Poll Options
View poll results: Who's your teacher?
My teacher.
94 29%
Me!
232 71%
Voters: 326.
Page 1 of 3
Did you get a teacher to teach you or are you self-taught?

I get lessons. I don't think I'm smart enough to point my own self in the right direction.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Last edited by sixwingmortal at Jul 17, 2008,
i taught myself
no actual lessons...
and not to brag or anything
but i think im going pretty good...
ive taught myself just as much as ive learned from lessons. i take them weekly, but i still teach myself techniques etc.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
still teaching myself....
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
i'm self taught and i prefer it that way. i learn what i want to learn whenever i feel like learning it. it's cool
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I taught myself for a year and half, took lessons for a year and a half, then my teacher got bored half a year ago so I quit and I've been teaching myself for the last half year.
Self-taught. Altho the only problem with being self-taught is having no reason to really practice scales, theory, etc, just songs mainly. Altho I myself think im not too bad at improvising. Altho im gonna be in a band soon, which is gonna give me some reason to learn more scales and such.
I taught myself, I did about a year of lessons but I have the attention span of a rock when people are trying to explain things to me...so ya
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Self taught for the last two years but considering taking lessons.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
. I remember being scared, and recall my dad saying not to worry, if they came here he would throw shoes at them.

Money cant buy you happiness but it can buy you marshmellows!
Ive self taught myself for my entire life of guitar playing.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I've had a teacher for the past few years. He's pretty awesome. He doesn't turn guitar into work with books and such. He just points me in the direction of whatever kind of music I want to play.
self taught. Im happy with my skill level. Figured to do things my way, have my own style.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
i took lessons for about a year, then quit because i wanted to venture out on my own and since then i've learned good soloing techniques, sweep arpeggios, harmonies, that kind of stuff. but i'm not bashing teaching, i enjoyed it and my teacher was an awesome man. i really loved it.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Self-taught. I learned from the book that came with my Squier Strat. I learned the notes of the guitar before I heard of tabs. Then I just started messing around with no real aim. I watched some of the "Shred MasterClass" videos, and learned penatonic minor that way. And I figured out pinch harmonics from a kid I knew, but most of what I know is just from learning songs. I'm trying to keep as much theory as I am technique, but I just can't. However, I am taking the AP Music Theory class next year, which should help me with that.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I think being self-taught is good for musicians in genres like Blues or Rock, however I think it's almost impossible to be a self-taught classical guitarist and be considered good nowadays.
used to be self taught, but then i got a teacher
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
I was taught the basics by a teacher. I taught myself more advance techniques by practicing by myself and/or youtube
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Half and half really.
Classical guitar I got taught.
The rest I really taught myself.
Classical guitar don't teach you tapping.
I had my uncle teach me for 1 day, then he just bailed on me.

SO I'm self-taught
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
My lessons mostly consist of me and my guitar teacher just jamming throughout the entire lesson. He also lends me his iPod and I have to listen to select songs. It's good and fun, and it teaches me how to solo and learn songs by ear.
I was self taught and I'd say I'm far on the scale of any genre and I'm capable of playing really any song that you throw at me, given I would receive the time to work on it and master it.

oops, i forgot an h...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
I started with a teacher

but he was more of a classic rock guy, whilie I like my epic metal.

I quit going because it was going nowhere.
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
I was self taught and I'd say I'm far on the scale of any genre and I'm capable of playing really any song that you throw at me, given I would receive the time to work on it and master it.

oops, i forgot an h...

Ahha. I see what you got there. I used the search bar. First 50 threads didn't have anything, so I just went right ahead.
I have a teacher.
He's awsome, he helps me learn whatever I want to
learn.
I even play at an open mic night with him.
Self taught, played violin a bit in middle school, picked up the guitar in highschool and wow did I suck lol, but hey at least I gave it a try and now it's been about 6 years no classes, no lessons, no teacher besides the music that spoke to me and I think I've accomplished quite a bit. I might not be no jerry garcia or jimi hendrix or joe satriani or eric clapton etc.. but thats alright im jonathan daniels we all got a name, we're all ourselves
"Play on Turn on Live on" - Jonzors

"Without music life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"What you are is what you have been; what you will become is what you do now." - Gautama (the Buddha)
im both, i get lessons from a guy who teaches only on acoustic and really focuses on reading music and theory. so i get that knowledge from him, everything else, my alt picking technique, harmonic minor scales and middle eastern scales i use a lot, my economy picking and sweep picking and tapping is all self taught, i use the Steve Vai workout for my technical warmups a lot, that thing is like a bible to me.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I taught myself essentially. I just started lessons because it will help me get ready for when I do music in college. I can also learn a lot more than I could just by playing with myself.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
I wanted to get lessons, but there's a very limited choice of teachers around here. And the only good teacher moved to New Orleans.
So I taught myself.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
Self-taught in everything.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
I was self taught and I'd say I'm far on the scale of any genre. I'm my own teacher, and I'm capable of playing really any song that you throw at me, given I would receive the time to work on it and master it.

Fixed
I had a teacher for a reasonable amount of time, enough to get what I needed to progress.
Quote by Waterboy799
i'm self taught and i prefer it that way. i learn what i want to learn whenever i feel like learning it. it's cool

+1 self taught ftw!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Page 1 of 3