suggestion. For the cost of tubes and a decent speaker, you're back up to the cost of a better amp (like the C-30!). The only time this sugestion makes sense is if you find a cheap, used VK. Then, by all means, pick it up and mod the hell out of it!

Quote by welcom2duhjungl
No, he's not. He's just a big fan of Crate Amps.

The amp he's pushing is meh on a good day. If you really need to appease your friend (and it sounds as if you may have some codependency issues), you can always go with something like the Crate V33 all tube combo. They make a V50, too, but I think the V33 gets more love.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by chea_man
peavey should make a peavey classic 15. i would really appreciate that.

Just pull the two outer tubes and plug the speakers into the 8 ohm output, if you want 15 watts.

But, if you need more gain, there's always the overdrive pedal.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ah. Well I'm going to Guitar Center this weekend to drive out some wahs and the gain on Classic.
;D
Quote by slatsmania
We see this suggestion here all the time. It's not a good suggestion. For the cost of tubes and a decent speaker, you're back up to the cost of a better amp (like the C-30!). The only time this sugestion makes sense is if you find a cheap, used VK. Then, by all means, pick it up and mod the hell out of it!

The amp he's pushing is meh on a good day. If you really need to appease your friend (and it sounds as if you may have some codependency issues), you can always go with something like the Crate V33 all tube combo. They make a V50, too, but I think the V33 gets more love.

I assumed he was going used, and not looking for a 2x12

Sorry about that, but I do see where you are coming from...which is why I also said the C-30 would be better stock than the stock VK.

Again, sorry...I'm really not trying to be a fanboy.
Quote by darkarbiter7

I also suspect he plays metal, owns many Misfits tshirts, and has a small wang.

KIDDING!

There are better amps for the price. More channels, watts, and speakers do NOT make a better amp!
Quote by darkarbiter7
Just pull the two outer tubes and plug the speakers into the 8 ohm output, if you want 15 watts.

i would still have to pay for a classic 30. and would still have to lug around a big 30 watt amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I also suspect he plays metal, owns many Misfits tshirts, and has a small wang.

KIDDING!

There are better amps for the price. More channels, watts, and speakers do NOT make a better amp!

He plays Metal but doesn't own many misfits shirts. He owns like 3 shirts. Metallica, Tool, and SOAD. THREE shirts. That's all he has.

I shall go into a hunt for a peavey classic 30.
Quote by chea_man
i would still have to pay for a classic 30. and would still have to lug around a big 30 watt amp.

The transformers and chassis on a 30 watt amp compared to a 15 watt amp arn't really a notable difference. They're probably both going to be Class A/B amps, with a pair of power tubes and similar chassis dimensions. A heavey amp is a 120 watt one with transformers the size of a coffee mug. But you're right...why buy a Classic 30 if you don't want a 30 watt amp?

Still, there are more and more mass-produced low-wattage amps all the time. The Valve Senior, Valve Junior, Blackhearts, Crate V's and Palominos, Pro and Blues Juniors. Give it a year or two, and you'll see twice as many companies offering twice as many different low-wattage tube amps.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
The transformers and chassis on a 30 watt amp compared to a 15 watt amp arn't really a notable difference. They're probably both going to be Class A/B amps, with a pair of power tubes and similar chassis dimensions. A heavey amp is a 120 watt one with transformers the size of a coffee mug. But you're right...why buy a Classic 30 if you don't want a 30 watt amp?

Still, there are more and more mass-produced low-wattage amps all the time. The Valve Senior, Valve Junior, Blackhearts, Crate V's and Palominos, Pro and Blues Juniors. Give it a year or two, and you'll see twice as many companies offering twice as many different low-wattage tube amps.

haha, but by then i will have already bought something that i dont really want.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^I was gonna mention that. You'd have to go used for it, i think, though.

If you REALLY need a crate, though, first look at slats suggestion. Then, check out a used Crate Vintage Club amp. Nice amps.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Page 1 of 2