Guitar beginner, so forgive me if the answer to this is obvious.

I'm trying to learn a solo, and there are a handful of / marks on the tab, which from what I gather is the notation for a legato slide. The part I'm trying to play has an 8/12 slide on the high E string and 5/9 on the G string happening simultaneously. As far as I can tell, this is impossible; I would need fingers that are like 9 inches long. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Nah, it shoulden't be impossible. Hard, sure, but not impossible.

From what you described, get your fingers used to "one finger, one fret", meaning if your index is on the first fret, your middle should be on the second, ring on the third, etc.

From there it's just a matter of getting used to spanning strings. It'll take a bit of hand strength to do, but it's defenately not impossible. Don't give up so easily
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
But I am going to have to release my fingers off of 5 and 8 before I switch to 9 and 12, correct? Because there's no way my hands are big enough to reach from 5 to 12.
Without seeing the tab, no idea.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Fret 5 and 8 and then slide that shape up to 9 and 12.

There is something called the "one finger per fret rule," which states that you should be easily be able to fret sequential frets simultaneously (sp?).
Yeah, that's just an octave slide. Get your fingers used to streching out and you'll get it
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by rodekio
But I am going to have to release my fingers off of 5 and 8 before I switch to 9 and 12, correct? Because there's no way my hands are big enough to reach from 5 to 12.

I really do not understand what your saying, but from these tabs you would place your first finger on the 5th fret on the g string, and your pinky on 8th fret e string. then you would slide both your pinky and pointer finger to the corrosponding frets without lifting your fingers off the strings. (9th fret g string, 12th fret e string)
Quote by rodekio

No, you slide both your fingers from 5 and 8, to 9 and 12.
You dont play 5 and 12.

play:
G|---5/9---

then play:
e|---8/12--

Now play them both together at the same time using your index finger for the G string and either ring or pinky finger for high e.
Been away, am back