Page 1 of 3

This is the Blue Label Esprit 4 by British maker Fret-King. Why is this bass thread worthy?

-Set neck
-mahogany body/neck
-rosewood fretboard
-Fret-King P/J pickups
-surface mounted single saddle bridge
-10 pound weight

First off, this is a Tbird. First thing that comes to mind when you think Tbird is a poorly constructed, neck-heavy instrument that has a muddy sound. This bass has none of it. First of all, the surface mounted bridge removes the worry of it popping off as the epiphone version does. The p/j pickups give a "slightly edgier sound with cleaner note definition." Most importantly, this bass has no head-dive. None. I am not sure how they did this, but Guitarist Magasine thanks its reverse headstock for this.

Best of all? It's 600 euros. That is right inbetween the gibson and epiphone prices, and yet utterly destroys Gibson. This is a Thunderbird with litterally no issues at all priced at mid range level.

See Fitz? Tbirds can be good too.

Any thoughts?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
hmm. uglier, but it seems much better than the Epiphone. it should have a few more woods in it though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
single saddle bridge? What if the intonation is messed up? The bridge pickup looks way too close for my liking.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Looks like it's balanced - it's a shame about the ugly. Plus, the intonation on that thing looks a bit nonexistant. But, I can imagine after a few redesigns, it'll be the Jazzmaster it was meant to be.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The mahogany is not that much of an issue.

Quote by Guitarist Magazine
Gone are the booming and indistinct delivery associated with those early T-stye basses to be replaced with something much more versatile and sonically pleasing.

As for the bridge issue, Guitarist says this.
Quote by Guitarist Magazine
Although in essence this offers a compromise in the intonation, in reality we found it to be perfectly acceptable and exactly right in a visual context.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Wait a sec, intonation can be taken in a visual context? Oh, and something more versatile and sonically pleasing than a T-Bird. Yep, that's an accomplishment.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
that magazine is getting money for saying that. they probably wrote most of it before they ever even saw the bass.

and I think wenge neck>mahogany neck.
and ebony fretboard> rosewood fretboard.

even if it isn't too boomy, those would still be preferred.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

The Epiphone Thunderbird proves that sound quality can be taken in a visual context, how is this different?

But seriously, I am not too worried about intonation, I always found that less is more with saddles (I have always enjoyed vint pbass bridges). The sustain on that bridge must be great.

As for the credibility of the article, it was a review, not a feature. The magasine's sales would plummet if anyone found that they were taking bribes.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jul 16, 2008,
all magazines do it. don't kid yourself. even if they don't, have you ever heard of the new guitar syndrome? they probably didn't pull it out of the closet after keeping it around for 8 years.

it looks like there are only 2 screws on it.

if that is true, it has the sustain of a rubber band.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Jul 16, 2008,
How is less more with saddles? You have no intonation. You could only use one gauge of strings and one setup for the entire time you own the bass. Any change will send it out of whack, only fixable to a general level at best.
Quote by kranoscorp
The Epiphone Thunderbird proves that sound quality can be taken in a visual context, how is this different?

In my books (i.e. how it really is), intonation is not relative - the instrument either plays in tune all across the fretboard, or it doesn't. "It sounds like it looks" sounds a lot nicer than "it plays in tune like it looks."

If basses are born, it looks like the Charvel Star Bass family had an abortion.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Fine then, what would you prefer, a bridge that has poor intonation adjustment or a bridge that intermitantly pops off?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
it's better. that doesn't mean amazing in every possible way.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

That's the same question as this: what should you take - a clock that's completely dead, or a clock that works but constantly shows the wrong time? Answer - the completely dead clock. At least it shows the right time twice a day.

You need a new bridge either way, but I'd rather take the bass that plays in tune before it explodes. At least the bass explodes for no reason, not because I got frustrated with it and smashed it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
That's the same question as this: what should you take - a clock that's completely dead, or a clock that works but constantly shows the wrong time? Answer - the completely dead clock. At least it shows the right time twice a day.

You need a new bridge either way, but I'd rather take the bass that plays in tune before it explodes. At least the bass explodes for no reason, not because I got frustrated with it and smashed it.

I too have a metaphor, would you rather walk over the grand canyon through a bridge that you know can collapse any second, or a very wobbly bridge that you may lose balance on?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Most importantly, this bass has no head-dive. None. I am not sure how they did this, but Guitarist Magasine thanks its reverse headstock for this.
please cancel my subscription.

anyone with two good eyes should be able to tell that it's the reverse body,
not the headstock that makes the difference.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I have instant issue with the fact it's mahogany I'm a bad person.

Wait a minute...

What's wrong with mahogany? Is there some big flaw with it that I'm missing or is it just a personal preference?
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Quote by Confused2316
Wait a minute...

What's wrong with mahogany? Is there some big flaw with it that I'm missing or is it just a personal preference?

too much mahogany reduces all the clarity. and gives it mud. not fun.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
too much mahogany reduces all the clarity. and gives it mud. not fun.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
That's ugly as hell.
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

well at least i got a good sig out of this thread.

trying to defend a T-bird with a "not a T-bird, but looks kinda' like one" ???
mahogany is a dark tone wood, a set neck adds to that dark(muffled) sound. the
p-ups are a nice feature, but why the heck would you use a single saddle bridge?
this looks like a Jazzmaster/Explorer experiment.
with better woods, better bridge, and a bolt on neck, it could work. imo
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
well at least i got a good sig out of this thread.
cccool.

i have my moments.

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
trying to defend a T-bird with a "not a T-bird, but looks kinda' like one" ???
nail ... hammer ... right on the head.

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
this looks like a Jazzmaster/Explorer experiment.
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It looks like a Fender Jaguar's ever so slightly retarded cousin.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I read a review of this. Said it wasn't all that good. I was going to post it up until I saw the review.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It's a shame, Trevor Wilkinson does make some nice stuff.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

anyone with two good eyes should be able to tell that it's the reverse body,
not the headstock that makes the difference.

+10000
String instruments have done ok with fixed bridges for centuries, and most folk keep the same gauge and tuning mostly.
And there's the pythagorean error anyway, so what's the prob?
I think it's an interesting bass- i'd have one.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
single saddle bridge? What if the intonation is messed up? The bridge pickup looks way too close for my liking.

Les Claypool's CT basses are mostly single saddle bridge thingies, and his intonation sounds alright to me...
I like how it looks, and there are a few basses that have a pickup close to the bridge, the warwick thumb comes to mind.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by creepingjesus73
String instruments have done ok with fixed bridges for centuries, and most folk keep the same gauge and tuning mostly.
And there's the pythagorean error anyway, so what's the prob?
I think it's an interesting bass- i'd have one.

No frets on string instruments, so you can sort the intonation out yourself. On guitars/smaller acoustic instruments with fixed bridges, they're usually compensated much better than that one, and the proportion in scale length from a bass to a guitar/mando isn't the same as the proportion to fret size. Smaller instruments with the same off intonation typically have a better time sounding 'in tune' because the fret size helps out a bit.

My Olympia has a bridge like that, and the G string is totally useless past the 15th fret. Not cool.

And what's the prob? Why not just put a properly functioning, and, hell, cool looking bridge (since that's all that seems to matter anyway?)
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
No frets on string instruments, so you can sort the intonation out yourself. On guitars/smaller acoustic instruments with fixed bridges, they're usually compensated much better than that one, and the proportion in scale length from a bass to a guitar/mando isn't the same as the proportion to fret size. Smaller instruments with the same off intonation typically have a better time sounding 'in tune' because the fret size helps out a bit.

My Olympia has a bridge like that, and the G string is totally useless past the 15th fret. Not cool.

And what's the prob? Why not just put a properly functioning, and, hell, cool looking bridge (since that's all that seems to matter anyway?)

You win again. I forgot Les' basses that have frets have trems/proper bridges...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I personally think it looks pretty cool. Hell, just replace the bridge and it should be good, right?
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Looks ugly, tbh I'd get a thunderbird and put the strap button under the neck to sort out the neck dive.

I'd only use it for mainly songs that don't really use any notes past the 12th fret, such as a lot of Jet stuff.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
My only comment is that is a definite case of form and function gone horribly wrong.
Quote by anarkee
My only comment is that is a definite case of form and function gone horribly wrong.

You put into words my exact feelings. Thank you.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by jb_reborn
the almighty guitar guru trev wilkonson has let us all down....

It looks terrible but I get the feeling he knows something we don't when it comes to this single saddle bridge.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?

Lol. Can i sig that?

I think the bass looks alright, but i wouldn't buy it.
Page 1 of 3