Hey guys! I have a quick question here: I recently bought a body off of ebay that consists of 16 alternating strips of walnut and pecan. It's about 12 3/4 inches wide, and about 1 3/4 inches thick. The trouble is, I don't know what kind of cap to use. I have narrowed it down to walnut, maple, or mahogany. I do want a warmer sounding guitar, thicker in the lower midrange, but I don't want it to sound muddy. If there is anybody out there that has experience here, or just any opinions, please chime in. Thank you so much in advance!
That's as bad as buying a plywood guitar lol. Sure, it looks pretty and all, but way too much glue, it's gonna kill the sustain.
^
True, but didn't help him much.
For a warmer and not muddy sound I'd say mahogany.
Certainly not Maple, it's a bright wood.
Durr me, lol. I forgot the second half of my post. :P

I'd cut it into two 1/2" caps and a 3/4" cap. Use that as a cap with a mahogany back. That way you get the tone you want, with a pretteh top.
^ not a half bad idea, (cutting the body and using that as a cap) but only if you have the means to accurately slice the body, and of course, only if you want to. agreed on going with mahogany if you want that warmer tone, maple and walnut are both very bright tonewoods.
^Well you could take it to pretty much any woodworking shop and they'll do it for you fairly cheap.

Hell... If you get that done, you can take the two same size caps and put them next to each other and make a Razorback or V with it, haha.