Opinions on the combo? Looking to play with medium dist with OD pedal for more if needed, using guitar volume to roll off to clean and push to OD then use OD pedal to push if it's not enough. I plan to use a clean boost for solos. If this is for me, let me know. It looks like a great amp.
I got some good guitars, yo.
That should work. Do you want a british sound (Chimey. Vox Ac30 for example.) or an American sound (Bright/Twangy. Eg. Fender) The windsor is usually marshall voiced isn't it?
I've almost finished.
Its If You want Like A AC/DC Tone Its The Best In Its Price Range By Far... If you want Any Other Tone Then, Well your Stuck.
I wasn't impressed with it. I think a used Classic 30 would be a better buy at that price, >$400. I thought it was kind of a 'gimicky' amp in that you are supposed to be able to swap out the EL tubes for 6L6's. So in that respect it's kind of unique for a $400 amp. Try it and see what you think.
has anyone even tried the windsor combo yet?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I did for the second time yesterday. Had time to kill waiting on my train so I went to my local shop. I played eq games with it and got some good tones, but overall it was cold and lifeless IMO.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I have.

The amp sounded like it was under a blanket and was overly bassy. The soak feature is pretty useless and all it managed to do for me was to fizz the hell out of the gain. The EQ isn't really responsive either. It was kind of disappointing really, since the amp is quite cheap.

I'm thinking it would be a lot better with a speaker swap.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I'm thinking it would be a lot better with a speaker swap.

You are supposed to be able to replace the power tubes with 6L6's. I would like to what that would sound like too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
You are supposed to be able to replace the power tubes with 6L6's. I would like to what that would sound like too.

The character would mostly be 6L6ish but I'd bet it would still sound somewhat similar.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I have one. I put a Eminance Man O War in it. It's metal.

Only the first 1/4 of the attenuator dial does anything - but it works. You can crank the master and get the same tone out of it @ bedroom levels.
i had big hopes for that amp, but what im hearing is disappointing me.
if it sounded better, im sure it would have cost more.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Everyone was REALLY excited about it, then it got delayed, and nobody liked it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by chea_man
i had big hopes for that amp, but what im hearing is disappointing me.
if it sounded better, im sure it would have cost more.

You should try it, just because some of us don't like it doesn't mean squat. We give it a nod for being able to change the types of tubes without modding it. I think the Crate V line was better, but it's not a metal amp without some help/OD. (In that price range). But looking used and looking Traynor is a good idea too.
Quote by gregs1020
You should try it, just because some of us don't like it doesn't mean squat. We give it a nod for being able to change the types of tubes without modding it. I think the Crate V line was better, but it's not a metal amp without some help/OD. (In that price range). But looking used and looking Traynor is a good idea too.

yeah i will still try it out. but im not getting my hopes up.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
yeah i will still try it out. but im not getting my hopes up.

yeah, that's my kinda thinking too. obviously if i see one i'll try it.

Thanks to everyone who tried/owns it who gave mini reviews there, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just a side note:

The EQ on the PWS is useless.
This amp likes distortion and OD pedals (I have a Metal Muff, Bad Monkey and Morley wah/volume) - and an EQ in the effects loop does wonders (I run a MXR 10 band).
667, why don't you make us some clips showing what the amp can do?
You could really help clear the air on this thing.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
667, why don't you make us some clips showing what the amp can do?
You could really help clear the air on this thing.

Ok. I'll set something up.
I'm not worried about what the amp can do... what I can do is a different story.
ah, that'd be annoying about the eq. It doesn't need to be like an active eq, but if it does nothing... i don't have an eq pedal, wouldn't really fancy having to run out and buy one as that'd defeat the purpose of the cheapness of the PWS...

any clips you can do would be appreciated... don't worry about the playing!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, that'd be annoying about the eq. It doesn't need to be like an active eq, but if it does nothing... i don't have an eq pedal, wouldn't really fancy having to run out and buy one as that'd defeat the purpose of the cheapness of the PWS...

any clips you can do would be appreciated... don't worry about the playing!

Ok, here you go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LtOFpD0_54

I suck.
there is nothing wrong with your playing man.

i would like to hear you go without the pedal and just show us everything the amp can do.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Not bad but I would like to hear it without the metal muff. Just take a video of you playing some riffs/lead with different settings.
Yeah, you're pretty much showing us the Metal Muff tone.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i got the stack...its alright
looking for a new head tho when i need one
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by chea_man

i would like to hear you go without the pedal and just show us everything the amp can do.

Will do.
Last edited by 667 at Jul 19, 2008,
EDIT: ^ thanks.

Quote by chea_man

agreed. that was very nice metal riffing- but we'd like to hear the amp on its own! Nice jackson too.
EDIT: actually, if you type peavey windsor studio into youtube, there seem to be some quite interesting videos...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I actually preferred it without a boost, sounds tinny with the BM...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
thanks very much for the clips. that sounded alright, actually.

and i agree, the clip without the boost sounded better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds pretty good.
I think the real fault of the stock PWS is the speaker. But, as seen in the videos, a simple speaker swap really helped things out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator