Page 4 of 441
Quote by adidas
Isn't it accent-free?

If you're serious,
Quote by zed

here at the planuh-arium
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i find americans say ideer instead of idea

especially when i watch occ paul senior says that alot
Quote by lbc_sublime
i find americans say ideer instead of idea
That would be typical of the New York accent.

New workers are known to ad "er" to words that end in A, and an an "uh" sound to words ending in "er." For instance, a New Yorker would "get a pizzer (pizza) around the cornah (corner)."
You all sound the same to me, 'cept I can tell a southerner. As for the UK, I can tell the difference between poms, scotts and irish. I have no idea what a welsh accent sounds like.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Man, nobody would know I was a southerner if they heard me speak. I tend to have quite good English for a Tennesseean. As for the New York accent thing, I think the 'pizzer' thing is mainly in Brooklyn. Maybe cause of all the Jews?
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
^OK hitler
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I have no idea what a welsh accent sounds like.
I've heard one. I can't describe it, but it's the coolest of the ones I've heard from the UK.

And I'm sure you could tell the difference between a Wisconsin accent and an NYC accent. Midwestern/Pittsburgh English in general is considered completely accent-free, at least as far as American English is concerned (I suppose the British did invent the language).

Philly has a nice little accent as well, but it's kind of similar to the NYC accent. It would be like an untrained ear trying to tell apart a Brit from a South African. The accents are too similar for that to be easy.

Quote by Iron_Dude
I tend to have quite good English for a Tennesseean.
Are your parents from the North or educated in the North?

And mine and D's tribe has nothing to do with "Pizzer.," you racist goy prick. We can, however, explain the pervasiveness of Yiddish expressions in the NYC area.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jul 19, 2008,
Okay, that was obviously a bad attempt at racial humor. And yeah, a Welsh accent is somewhat distinct when compared to British or Scottish.

Edit: Actually yes, I'm half Jewish. My mother is from Brooklyn and I have several relatives up there.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Okay, that was obviously a bad attempt at racial humor.
I'm sure the tone in your head was silly and playful, but online, you need to use smilies to convey that. For instance, "goy prick" is pretty offensive language, but my smilie alerted you that it was just to be goofy.

I actually found the comment funny, but there have been occasions where truely insensitive remarks have been posted about ethnic/religious groups in MT, and that can't be tolerated, so when such comments are approached at a much lower level of offense, care must be taken to show that it's a joke to avoid it escalating to anything truely vile and profane.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jul 19, 2008,
Okay, lets try this again.

Perhaps because of all the Jews?

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
And I'm sure you could tell the difference between a Wisconsin accent and an NYC accent.
I could notice a difference, but I wouldn't know which is which.

It would be like an untrained ear trying to tell apart a Brit from a South African.
I can tell a South African from a Brit, but probably because one of my best mates is from SA. Blod Dahmond uh
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I can tell a South African from a Brit, but probably because one of my best mates is from SA.
But you're exposed to that accent. Most Americans (me) aren't (I actually am and still struggle with it).

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Blod Dahmond uh
Wasn't Leo's character from Elsewhere in Africa? One of the Z countries, I thought.
I'm pretty sure he's from south africa, but ah was jost demonstrating the accent uh
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Some guy I used to play lacrosse with had a fairly noticable accent, but it's sort of diminished over the past few years.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I'm pretty sure he's from south africa, but ah was jost demonstrating the accent uh
No no no, I definately remember a scene where Leo's character is telling the girl (was her name Maddy?) that he was from some country that no longer exists and she goes, "Don't they call it Zambia?" or whatever Z country. I definately remember that.

Regardless, I think he sounded South African.
Yeah you're raht, he was actually from rhodesia which is now zimbabwe uh
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Wow, this place has changed a lot in like three weeks..

And about the New York accent thing on the previous page, each borough pretty much has its own accent. On Long Island, we tend to change the "o" in a word to "aw." For example, dog is "dawg," long is "lawng," etc. It's hard to explain. But when you hear a person from Brooklyn speak, you can automatically tell that they're from Brooklyn and not from, say, Queens. And people who live in the city tend to have a snobbish air about them kinda.

I don't know about other New Yorkers, but I can distinguish between the accents here.
Color
is
subjective.
Quote by The Con
On Long Island, we tend to change the "o" in a word to "aw." For example, dog is "dawg," long is "lawng," etc.
I hear that in Brooklyn as well. And a bit in Philly, too, but Philly is basically a wannabe NYC.
Quote by grampastumpy
Wow, it's a lot easier down here in Southern California...can't tell anyone apart around here.
A lot of "Dude, it's about the music dude," down there?

Quote by bangoodcharlote
A lot of "Dude, it's about the music dude," down there?

Only if it's bomb and/or chill music.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Major nerd alert!

I looked up the dictionary.com word of the day, tatterdemalion, and its pronunciation is E E E Q E in 12/8 time!

Weird, I would've pronounced it as 6 eighths. Why does it matter that it's 12/8 time, do you have to leave half a bar rest after saying it?
tat·ter·de·mal·ion tăt'ər-dĭ-māl'yən

TAT-ter-de-MAL-ion

5/4 timing. As in 1,2,3,1,2

I've always wondered what my own voice sounds like. I've heard that your voice always sounds better to yourself than it does to everyone else (something about resonation or something). Well, I think I have a pretty sexy voice with a pretty sexy aussie accent.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
sexy aussie accent

Fackin owff ya maaad bahhhsted

Showus where thaxe hitcha!

Fackoffyaderdycunfacemowl

EDIT: Would any non-aussies care for a translation?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Jul 19, 2008,

I've always wondered what my own voice sounds like. I've heard that your voice always sounds better to yourself than it does to everyone else (something about resonation or something). Well, I think I have a pretty sexy voice with a pretty sexy aussie accent.

Few days ago I was playing Team Fortress 2 on Xbox, and for some reason all sound from headsets was reverberating. I was surprised at how Scottish I sounded compared to everybody else.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Fackin owff ya maaad bahhhsted
Let me rephrase, my sexy VICTORIAN accent, you toohey's/cascade guzzling bastard.

For the americans out there: victoria (where I'm from)>new south wales (where andy's from)
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
you toohey's/cascade guzzling bastard
Too far. The only tooheys worth drinking is old, and I know you meant new or teds. Cascade is tasmanian, why would a newsouthwelshman drink a beer made by triple-headed inbred tassy tiger killers (apart from boags, a fine ale)?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Too far. The only tooheys worth drinking is old, and I know you meant new or teds. Cascade is tasmanian, why would a newsouthwelshman drink a beer made by triple-headed inbred tassy tiger killers (apart from boags, a fine ale)?
Hey, I have no idea about alcohol. The only piss I have ATM is a bottle of baileys and my sis owns a bottle of tequila. To be honest, I barely drink .
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Tequila... What the fuck were the Mexican's thinking? That stuff's evil.
Quote by Eirien
Tequila... What the fuck were the Mexican's thinking? That stuff's evil.
If you cant drink it, sprinkling some salt on your tounge and biting a lemon before shoting the tequila can make the bite go away.

I love tequila, except it's pretty damn strong.

EDIT: cause andy's right
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 19, 2008,
Other way around lad. Skull the tequila after the salt and lemon
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Slammers are the reason I hate it so much. I like tequila sunrises but it's just too much for me to drink straight. Same goes for vodka.
Quote by grampastumpy
Wow, it's a lot easier down here in Southern California...can't tell anyone apart around here.

Same in Nor. Cal. Do Northern Californians have accents to you