lack of dynamics
sterile tone

Basically things that really matter, though solid states are very reliable
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
edit: alright facepalm was a little extreme so i took it down but still...common.

no more of these threads pleasssssseee...
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by Johnonon
lack of dynamics
sterile tone

Basically things that really matter, though solid states are very reliable

MGs?

Anyway, SS Amps aren't the end of the world, I have no use for them, but if you're a Jazz player who needs those type of cleans or a metal player who isn't gigging they're great for you.

I say so for metal because you don't really want powertube breakup anyway, just preamp distortion, so unless you need that volume or have lots of money I think you're just best off going with a GOOD SS amp.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
It's not that everyone doesn't like SS amps, it's that most of the SS amps that get talked about around here are cheap, crappy ones.

Something like a Line 6 Vetta, HD147, Roland Jazz Chorus, Higher-End Randalls, pretty much any Sunn, etc. are great sounding solid state amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you want versatility on the cheap SS is the only way to go. I still like the digital effects my POD gives, but it sounds better through my Valve Junior then any of my SS stuff.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
turn it up loud and you'll see.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Well there are a lot of sh*t SS amps out there. But high end ones are good. If you play strictly high gain metal go for it I would say. But people hate their harsh, sterile, fizzy clipping in contrast to a tube amps smooth, gorgeous, lustrous, warm... *drools* ahem sorry about that... power tube saturation.
They are built for a small range of professionals (styles) or for very beginner musicians, not much inbetween is good. Most people here are inbetween.
The main problem with SS amps is their harsh clipping when they get turned up. They sound inferior to tube amps in terms of fullness, but they are more reliable.
not worth the trouble. i Would rather use a preamp modeler.
Its easier to carry around. carrying around a SS amp is really stupid and i am told some people do it.
the thing everyone has against solid state amps is that they've hopped on the bandwagon, so they say all tube amps are awesome and all solid state amps suck as though its just a 1-bit calculation. Bandwagoners are digital

They don't seem to understand that only CHEAP solid state amps are sterile, thin and lacking dynamics. Refer to MatrixClaws post for a list of decent solid state amplifiers.

There are some crap tube amps out there, its just easier to build tube amps which deliver a decent tone than it is to build decent sounding solid states due to the way the components work (more circuitry involved in taming the harsh transistor clipping you can get with solid states), so there are less crap tube amps, and there are more decent, affordable tube amps.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Who cares what other people think, its what you think that matters.

What about when you're gigging/performing to others?

Many people just hop onto the bandwagon though. SS have their place, as do valve amps.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'm a tube freak. Do I hate SS amps? No!

However what I play is blues and classic rock. For this kind of music, you NEED a tube amp. Basically for this, you need the tone of cranked tubes

But what are SS good for then? Well they are MUCH more transaprent to start with. For acoustic, I wouldn't even consider anything else! For jazz SS amps work great. Also there are many good modelers out there, some that I'd love to have that nail that tube tone, like the Line6 Vetta and H&K Zentera!

As said, it's because of the bandwagon.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by smb
There are situations where SS amps are better.

yep, i have a friend who plays a lot of thrash and death metal and uses solid state amps, and even though he's tried to like valve amps, he's never found them to be as good for what he does. In fact i know of a lot of metallers who use solid states even though they've tried and denied a lot of valve amps.

And then there's the other side of the coin with solid states. A lot of Jazz players want their tone as clean as possible and want to keep it that way at high volumes. and as gabe said which i forgot to mention, they are great for acoustic guitar amplification too. And, how many bands do you know of that don't use a solid state PA rig?

so if you want solid distortion or solid clean, go for solid states.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Solid state amps are great for practicing - most of them offer a great variety of tones with lots of built in effects, which is great for general jamming and experimenting. It's not really fair to say that everybody hates solid state amps, because they don't. MGs and Spiders just have a really bad reputation, yet somehow seem to be the most well known ss amps.
I say so for metal because you don't really want powertube breakup anyway, just preamp distortion, so unless you need that volume or have lots of money I think you're just best off going with a GOOD SS amp.

why did i have a feeling i'd see this phrase again....

IMO, metal sounds dull and lifeless w/o power tube saturation affecting the tone some. otherwise all metal players would be using SS randalls as opposed to Diezels, Framus's, peaveys, etc. btw i'm not bashing randall one bit .

but i'm sure Wayne Static would totally agree with that statement! lol

if you haven't caught on by now, SS amps are versatile and offer many 'bells n' whistles' in nicely priced packages. unfortunately, after half volume they start to get uncontrollable flatulants.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by PinkFloyd73
ya, i love them, but i just wonder what everyone else has against them

If you ever hope to match David Gilmour's tone, you'll probably need to get over that.

The main thing I have against them, though, is these dopey, repetitive threads with one word in the opening post.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

IMO, metal sounds dull and lifeless w/o power tube saturation affecting the tone some. otherwise all metal players would be using SS randalls as opposed to Diezels, Framus's, peaveys, etc. btw i'm not bashing randall one bit .

but i'm sure Wayne Static would totally agree with that statement! lol

if you haven't caught on by now, SS amps are versatile and offer many 'bells n' whistles' in nicely priced packages. unfortunately, after half volume they start to get uncontrollable flatulants.

that last sentence - here we go again: it seems like you're talking about SS amps as though they are all digital modellers which don't handle being turned up past halfway. firstly, there are some solid state amps which do handle it because they are specifically made to do so. secondly, not all solid state amps are digital.

i'm talking generalized. and the SS amps that can handle being turned up louder are the ones w/ higher wattages. w/ amps that are less than 20 watts, they sound farty after half way.

i shouldn't have generalized ALL SS amps w/ that specific statement, but for the rest of em, they don't sound nice after 3/4 that's for sure. i don't know of any SS amp that can be dimed and produce pleasing tone.

SS amps DO come w/ bells and whistles: two channels, gain control, EQ (sometimes independant when you go up in price) master volume, built in Reverb a lot of the time as well as built in FX w/ ones geared towards heavy FX users.

all those things are taken for granted sometimes....especially when you switch to a lower wattage tube amp. even some of the 30-50 watt tube amps don't have as many features as the SS amps in their wattage range. like i said, those things can be taken for granted.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I like SS, they're just easier to just jam with, but tubes will give you a better warmer tone, I always use an SS for room practice... the only time that I could justify a tube would be jamming with a band or playing live...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Tech 21, nobody mentions Tech 21... Where's the love man? (No I don't own one but I would...)
Everybody doesn't hate SS amps, this thread should prove that. My Da5 blows away my old SS amp, but that's no surprise.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

IMO, metal sounds dull and lifeless w/o power tube saturation affecting the tone some.

+1
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
It is becase 90% of SS amps are under £300/$500 and are generally designed as beginner amps, the bigger versions of these amps, ie MG Halfstacks are because you can look cool to your friends at an affordable price. I'm sure most amp makers get most profit from their SS amps than their Tube amps.
I sound like a broken record with all these TUBE vs SOLID STATE threads but I love my Tube Amps and I love my SS Amps. They both have certain sounds I like. I use SS for METAL (with a M.E.'s Pedal) and Tube for Blues and Classic Rock...

Some SS amps are Great - some tube amps are Great. Some SS amps SUK and some Tube amps SUK. Try out everything you can and decide for yourself.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 18, 2008,
My thoughts on the whole subject would be that tube amps have been sold on their reputation. I, like thread starter play a really nice laney SS, and have found it, coupled with pedals of many types, to be the most versatile amp i have aver played. and the david gilmour guy:
i have a great tone for playing floyd on my SS
Do I have anything against SS amps? Hell no!
I heard a Randall SS amp being played (by a good player) at a store, and it sounded great. Randall's have been known for their SS amps though.
But SS's are good. A lot of people just prefer tube.
Signatures are overrated.