I always hear ppl say that Les Pauls studios are really bad and are low end gibsons, but isn't it the same as a Gibson les paul standard with less cosmetics and weaker finish ? I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White and it sounds great ... even when its plugged in my marshall mg30.
haha i play my gibson les paul studio through a marshall MG30DFX too.. lol.. i think it sounds good. *yes i do want a better amp* but the guitar sounds great..
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
In and of itself, the LP studio is a great guitar. However, the poor QC of Gibsons in recent years has taken a toll on the Studio more than the standard and other higher models (Just by the sheer fact that it is the cheapest). But if you can play a bunch of Studios and find one that is good, then it's bound to be an excellent guitar.
I have one. I love the thing, it was made in '96. I'd say the best ones are the ones made in the 90's.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
haha i play my gibson les paul studio through a marshall MG30DFX too.. lol.. i think it sounds good. *yes i do want a better amp* but the guitar sounds great..

yeah i too want a better amp, i bought an mg when i just started without knowing anything about guitar ... but im also saving for a new amp, hopefully a nice tube one.
Quote by FloyDZeD
I have one. I love the thing, it was made in '96. I'd say the best ones are the ones made in the 90's.

I bought a 96 LP studio about 3 weeks ago, it's a great guitar I love it!
i own a studio and i find it's a very versatile guitar with a great tone,imo even more versatile than a standard lp cus of the modern humbukers it has. the only downside is that at times the quality of the instrument isnt what somebody would expect from gibson. be careful and try as many studios as u can before u buy one..
Quote by icyfire
In and of itself, the LP studio is a great guitar. However, the poor QC of Gibsons in recent years has taken a toll on the Studio more than the standard and other higher models (Just by the sheer fact that it is the cheapest). But if you can play a bunch of Studios and find one that is good, then it's bound to be an excellent guitar.

site your source on poor QC; besides the 100+ times this statement is repeated here on UG by people, like yourself, who probably never even played a Studio.
SRV R.I.P.
They're usually a hit or miss. They're either good and have nothing wrong with them, or there's a couple of small annoyances with them.
Quote by DGen92
I always hear ppl say that Les Pauls studios are really bad and are low end gibsons, but isn't it the same as a Gibson les paul standard with less cosmetics and weaker finish ? I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White and it sounds great ... even when its plugged in my marshall mg30.

When something's regurgitated often enough, some people actually believe them. The best thing to do is to find out for yourself (not impossible or hard), audition it yourself. Not liking the feel or tone of a certain guitar doesn't exactly mean it's bad or of poor quality; it just means you need to try a different model or brand.

Quote by Ippon
When something's regurgitated often enough, some people actually believe them. The best thing to do is to find out for yourself (not impossible or hard), audition it yourself. Not liking the feel or tone of a certain guitar doesn't exactly mean it's bad or of poor quality; it just means you need to try a different model or brand.

Thank you.

Studios are the most popular LP's, so people find flaws in them more often than Standards. All of a sudden, Studios are made by autistic 3rd graders.
The problem is the price. For the same price you can get a much better guitar from other brands (even from Gibson's other brands like Kramer and Epiphone), or you can just save that bit more and get a Standard/Classic which is then much, much better.

The thing with all the cheap Gibsons is basically you're paying 50% just for the name on the headstock. With the Standards and above, the price is justified by the quality, but with the Studios and similar, they skimp on everything. The 'studio' name is a total joke since the idea of anyone using one for recording purposes is laughable, they exist only so you can say "I have a Gibson yaaaaaay look at me".

For example, an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul is superior to a Gibson LP Studio in every single way. Read any review, talk to anyone who's ever played both, they can tell you. It's a no-contest, the Elitist is basically the same quality as a Gibson Standard and it blows the Gibson Studio out of the water. The two guitars cost exactly the same in most countries. Why does the Studio cost the same as the Epi Elitist if the Elitist is so much better? Because it's got Gibson on the headstock. And that's just in Gibson's own brands.

Look at other brands like ESP or Tokai. Again, quality of a Gibson LP Standard, but at the price of the Gibson Studio. is this because the ESPs and etc are under-priced? Nope, it's because the Gibson Studios are horrendously overpriced considering what they are.

If the Gibson Studio was half the price or at leats two thirds of it's current price, it might be 'okay'. But as it is, it's just not worth the money. Either go to another brand and get twice the quality for the same price, or pay out more for a Standard or Classic and enjoy the full Gibson quality.

The only exception I'll say is the Studios made in the middle of the 90's. Those really are just Standards minus the binding and inlays, and those are(were) fantastic for the money. But now, the new Studios skimp on everything, so it's not worth it at all.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Saying it's not worth the money is a whole different ballgame than saying they're bad quality. Most people seem to miss that distinction.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
is there a way that you can tell what year your les paul studio is made ? ... cause i got mine as a present from my cousin and he has no idea.
Quote by skag187
It's just not the same without the binding

Hence why it's a good $800 cheaper than the Standard (among other reasons).
Quote by MrFlibble
The problem is the price. For the same price you can get a much better guitar from other brands (even from Gibson's other brands like Kramer and Epiphone), or you can just save that bit more and get a Standard/Classic which is then much, much better.

Please define "better". Everyone says it's better than that, it's better than this.
But, no one can really tell you what better means. It certainly doesn't mean
adding up the components used -- a good guitar is not equivalent to the sum of its
parts.

What it comes down to: there's no rhyme or reason and it's quite subjective. Prices
are what they are. Nearly any guitar coming off of a factory line is going to have
some lemons. Are most guitars lemons? I've tried lots in stores and I have yet
to find any I'd qualify as a lemon from any manufacturer.

There are some guitars that I think are exceptional, but what can you say to the
next guy who doesn't think so? Not a thing. Let him find his own exceptional and
what's worth it to him.

The only bottom line is get what you like and what you think is worth it to you.
First off I'd like to say the TS is awesome for owning the alpine white studio

Secondly. Nothing is wrong. I brought mine, Not because it was cheap, but because I like the stripped down look of the guitar (yes I wanted something without the binding).
It plays great, sounds great., and looks exactly how I want it to look.
Maybe I just happened to get a good one, I don't know.

I will say the tuning pegs are ****, but other then that I have no other problems with mine, and people that have used mine have no problems with it either.
I own several guitars including the epiphone elitist that everyone raves about, and the studio is still my favourite guitar.

But if someone was interested in buying one I'd always recommend them to try it for themselves first, and to take what I or anyone else says with a grain of salt.....After all would you really want someone from the internet deciding your next purchase. Not everyone likes the same thing.

And for the record the Melody Maker is a low end Gibson. The studio is mid range at best.
Go into a store an play one,play a few then play a standard.

Then decide.

Don't make the mistake of not exploring all avenues.
Last edited by gagsmedia at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by FloyDZeD

+1

Mine's a '98 (10 years soon!)
Of lots of the modern LPs I've played only about 5 could actually meet the quality of my current LP.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thanks for all your input, the thing is, this les paul studio was my first guitar, and when i bought it i knew almost nothing about guitars or amps ... which is why i made a dumb mistake of buying a marshall mg30