ok heres the story.... i got a 4x12 cabinet it doesnt have any name on it... but it sounds good i need a head for it something that can get good metal distortion but still sound good clean. any suggestions?
budget?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
for that price range you aren't going to get anything too great. Save up another 150-200 then you can start getting into some quality stuff
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Save up a bit more and find a used Bugera or a used (if you get very very lucky, which is entirely possible) Peavey 5150 head.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
normally yeah i'd tell him to save up for a used or bugera... but if he wants it for metal... that half off Crate AMS has will suit him fine. and at $330 he can buy it.
------------
Gibson SG 61 Reissue
Squier Bullet
Peavey Rage 158
Digitech Hot Head
Rocktron Short Timer Delay
Fender Tuner Pedal
im not looking for something amazing.. just something that will play.. i was looking at some line6 stuff and there was a randall amp i liked..
the rule of thumb is... if you're buying a head... buy a tube head. the one i showed you is a crate so it'll be a good 8/10 ranked amp. and crates generally have a really overdriven distortion and a really clean clean.
------------
Gibson SG 61 Reissue
Squier Bullet
Peavey Rage 158
Digitech Hot Head
Rocktron Short Timer Delay
Fender Tuner Pedal
Wow, that's a pretty good price on that Crate, but it's not going to do metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
AH! that is absolute garbage. don't get it. ever.

since it seems like you're set on the crate anyway, you should get an overdrive pedal to boost the amp for a bit more metal tones.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
im not SET on the crate, im not really set on anything i just need something that will get me through and sound good. what about line 6 or is all modeling stuff garbage?
cheap modeling stuff is usually crap. line 6 makes pretty good modelers, but they get expensivo.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Any Line 6 in your price range is pretty crappy unless you can find a Flextone cheap.

I'd say, in your price range, the Crate might actually be the best you can find for now. If you bought a decent Overdrive pedal to go with it, you could pull off some believable metal tones. It won't be spot on as they're not voiced that modern and for that kind of music, but I think it'll be better than buying a cheap SS amp in the same price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah just thought about it... good sorta-voiced tone beats crappy correct-voiced tone.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by maggot2011
So you're not considering the Ultra at all? Get IbanezPsycho in here now!

i am im not set on buying it meaning im not gonna run out right now and get it but im still looking around.
Quote by chrismasinjuly
i am im not set on buying it meaning im not gonna run out right now and get it but im still looking around.

Well it's out of production but somehow manages to go for around $250 on eBay. It's basically a Peavey XXX but some claim it sounds better. So try out a XXX and if you like it then get the Ultra. I wasn't saying go buy it right now by any means but there was no acknowledgment to my suggestion and here I am thinking you were going out and buying a Line 6.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah just thought about it... good sorta-voiced tone beats crappy correct-voiced tone.

+1
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by maggot2011
So you're not considering the Ultra at all? Get IbanezPsycho in here now!

You rang lol.....

The Ultra is great amp for versatility and also it covers pretty much every genre of metal so your not left hangin and has a ton of gain on tap. The cleans are good and can be further cleaned up with a chorus pedal. You have the crunch channel which is great for your classic and thrash genre and ultra for your lead or modern stuff. And to further versatility there is a half power switch to knock it down to 60 watts. The eq is active which equals a ton of tone options. And its pretty much the XXX like everyone has stated, but i actually do prefer the Ultra more and after playing for a bit now i rather it over the 5150. So the list goes on and on and the best part is it cheap and reliable.

There's two clips in my profile (my playing sucks but you can still get a grasp of the tone it can produce) and you can find a few clips other people have put on youtube.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You rang lol.....

The Ultra is great amp for versatility and also it covers pretty much every genre of metal so your not left hangin and has a ton of gain on tap. The cleans are good and can be further cleaned up with a chorus pedal. You have the crunch channel which is great for your classic and thrash genre and ultra for your lead or modern stuff. And to further versatility there is a half power switch to knock it down to 60 watts. The eq is active which equals a ton of tone options. And its pretty much the XXX like everyone has stated, but i actually do prefer the Ultra more and after playing for a bit now i rather it over the 5150. So the list goes on and on and the best part is it cheap and reliable.

There's two clips in my profile (my playing sucks but you can still get a grasp of the tone it can produce) and you can find a few clips other people have put on youtube.

Woohoo the savior... wow you've convinced me to get one as soon as I can now as well. I like the XXX a lot but the Crunch and Lead sound exactly alike and the clean channel is a bit sterile. Like in between a SS and Tube.
I see Ultra heads on craigslist cheap often. If I knew what major city you are near I would search for you. Craigslist, mus inst, search bar. Buy used, save cash, jam happy.